I have decided to start my own business

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Guitarwizard, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Guitarwizard

Guitarwizard SS.org Regular

Some of you might have seen this thread:http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/62403-commercial-film-score.html.

Composing music for any kind of commercial use, wheter advertisements, phone waiting-lines or what ever, has always been in my head. As far as I can imagine, or at least as I assume and hope, this field seems to be one of the last ones in which there's actually money to be made by making music.
    I have done some some similar jobs in the past on a semi-pro basis, some with pay, some without, but lately I have become more serious about it and I have a small portfolio together to show.
    I think by the time I became quite good at it, and I'm ready to take the next step.

My goal is to get the business running by first concentrating on telephone waiting-line stuff.
    There are tons of small businesses which have their main connection to the outside world through the telephone, but still use the boring beep-beep tone.
    Also, as the piece of music will be played through a really bad mono-speaker anyway, there is no need to really get the highest-possible production quality.
    Also, as I don't really have a network yet of very good studio musicians,
    I have good chances to do most of the jobs by only using VST's and synths (of which 99% of commercially used music consists anyway).
    But nevertheless, I don't have enough opportunities at the moment to also offer vocals, for example. But that shall change sometime, I think.

Getting customers will probably be the hardest part. I think I will start by focussing on internet (website, mailings) and mass-sendings of advertisements through the good ol' postal service.

In the far future I want to expand the whole thing on to website-sounds, corporate audio, tv-spot music and so on.
    But I'll see what the future brings.

Any suggestions, thoughts?
    Has someone of you done something similar?
    Can you see any must-do's and big no-no's I should be aware of?
    How do you think should I handle the pricing, what would YOU pay for a similar service?
    From a technical view, what equipment do you think I NEED to have?
    So far, everythings been basically doable with just loads of VSTs. Is there anything else you recommend?

Thanks guys!

Daiephir likes this.
  2. Daiephir

Daiephir likes peanut butter

I cant say I've done any of this, but I wish you luck :agreed:

3. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

I think it's pretty fucking cool. Any job where you get paid to write music is awesome. :yesway:

4. Sebastian

Sebastian Poland CEO / RHLC ©

I have to agree with Rick :agreed:

:yesway:

5. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

You found a talent, you saw an application, you will succeed. :agreed: