I’m Thinking of Going to Drake/Migos Concert

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BenjaminW, May 14, 2018.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I usually do everything I can avoid rap music in general but when I was browsing Twitter earlier today, I noticed that Drake and Migos were going on a big North American tour and they happen to be playing in Oakland on October 26th and 27th. Again, I avoid rap but I figured it might be interesting to check out a rap concert. Is it really worth all the hype?

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Rap is a vocal style, popularized by the genre hip hop. Drake is a hip-hop/R&B artist who sometimes raps his vocals.

I like hip-hop, but I'm not really into Drake.

Calling hip hop "rap" is like when people call metal "screamo".

3. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Close, but hip-hop is a culture, not a genre. Breakdancing, MC-ing, graffiti, DJ-ing...they're all elements of it.

Drake is a rapper for sure, but he sings/autotunes his own hooks and occasionally verses. He's not an R&B artist simply because he sings. Migos blur the line even further.

This stuff is catchy and fun to listen to on record sometimes, but it's calorie-free. I can't really imagine the live experience helping that at all.

4. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Expand your musicial horizons my dude. We only get one chance at this life thing.

Why do you typically avoid all "rap" music?

BenjaminW likes this.
  5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Can you get a GA ticket and get in the pit?

Cause believe me, no rap show is worth it if you can't get in the pit. It's just weird being in stadium seats at them, but I tend to go to smaller rap shows that do not have seats at all.

I'd love to see Drake and Migos just to say I had seen them, but I'm not a huge fan. I'm much more into the underground rap scene and really prefer the types of shows they have. They go through the same small/medium venus as most metal tours, have just as dedicated of fans (many of whom wear death metal, deathcore, and slam merch), and have just as intense (or more intense) mosh pits.

Drake is the type of artist that you see once in a lifetime, kinda like Kanye, Beyonce, One Direction/individual members, etc the HUGE shows where ticket prices go through the roof. If you don't love them, they aren't worth the ticket price. But if you do, it's an experience you'll remember.

6. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

i'd love to see a big rap artist like Drake or Migos, unfortunately tickets are usually way more expensive than i wanna spend for a (maybe) 2 hour show.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

if you're not into the music then don't go. if you are into their music, then go. ezpzm8.

nyxzz and BenjaminW like this.
  8. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I've only ever seen two real rap groups live, when Ice Cube went on the Family Values tour and Cypress Hill when they released Temples of Boom. For the most part they were good shows. Typically the vocals are way too high live, so it sounds like dudes talking over a recording, but from what I remember it wasn't that bad.

I say go if you like the dudes music.

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Why not? Not a fan of either, but I imagine with their budgets, it’d be a hell of a stage production.

Masoo2 and BenjaminW like this.
  10. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

You should go it'll probably be fun and mad hotties too.

teqnick and BenjaminW like this.
  11. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

If you're looking to waste an evening there are probably cheaper ways to do it.

KailM, Razerjack, Albake21 and 2 others like this.
  12. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Well. I’ve always found it to be just mediocre and overrated. Same drum machine beat, same everything, really. Usually when I say that, I sound like a massive hypocrite since someone could say “Doesn’t the music you listen to all sound the same?” to me. But yeah, I’m thinking of going because I wanna expand my musical taste. I don’t see it as being one of those shows where I walk out within 10 minutes of the show starting.

13. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I get that. Obviously there's shit out there that definitely breaks that mold, if you want a playlist or something just let me know. But yeah dude, go for it!

BenjaminW likes this.
  14. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I love rap but I don't like Drake or Migos so I'd sit out just so I could save myself from the boredom. The smaller venue shows and the artists that play them that Masoo2 was talking about are much more fun and inline with a metal show/band energy wise.

15. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Hip hop is great. Not a huge Drake fan but he's still pretty good.

16. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

If this is your complaint with rap music, I don't see a Drake/Migos show changing your mind. I see it being something that only further cements your opinion and allows you to feel justified in writing off all hip hop.

Check out some more experimental stuff. Clipping is one of my favorite hip hop groups who do a lot of interesting experimentation with sampling and noise. The beat in Story 2 counts up through time signatures, so every couple of bars it adds one beat. Tyler the Creator is less out there experimental and more mainstream, but I think he definitely has more interesting production rather than using the same old drum machines. Death Grips is pure insanity.

I'm hardly the most knowledgeable about hip hop, so other may have better suggestions. I just wanted to point a couple artists who will challenge the opinion of hip hop that top 40 can give you.

StevenC and BenjaminW like this.
  17. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I'll definitely consider checking that stuff out!

18. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I’m paying to see Post Malone next month. Granted, this isn’t an off the cuff thing because I genuinely haven’t listened to anything but Beerbongs & Bentleys since the day it dropped. But if you want to go, go for it. Sticking to some arbitrary vein of music isn’t necessary, nor is trying to validate yourself to an online forum. I like Posty, and I also like bands like Devourment, Fallujah, Nile, and Morbid Angel.

In short, do you.

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

drake blows. wait for a good hip hop artist to see

I actually have no idea who migos is. and I don't think I care to find out . I think I have seen his film clips playing at the gym while I have headphones in

I've been to a few hip hop shows over the years startling in the early to mid 90's up to a few years ago and smaller venues are def way better

let see . ones I can remember right now

ice cube and cypress hill- was fucking amazing
    blackalicious- was ok. big venue .sound was kinda fucked . his vocal is hard to make out at best of times. lateef was also part of the show and he was great
    ice T - was amazing,he's a great performer . played it perfectly
    pharcyde - after fat lip left unfortunately when that 2nd album came out but with live band in small venue . they were really good
    Sage Francis - awesome
    jay z . supporting u2 in a stadium. got free tickets. thought it sucked

I'm sure there's 3 or 4 more that I cant think of right now . hip hop shows can be great .

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

run the jewels 2. which is their 2nd album

its a great example of diverse modern hip hop sounds

if you don't like it its def not for you.