I bought a used RG8, was it modded?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by twistedlfos, Jun 9, 2018.

1. twistedlfos

twistedlfos SS.org Regular

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, but this seems like the right place to ask some questions.

I bought an RG8 today off craigslist. The stock bridge pickup has been replaced with an SD Nazgul soap bar. The volume pot has been removed and replaced with a killswitch. The Tone pot is now controlling volume. The stock bridge pickup has been grounded to the output jack. (this is what the seller tells me), because he thought it sounded like shit. The 3 way selector if moved to the neck pickup or middle gives no signal.

After taking the guitar home, playing it on my own rig, and trying out a few pedals. I felt like the guitar was just very noisy. Especially the kill switch. I felt like maybe Ide enjoy soldering the neck pickup back in and taking a look under the hood. So i took the back covers off with a screwdriver and I see a big mess of different sized wiring, questionable soldering and exposed leads. I took a few photos to add here.

Ive soldered a few components on circuit boards before, but I honestly have no idea what Im looking at here. How much has been modified? What do I need to do to connect the neck pickup (or unground it). I would like to replace the neck pickup with a Sentient to complete the pair. If I do this, will I lose the kill switch? Im okay with not having a tone control.

It seems like I took over an abandoned project.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated

IMG_8776.jpg IMG_8777.jpg IMG_8779.jpg

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That looks like a freaking mess. Rip it all out and replace it with new components. It's a really good, cheap upgrade anyway.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

definitely rip that crap out and start fresh.

twistedlfos likes this.
  4. twistedlfos

Lol i get plenty of wire ready! Any resources you guys know of? Ive never wired pick ups or a kill switch before.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

dimarzio has easy to follow diagrams, same with seymour duncan's website. guitarelectronics has wiring color code diagrams for most brands.

twistedlfos likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I wouldn't just replace the wire, I'd throw a new pot and switch in as well. There's no telling if the previous owner fried them when attempting to solder.

7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

8. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

The surest way to know you’re playing a modded RG8 is if you can play it.

9. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

FUBAR. Yes... it has been "modified"... by Helen Keller with Ray Charles doing the quality control check. Rip it all out,.

twistedlfos likes this.
  10. Zender

Zender Tinkering, please hold.

One if the things I always do when buying a guitar (I don't order them online, I always pick up in person), is to check the wiring.

Someone made a right mess out of this one. Yank it all out, put in proper high-grade parts. For those parts that you can, poke some holes in the right places in a sturdy piece of cardboard, and mount the parts there. Solder without having to mind the body of the guitar. Alternatively, use thicker copper wires that you can bend perfectly to the form of the cavity. (A bit like Dunwhich Amplification wires his pedals.

A killswitch is obviously possible, either a press-button, or an actual switch. It's just a matter or wiring. Draw it all out on paper and think it over. Take your time.

Soldering is fun :)

M3CHK1LLA and twistedlfos like this.
  11. twistedlfos

Thanks for all the replies everyone. The only thing I cant find documentation for yet are the stock pots in the RG8. Do I need to replace them with a specific type (EMG, Fender, Etc) or is that just down to look and preference?

Edit- just saw the "know lots about tone pots thread" My bad.

Edit 2- Its a Push Pull Pot, Lots of messy solder on this one, everything else is wired into it with split cables like a mixing desk. Anybody able to help me locate what kind of Push Pull Pot i can replace this with? Ide like to take a look at what this should look like on its own.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  12. twistedlfos

Ive been looking at Push Pull options for wiring it back up. So far the contenders are:

1) Bright mod. (Since I only have 1 pot, and its volume, is a brightness mod really going to make a difference? this one seems to be the most basic. Kinda seems like a nice "goes to 11" option)

2) Push Vol. Pull Tone. (Problem with this one is I cant find a definite answer on how this works. As I understand it, as soon as I engage the pull or push the volume/tone will either jump to the current value the pot is set to, or it will just jump straight to 10

3) Push Vol, Pull Vol+ 1 capacitor installed. (this one seems interesting to me too, however I dont understand the difference between this and a tone pot)

4) Push Vol, Pull Reverse Phase (this seems cool but without any ability to blend, I really dont see the point in this.)

Any tips?

13. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Honestly sounds like too much trouble, the Nazgul is made for one thing really. I doubt the split sounds will be anything extraordinary. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're new to soldering. I'd recommend keeping things simple so you can focus on getting it right.

bostjan likes this.
  14. twistedlfos

Alex79

Simple as in not using the Pull on the push pull Pot?

Ive been soldering components with thru holes, but this is new territory. I know how to strip tin and use flux, so whatever I do is going to be better than what the previous owner did lol