I Am Setsuna: The closest to a new Chrono game we'll get right now

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Bloody_Inferno, May 24, 2016.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Square Enix's attempt on acknowledging 2 things: their recent J-RPGs are stagnating, and the Chrono franchise actually still exists.

While not part of the Chrono canon per se, it might as well be. I Am Setsuna reeks of SNES era, old school golden age J-RPG gameplay, it's Chrono Trigger in all but name and plot.

Oh, and the premise borrows heavily from Final Fantasy X and Tales of Symphonia... but let's not worry about that and reserve judgment for the time being. :lol:

2. Spectre 1

Spectre 1 SS.org Regular

There's something about a piano and a JRPG that literally makes me tear up. Nostalgia and melancholy are such beautiful emotions.

Then the random battles begin when you just want to get to the next screen and save so you can go shopping. :realmad:

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

That girl's voice is not at all suited to narration.

Also, watching that gave me the impression that it's deliberately trying to ape Chrono Trigger, especially the whole "protagonist who's gonna die" schtick. The thing is, unless it was spoiled for you, you had NO IDEA when you started playing Chrono Trigger that Crono was going to die. It was one of the biggest "HOLY ...." moments in gaming up to that point.

Don't mind me though, I normally hate JRPGs. Chrono Trigger really stands out as one of the few that I enjoy, let alone can say is one of my favorite games of all time.

4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

If square wants to restore my faith in them (and upgrade from my ps2) they'd make a proper sequel of final fantasy tactics.

5. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

Damn you, I still haven't played it :lol:

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Too bad. The moratorium on spoilers for that game ran out a looooong time ago. :lol:

7. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

I know :lol:

Shame on me for not having played it yet.

8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I still have very fond memories of naming my Chrono characters Aaargh, Waaah and Gahhh.

It got a bit confusing, but made all of their conversations utterly hilarious.

9. Pav

Pav ???

BUMP!!! This game is available in 8 days, is anyone else excited?? I can't wait personally, I've been craving an old-school JRPG for years now. Even if this turns out to be nothing more than a glorified modern Chrono Trigger remake, I'll be happy.

10. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

That soon? Hell yes!

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Anyone grab it yet? I wanted to, but 40 bucks is a bit rich for my blood right now...

12. Pav

Pav ???

I had it pre-ordered so I've had it since midnight on release. Unfortunately, real life struck in the form of my girlfriend's birthday so I haven't been able to touch it yet. Reviews have been unanimously positive at least.