I need some dark fantasy reading (not romance--dark fantasy)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by SenorDingDong, Feb 13, 2012.

1. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

So I've been into dark fantasy for a whole now, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations.

I have most of Neil Gaiman's books, just but the Abhosen trilogy by Garth Nix, been getting into Raymond Feist (mostly Fairie Tale), I'm a huge Brom fan, and I've got a few others.

Any more suggestions?

I'm not big into swords and shields, dragons and orcs. I like my fantasy dark, with a tinge of horror to it.

Fiction likes this.
  2. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

China Miéville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council) are dark, knowing, epic, quasi-steampunk fantasy madness. Some swords and shields, but none of that goblins and orcs crap. His work is very consciously not Tolkeinesque. All three Bas-Lag books have won the Arthur C. Clarke Award. Out of the three, I prefer The Scar, since it's got pirates and quantum physics.

Other good stuff of his would be Kraken, an urban fantasy set in contemporary London, apocalyptic and nerdy and mind-bogglingly creepy, Embassytown, a far-future sci-fi linguistics thing which I have some reservations about but is still immensely engaging and dark. The City And The City is a non-fantasy book, there's no supernatural elements at all, but the brainscrewing headfuckery of the premise and its deconstruction/reconstruction makes it almost more weird than Kraken.

3. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

George RR Martin's "A song of Ice and Fire" Sounds perfect for you. Just remember, no character is safe!

4. SenorDingDong

I almost bought King Rat once because it was a runoff of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

I'll definitely have to check this guy's writing out. Thanks!

5. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

You might enjoy Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. (Don't let the sitcom fool you, they butchered that).

EDIT: But yes, great_kthulu is right, George RR Martin might fit your needs too.

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

+1 to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga from George R.R. Martin. Highly engrossing.

Another good read is Patrick Rothfuss' "Kingkiller Chronicles." Granted, there are only two books, and supposedly only 1 more on the way, but they're both extremely good. The first is "The Name of the Wind," the second is "The Wise Man's Fear."

7. SenorDingDong

I'll check out "A Song of Fire and Ice," though I am a bit hesitant to jump into series books (I don't know why really, I just am).

I've seen the reviews and they're great.

I'll also look into "Sword of Truth," thought I believe the series is a but long for my interest (over ten books I believe). I'll probably get the first and see from there.

I'm really interested in The Kingkiller Chronicles, they sound awesome.

8. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

OK, gotcha. I love investing in long series.

So, if you want something good and short (trilogy-esque) then I suggest the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I loved Feist, but Sanderson is a bit more about character development. It's not as "dark" as you've requested, but it might satiate your hunger. It's incredible.

My tastes (for reference):
    Jordan
    Goodkind
    Sanderson
    Feist
    Tolkein
    CS Lewis
    Martin

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Heh, that reminds me, I've had "The Way of Kings" sitting in the back seat of my car for probably 6 months now, still in the bag from the book store. Gotta read it sometime. :lol:

10. SenorDingDong

Tolkein and Lewis are two greats, I'll definitely look into Mistborn.

Hah I have OCD with books, so series books are hard for me--I have to read them all in a row.

Have you had any experience with Tad Williams? I've really been scoping out the Shadowmarch and Otherworld series'.