I have an idea for megathreads

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by jonajon91, Jan 18, 2013.

1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

This came to me just no as I was looking over the Ibanez 2013 thread, and people were saying that they did not want to read through all of the 70 odd pages to find the important posts.

So I thought that if someone post a picture of a new ibanez in the forum, something that people will want to see, without reading through, it will receive a lot of likes. My idea is that if a post gets a certain number of likes (5 or 10 or something), then the page would become highlighted on the page selector thingie.
    Perhaps this helpful diagram will explain better then I did.

So if people went onto the thread after a few days, they could just look at the pages that were red and be pretty much caught up.

Attached Files:

2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Not a bad idea. The problem is that it assumes every post that has a lot of likes is also going to contain substantial information. This isn't always true.

For example, this post of mine in the Ibanez thread has 10 likes. It's a witty remark, that's why it got likes. The fact is, however, that it contains positively no substance with regards to what people searching the thread are hoping to find, pictures of new Ibanez models. It's simply an amusing commentary.

3. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I guess, but either way, a comment getting a lot of likes would still be entertaining to read, so it could be used as more or a highlight for the best bits of the thread (?)

4. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Creating one thread for news and another thread for discussion would be a hell of a lot simpler and works quite nicely in my experience. Links to the other thread in each OP for easy access since the news thread wouldn't get bumped as much.

5. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Would still be a nice implement that would be cool to see.