I need help to be more tolerant of other people's taste in music.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Xaios, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Have you looked at the spec sheet? Pretty much nothing on there is available outside M2M or the Swedish custom shop, both of which are now dead in the water. It is an especially expensive Boden J model and I do think it's overpriced, but it's quite different as far as Strandbergs go.

2. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

You can get those exact specs on a J-Boden. In fact, J-Bodens with those exact specs (minus the Aftermaths and purpleheart stringers) have been offered in the past. I've seen plenty with white finish, unimpressive burl top, rosewood necks, ash bodies, etc. It is just an extremely overpriced, basic J-Boden with nothing special about it. And now, the guitars can't be exported out of Japan due to CITES and many dealers just flat-out refusing to deal with the extra hassle.

3. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Hmm... Never heard Babymetal before. Might give them a shot.

4. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

You can't get those specs, no. The neck and fretboard shapes are otherwise unavailable. They have never offered Japanese ash before. But yeah, the specs are not really a huge upgrade worthy of the price jump. The tops look very nice in person though; every picture online seems to be overly washed out or edited. And it's certainly more interesting than every other signature they've put out, which was my original point.

5. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

You should stay the course and see how long you can go without listening to it...like I’ve done with Periphery

watson503 likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm enjoying how this thread went from "lets try to be cooler about other people's taste!" to "hey, you know that thing some people like? It's the worst." :lol:

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Well, to be fair, it started as "other people's taste is awful, is it possible to be less of an ass about it?", so now it's just people saying "no it is not!!"

Avedas and pastanator like this.
  8. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Backed.

[​IMG]

NateFalcon likes this.
  9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

No, no it did not. It started with me admitting that I'm an elitist asshole and asking for help trying to change.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Hey, I think that's milder wording of the same thing. You said you unfortunately believe that his music (Staind, as the example) was awful, and that you were an ass by recoiling in disgust, and that you wanted help to change. I guess the "IS IT POSSIBLE" was the part I had wrong. But, others are clearly answering that for themselves it would not be. :)

Either way, I think you need to listen to a non-stop feed of music you think is bad until you can listen to it without flinching. It's similar to the classic drinking game Russian Roulette, in which there's a ring of shots around the table with one being bad vodka, and to "win" you have to be good at drinking it without conveying the slightest impression that it wasn't water.

Speaking of bad music, I just was hanging out in another office and heard several songs in a row that were being played very loudly - KC and Jojo - All My Life, Backstreet's Back Alright, If You Could Only See the Way She Loved Me, and Natalie Imbruglia's version of Torn (OK, that one is actually great) are the ones I can remember offhand. I smiled through the whole thing and said "this is some great 90s stuff!!" I'm good at this.

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Apparently this is the part that I'm failing to convey. I'm saying that I don't like it, not that it's bad. In fact I've purposely avoided making value statements about music that I don't enjoy in this entire thread, because at least in my view, there is a world of difference between "I don't like it," and "it's bad." I've also been very clear that the contempt I've developed is a problem stemming from my own personality faults.

The thing is, I know that, on an intellectual level, just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's not good. Unfortunately, when it comes to music, my id tends to manifest before the rest of my brain can reign it in.

12. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

So I listened to a bit of Babymetal last night and... Here's my take: I like the riffs, I like the vocals, I just don't think the two really mesh all that well.

chopeth, NateFalcon and Mathemagician like this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, that's how I feel about it too.

No part is bad, I just don't think it works. Ya know?

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

So change. It’s not hard, just DON’T behave like an overly opinionated 14 year old high school boy.

15. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

:lol:

16. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Listen to whatever...it’s just music. No matter how bad it is, it usually only lasts a few minutes (there are exceptions lol). Bar jukeboxes are the worst...so instead of boo-hooing about it I made my own connoisseur crap collection of music. Throw on NOFX “the decline” and aggravate average folk for 45 minutes straight with ONE song, it’s the best $1.00 I could ever spend...how about some “warm leatherettes”? You know you’re doing good when bar patrons complain to get your music shut off...if I gotta listen to Bruno Mars and Cardi B without complaining then everyone else should be able to put up with some Ed Gein...no?

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

So often I hear in my head that Hevy Devy line where he goes "It's just entertainment folks!"

NateFalcon likes this.