I eat fun fruit (you should too).

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Murdstone, Mar 15, 2014.

1. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

nice thread!

2. Anders Petersen

Anders Petersen SS.org Regular

Wow, I would expect an alien to hatch from those fruits!

3. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I chopped up the Korean melon last night but didn't take any pictures. It tastes exactly like cantaloupe and would be pretty good on its own or in a fruit salad.

4. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I actually found some quince at my neighborhood market the other day, I think I'm going to slice it into pieces and make a kind of mulled wine or digestif with it. I'm letting it ripen now until it turns yellow and fragrant which should be soon. I'll update with pics once I figure out what to do with it.

And I ordered some physalis seeds and have a few sprouts already. I'll see if I can get them to be big enough to make any fruit by the coming fall. The supplier was nice enough to throw in some huckleberries too, so I'm going to try to get them to do something as well. It's late in the season, but I'm sure it'll be okay.

5. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Wax Jambu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These have a lot of different names but this is what they were called when I bought them. They have a consistency of a mixture between an apple and watermelon and taste vaguely pear-like, but for the most part are just water in fruit-form. They were really juicy and a little sour so it makes me wonder if I ate them too early. Regardless, they were interesting for their texture and shape. Maybe I'll give them another shot if I see them again.

Quince

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man what a pain in the ass fruit :lol: These are like really hard apples, the insides are basically fruity wood. I let this one ripen a few days after I got it expecting it to soften a bit but it seems like that isn't going to happen. They get pretty fragrant after a day or two, like an exaggerated apple. When you start to cut them they oxidize really quickly and turn old-apple brown. What I did with this (since I only got one to try) was peel it, chop it into small pieces, and poach it in a simple syrup with cinnamon stick and vanilla for about 1-2 hours. Seems like a pretty common thing people do to quince, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's still simmering right now so I'll edit back with the verdict.

EDIT: So I only ended up letting it poach for about 45 minutes. You can see that the fruit darkened a bit and is now really soft to the spoon. The smell was delicious while it was cooking. The finished product would go great with some vanilla bean ice cream or in a pie, so I'm opting for the former right now. I also saved the delicious yellow syrup, which will probably go over some waffles soon.

6. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Mangosteen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally tracked down some of these elusive bastards. The hunt was worth it though because these are one of my favorite fruits that taste like nothing else. If you find some, definitely get them. Make sure to look at the bottoms and count the tiny leaves - the fewer the better. Usually leaves correlate to number of segments inside, and fewer leaves means bigger, tastier pieces. The texture of the segments is really delicate like a banana without all the fiber. I guess the taste is like some sort of grape-apple-pineapple combo. You can buy mangosteen juice at Asian markets, but it's oversweetened and doesn't really taste right. The best way to eat them is just straight out of the rind.

7. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Fifth post in a row I know, but the fruits just keep coming now that the seasons are changing and weather is nice.

Jackfruit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jackfruit are like the biggest fruit in the world. I didn't buy an entire fruit but rather some pieces since a) it would've been expensive to get an entire one and b) I don't really like them very much. The taste is similar to durian in the sense that it's very sickly sweet but without the oniony flavors and even sweeter. The texture is very firm, almost like a piece of cooked meat. It's also kind of stringy so you don't get a lot in each piece, but I guess that's why the fruits are so big.

Mamey (Sapote)

[​IMG]

Check out that gigantic seed!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a pleasant surprise, I didn't expect to find any mamey (mah-'may, not mommy) around here but they were being sold for $3/lb right down the street. A full-sized mamey is generally about 3 pounds, but you get a lot of meat from them. Mamey is very creamy like an avocado when it's ready (very soft outside, fingerprints will leave an indent) and has a very subtle taste sort of like a sweet potato but actually sweet (I don't like sweet potatoes very much so they aren't TOO similar). I like to blend the meat of an entire fruit with about 6 ice cubes, a cup and a half of milk, 2 tbsp of vanilla yogurt, and 1 tbsp of agave nectar with a dash of vanilla extract on top. This makes a nice thick smoothie with a very attractive color that's really refreshing.

I spotted some star apples at the market the other day too but didn't have any cash on me, I'm going to try to get some soon.

8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I'm totally agreed on dragon fruit. Beautiful, but disappointing to eat.

