I can't drive 55!....and apparently shouldn't have to.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BigM555, Dec 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BigM555

BigM555 I SS.org Salute You! Contributor

There are some interesting statistics in this article.

The problem with speed limits is that they are too low

Hmm, fewer accidents but more severe when they do happen. :scratch:

Discuss.

2. noodles

noodles <font color=#FF0000><b>I'm your huckleberry</font> Contributor

Germany has the lowest traffic accident rate in the industrialized world. End of argument.

3. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

:agreed:

Let us drive faster and everything (for the most part) will be okay.

4. noodles

The flip side to that coin: a German driver's license is really hard to get. They have a 100 question multiple choice exam, a 100 quesiton traffic sign identification exam, and an in car exam. You need to score at least 85% on all of them. Most people fail the first time out. These tests are the culmination of two years of in class and on the track instruction, covering the full range from learning to drive to accident avoidance. The police target tailgaters, drivers who pass on the right, and non-attentive drivers (using cell phones, eating, drinking, fiddling with the radio, etc). In Germany, the driver is someone you don't converse with, because they dedicate all their focus to controlling the vehicle.

They maintain safety the real way, through education rather than regulation. Implementing their way of doing things would be an enormous undertaking. We would have to start by implementing the education system, and then slowly up the speed limits as the licensed drivers of the old system slowly drop off due to aging and death. We would require the same level of DOT infrastructure, monitoring the entire interstate highway system with cameras to identify accidents, traffic jams, weather patterns, road failures, etc as they occur, dynamically imposing speed limits as required. Our police would have to recieve new training and new areas of focus. The German Autoban system is completely computerized and automated. They highways are stuffed full of electronic signs that are constantly changing to keep the driver abreast of what to expect ahead.

They are so far ahead of us that it is staggering. It is like comparing our military technology to that of Iraq.

5. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks User Contributor

...and most of Germany still has speed limits.

6. noodles

Only the Autoban is fully open, and that is not in all areas, and it changes based upon conditions.

7. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 <b><font color="deeppink"><3's Tsukasa</font></b> Forum MVP

It's also illegal to stay in the passing lane :agreed: and you get a huge-ass fine which kicks ass.

One thing that I don't like about driving in Europe is that there isn't a gas station every 5 miles :lol:

8. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

germany makes good cars.. ;)

question: you get to drive when you are 16 right? how does that affect traffic accidents? its 18 over here.

also a high price might encourage people to study for a hard test. i have no statistics of accidents in norway, but a final test is about $250 here, and most people fail it once or twice. thats expensive even for a swede :D

and autobahn is amazing.. i was abit scared goin on it the first time but it really is awesome, it leaves you with a feeling that "shit this is such a practical well made and smart sollution.. its crazy that its not implemented all over the western world really."

9. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Saying we should have higher limits because it works for Germany really isn't the answer. We need better education for drivers, and far stricter requirements.

10. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

They also take care of their roads, not to mention build them much better. It's a deathwish driving fast out here.

11. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

also, i've read that when Europeans drive, they ONLY drive. due to gas costing so much more over there, they drive to drive. they don't eat sandwiches, drink gigantic sodas, or talk on cell phones while doing 80mph. they drive 90mph and enjoy every mile of it.

...at least, that's what i've read :)

12. noodles

German traffic fines are not fixed rates. They are a sliding scale based on income. So, a ticket doesn't wreck the poor guy's finances, and the rich guy actually gets pissed off because of what he has to pay. The History Channel special I was watching on the Autoban said that the typical millionaire pays around $50,000 for a tailgating ticket.

13. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Holy shit.

14. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

On the flip side, fuel economy decreases sharply after 60mph.

15. Jason

Jason <b><font color="#222222">Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!< Forum MVP

Nice :yesway: the it should be :agreed:

16. noodles

Yep. Fines are supposed to be a deterrent. Not an impediment to survival (to our poor) or a minor nuisance to be shrugged off (by our rich).

17. BigM555

That's fucking awesome! :yesway:

18. BigM555

Oh, and I completely agree about education being necessary.

We constantly hear and witness here in NA that drivers are getting worse. The technology and solutions are out there our Govts just refuse to implement them.

On a less serious note I think the implementation could be pretty quick. No need to wait on the old folks to kick it. The ranks will thin themselves. :lol:

19. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Fuckin Europe. Why do they figure this shit out while I have to live in fear of Trudy the soccer mom who's half-baked on anti-depressants while driving her 5 ton SUV and using her cell phone as a vibrator? :shrug:

Anyway the real downsife to better driver's ed is that most schools, around here at least, don't even offer it. You have to take it from private driving schools. So somehow somebody would have to pony up the dough to get it back in the schools. Of course we can't do that might cost somebody a fuckin nickel.That's your tax dollars needlessly spent. So my hopes aren't up.

noodles likes this.
  20. Nerina

Nerina mermaidunicornnymph

I agree with how the Germans make it hard to get licences, when I took my test in South Florida I couldnt believe how easy it was, a 12 year old could do it! Thats why there's so many BAD drivers down here, because they hardly test you on anyhting and people that dont completely understand the traffic rules, or dont care to understand. are more likely to be really bad drivers......