Humidity Control

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Narrillnezzurh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Narrillnezzurh

Narrillnezzurh Sir Clipsalot

I just got my Carvin DC400, and it's awesome, but unlike my other guitars it has an ebony fingerboard rather than rosewood, and I'm wary of the effects the climate might have on the ebony.

How do you you guys deal with humidity changes throughout the year? I usually keep the DC400 in its case when I'm not using it, and I've heard that silica packs work well as a desiccant, but what would I use during the dry months of the year?

2. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

Honestly, as long as you aren't throwing in snow then the next day setting it out in the sun for hours, I think you will be fine.

Just take normal care of your stuff and it should be fine man.

3. Narrillnezzurh

Narrillnezzurh Sir Clipsalot

I'm more worried about seasonal changes, which are rather severe in my area. Doesn't "normal care" for a guitar usually include some form of humidity regulation anyways?

4. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

What type of guitar are you talking about? Semi hollow, Hollowbody, acoustic, electric?

Also, I live in kentucky and it has some pretty drastic changes as well. Like I just make sure the temperature and humidity where I live is comfortable and there is no direct sunlight on my babies or they are over/near an air vent. Also depends on the type of gutar like I said. Like if it is an acoustic or some type of hollowbody, I would more than likely keep it in the case and keep the case in a nice dry place.

You could always use things in the case or a humidifier or etc that most people use. My buddy even just kept a damp cloth inside one of his case in a little section he had in it.