I'm personally a sucker for lychee. Good finger conditioning to get into the little buggers, too. :)

9. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I like lychee too, and rambutan which are very similar. You should try longan if you haven't before, they're just as tasty. The Thai place down the street makes lychee mojitos that are pretty girly-delicious :lol:

10. alvo

alvo SS.org Regular

Glad I'm not the only one. Longan and lychee is good. Cherimoya too. I haven't had much others, living in Alaska doesn't help...:scream:can't wait to move

11. Trainwreck1446

Trainwreck1446 SS.org Regular

I can never find any of these in Indiana =/

12. lava

lava Gelatinous

I also love weird fruits and I've tried about 75% of what you've posted here. I make a point of looking for stuff like this when I travel. I tried Durian in Cambodia and... it is NASTY!! :D

13. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Mamey apple

[​IMG]

This fruit was fucking disgusting. From the outside it looks and feels just like a mamey sapote (see above), but apparently they aren't related. They definitely aren't related in taste. I don't know if you're supposed to cook it or something before eating it, but it tasted like a really pungent jackfruit, sickly sweet and kind of sour, with the texture of a soft stringy mango. Just the smell made me want to gag, but I tried it for the sake of fruit-kind and immediately regretted it. Do not want.

I also recently got my hands on some cape gooseberries or physalis (also see above) and they're okay. I'm not sold on their flavor though, it's like a sweeter kumquat with a weird aftertaste. I also bought some finger limes which are awesome (picture green-pink salmon roe with the flavor of a lime that you squeeze out of a tiny elongated lime the size of a bean).

14. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Nice thread. In Southern California, one can find loquats growing everywhere. For those who don't know, it's another southeast Asian fruit. It is a naturally sweet fruit, with varying acidity depending on ripeness, with a soft rind that bruises easily and oxidizes quickly. They also have a bit of fuzz on them before washing, but you can't really remove the fuzz very far in advance unless you want some bruised, oxidized loquat rinds.

[​IMG]

I am surprised that I do not see these in the market. Maybe elsewhere. When they are in season, a single tree will be covered in the fruit. The branches can get quite heavy.

[​IMG]

The fruit contains several large seeds, but still has substantial meat. They are apparently popular in jams and pastries, but I have only ever eaten them raw.

[​IMG]

Another non-native California plant. These grow all around the world, so I don't know whether this qualifies as "exotic," but you certainly won't see them for sale anywhere, so it certainly counts as unusual fare. Solanum nigrum, or black nighthade, bears small, dull-black, edible berries. I know, "nightshade" is supposed to be poison. These ones aren't, though I wouldn't suggest eating everything you find growing in the wild, since the similarity between different species (including the edible and deadly ones) can be difficult to discern. The nightshade family (Solanaceae) contains such awesome food crops as potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant, right beside some not-so-friendly plants that are known the world over in various tongues as "goddess of death" and the like. Don't mess. Solanum nigrum has a flavor that is somewhere between a tomato and a currant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another solanaceous fruit is the pepino melon (Solanum muricatum). I like the way these look, with their pale yellow flesh and purple stripes. In terms of size, they are comparable to a lemon. They can be larger or smaller. The texture is like that of a canteloupe, hence the name "pepino melon." I can't really speak for the taste, as I've only had a handful in my lifetime. They are somewhat like a tomato, but can be sweeter. The ones I've had from markets tend to be bland, which I think might have something to do with refrigeration. (This would make sense, since tomatoes lose their flavor if refrigerated.)

15. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Lucky you ! I eat about 15 boring fruits a day. :(

16. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I tried Durian once , it smelled and tasted like old dead dog.

17. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I've never had loquats, but they've been on my list of things to try. I haven't seen any in these parts though, so it could be a while. Pepino melon on the other hand is pretty tasty sometimes, other times it's rather bland like you said. I think it probably has to do with freshness.

18. Richie666

Richie666 SS.org Regular

Prickly pears are delicious!

I don't know how uncommon they are elsewhere in the US, but my friend ordered a bunch of pawpaws from the midwest last fall and they're incredible. Like banana mango custard in fruit form.

I gotta try some of the stuff you posted. I've had quite a few of them but I'd love to get my hands on a dragonfruit and a cherimoya especially if it's similar to a pawpaw!

19. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

We have a loquat tree and a lime tree in our backyard.