hughes & kettner tubemeister 36

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ZERO1, Sep 10, 2017.

1. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Hey guys. I am looking for a smallish amp head with 1x12 to take to college with me. I purchased the panama shaman extra, and it is getting returned. The high gain channel, is not to my liking. So I was looking at the tubemeister. I hear the clean channel is pretty good, but how is the lead channel for metal? Would I need an Od in the front to get metal type tones? I guess I am use to not using od pedals because ever since I got my 5150 III I don't use any. I like the gain the amp produces normally. Anyways if anyone has any experience with this amp let me know. Or if you have a better suggestion feel free to comment as well thanks.

2. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro Contributor

I'm not sure how much the 36 watt version varies, but the 18 watt didn't sound good on high gain imo. It didn't have a lot of low end but more importantly the gain structure was fizzy and didn't sound great. I think there are better options than that for small amps in that price range. I have the Laney IRT studio right now and it does it's job pretty well for silent recording and sounds great through a cab at 15 watts too. The EVH LBX 1 has good reviews but doesn't have a proper clean channel.

3. Bish0p34

Bish0p34 SS.org Regular

What kind of metal exactly. I used to have a TM36 (got stolen from me), and I had no problem getting Metallica/Iced Earth type gain tones out with my EMG loaded guitars.
    I found the amp has plenty of bass, and the gain wasn't fizzy at all. I also replaced the tubes from the crappy stock ones. You can find a used Grandmeister for just a little more, and it does a better metal sound.

As long as the H&K sound is your thing...some people don't care for it.

4. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

The metallica tone is close to what I want, maybe a little bit more gain to that, but not much.

5. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

You can probably search youtube for clips to get an idea of how it sounds and whether or not the gain style is to your liking. An OD can work wonders on many amps (including/especially my recto).

6. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

Yeah I tried. Many videos were either them not playing metal or just soloing for minutes which doesn't give me an idea of how much gain for riffing there is. But thanks for the suggestion. Im looking at the tubemeister 40 now as well, but don't know if it warrants the 200 dollar difference...

7. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Stay well away from any of the tube/grandmeister amps. I had a GM36 and it was the fizziest amp I have ever had, even with different pre and power amp tubes, its just the gain structure of H&K amps. I should have watched more reviews before buying mine, live and learn.

I'd recommend the Boss Katana, its replaced all my tube amps and it does everything really well, and no fizz.

8. js75

js75 SS.org Regular

Dunno if you would consider solid state.iI have a peavey xxl and it sounds really good.Versatile ,does metal and then some.Cheap if you can find one

9. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I own a TM18 and I don't know what's that fizz some talk about. there's a good chance it's selective in the speakers it needs, but I certainly don't have fizz issues with it paired with a MF280 cab.

That said the Katana si the best cheap amp you can get these days, it's even better than the Roland Cubes I favored before. that's what I'd get if I wanted to move to a dorm or small place with noise requirements. The TM still are tube amps and get loud pretty easily.

10. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

I figured I would use it as well when I finish school. So an back home where noise won't be an issue. Plus I like that the tubemeister has a power soak option. So that should be helpful as well. The nearest guitar center only carries the 20 version. Ill try that one. See how I like it.

11. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

I tried different cabs but still had this annoying high end fizz, if you dialled the presence to zero it was much better but it killed the attack of the amp. I'm talking about the higher gain channels btw, there was basically no fizz on the crunch channel. I think its just the amp, all other H&K stuff I have played since or heard since has that same vibe, to my ears they sound like a SS preamp pushed through a tube power section.

12:00 basically sums up the higher gain tones.

12. ZERO1

ZERO1 SS.org Regular

I hear there is a solid state component to the tubemeister models. Idk about the grandmeisters though. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

13. Corusal

Corusal SS.org Regular

Honestly I think that clip just sounds like it's missing mids, and you can see that Henning dialed back the mids a bit, so at least for me that video is not a good representation of a high-gain sound.
    I like Henning but from what I've seen/heard he's not really a modern metal guy :D

Listen to the soloed guitar parts of this video (starts at ca. 1min), sounds much better IMO:

Now I haven't played this amp yet and I heard EL34s usually aren't that great for seven strings, but I still have to check that amp out just to satisfy my curiosity. :p