I made a boardsport website. Need some pointers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by buffa d, Aug 3, 2017.

1. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Hello my fellow sevenstringers!

I decided to create a website that shows the best sales on skateboard, snowboard, surf and wakeboard gear. Basically the whole idea started from my habit of always being a cheap-skate and trying to save on every purchase I made. Also, after about 20 years of experience, I go through this stuff relatively quickly which quickly adds up. So I wanted to share everything I've learned so far.

Anyways, I've been writing buyer's guides of every category this summer, but I still need more content on the site. So, if you have any ideas or pointers on what the site is missing, please share!

https://boardsportsales.com

PS. In the following months there will be an actual product feed from online stores, so no need to point that out :).

Thanks in advance!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

There's so much website here with so little content. I'm not sure the format of the site really fits what you're trying to do. This looks like the kind of site you'd see for a tech company trying to sell it's services while looking "modern" and "web savvy" and all that kind of stuff. Nicely put together, but all the fancy bells and whistles make it difficult to navigate or really understand what the site is trying to do. There is more content *describing* the function of the site, then there is content *doing* the function of the site.

3. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input! And yes you are right, it is still very much a "skeleton" that just needs some meat around it. But that is where the actual product feeds come to play so in a way it'll start looking like an online shop. I really want this to be as easy to navigate as possible. Any tips on some changes to make that happen? Perhaps tone it down a bit?

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Realistically, I would be trying to design (re-design at this point?) the visuals around the content, rather than the other way around. The content needs to inform the design, whereas you right now have a sort of arbitrary design that the content gets lost in. If you don't have much content, then just put it all on one page. If you really want to keep all the flashy stuff, maybe make that a landing page, then have the meat of the site on a single second page that is clearer to read.

5. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

You are right about the design. At the moment the site is definitely lacking in content, which I am currently working on. I was even considering having less pages so there would be more content on one section. However, I feel the main landing page is going to have a major change first to make it more simple.

Again, really appreciate your help!

TedEH likes this.
  6. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Alright back at it again. Now I have about 3000 products on the site and I have changed some visual elements that I think work a bit better.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Looks like an improvement over what you had before.
    I still have some criticism though-

It's not clear anywhere on your site that you are not actually the one selling stuff. You're setup like a store, but it's all (I assume) affiliate links. Nothing messages to the user "I've done the searching for you, here's the best deals I found", instead it reads as "I am a store, buy my things".

I viewed a page about shoes, and they all looked identical. 3000 products makes a great bullet point, until you go to the site and realize it's more like 300 products, with 10 variations each, listed as if they're unique products. Creating a whole new product listing for every size of shoe just fills up space. The shoe page only had one shoe on it, no matter how many times that one shoe showed up on the page.

buffa d likes this.
  8. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Yeah it is on the about page, but not on the front page or anything. I was actually thinking of being more transparent and clear about it but don't really know where to point it out.

As far as the product listing goes, you are right - the look identical. The biggest issue with this is that they are all of the same model, but with different sizes. And as they are affiliate links from a csv file, I don't know if I can display them in any other way. Would be cool to have only one picture of the same model but in "multiple sizes". I'll have to see what I can do. It should be possible though.

I can say that this has been a fun project so far though! Always fun to learn something new.
    And thanks again, you've been very helpful!

9. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Yo, I didn't see the initial site, only what's available as of writing.
    The opening site looks good, and navigates well.

I'll second that it isn't clear who you are. The cart gave me the impression you're directly selling, but like with the other comments, I'm unsure about this.

I haven't checked which tool/generator you're using, but will say that the site doesn't wrap too well to smaller screens.
    It's all about mobile devices these days ;) so I'll suggest you start using CSS Grid as a wrapper to allow your design to shrink-wrap nicely to various size screens: Cell phone, pad/tablet, and laptop size - larger screens can be left to the same as the laptop.

I'm about putting my last efforts on my own new site (which is about web design, 3D CAD, and IT consultancy services), and went for Grid.
    Lots to learn, but it allows to control how it wraps to screen size just nicely.
    Lots of cool videos about it on Youtube; I'll suggest watching:
    Morten's "CSS Grid changes everything" - a great overall presentation
    Traversy Media's series on Grid - he's really good at explaining stuff
    Rachel Andrew's series - she's called the holy grail on Grid

Anyways, have fun with your new toy!
    Oh, and I really need to get back into skating, hahaha ;)

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I guess my previous criticism still holds up. It looks like you had a site designed, and shoehorned some content into it, rather than starting with the function and content then designing the site around that.

And that's my point. The structure of the site is sort of part of the content. The site map, the layout, etc. all communicate to the user in some way- they send messages about the function and intent of the site. Structuring things to look like a shop sends the message that you are a shop- which you are not.

I said it before, and I'll say it again - design the site around the intended content, not the other way around. If you design first, and find that the design doesn't match the content later on, then you're stuck with a site that sends the wrong messages to your users.

buffa d likes this.
  11. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Alright I'll keep at it!

12. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

It's a beautiful site with a nice design, but I do have one criticism:

Upon landing on the site, you're presented with a clean, minimalist design. However, unless you're paying attention to your scroll bar, you'd think that that's all there was, and so you'd have no reason to scroll down to see Staff Picks, etc. You need to make it clear on your landing page that there's more content below.

buffa d likes this.
  13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

kinda annoying the brands don't show in alphabetical order

other than that its nice enough

buffa d likes this.
  14. buffa d

buffa d SS.org Regular

Alright thanks!
    I could just make the image smaller so that it is clear that there is more.
    Easy fix though

As for the brands being in alphabetical order...
    I know! I have been wrestling with that issue for a long time now. It's the same issue with the sizes as well. I'd also want more than 10 products on the page at a time, but if I do that the filters stop working for some reason:facepalm: