how would you rate the ibanez UV777BK ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Papa_Shank, May 12, 2004.

1. Papa_Shank

Papa_Shank SS.org Regular

the name says it all really

2. Hyper-Rob

Hyper-Rob SS.org Regular

I'd have to say I'm not a fan. I think they sound like ass. They play great though. Just not chunky enough for me.. I like my Schecter 7's. can't wait to try that black jack 26.5" scale monster.

3. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

I love the Schecter 7 as well.

I liked the only two 777's I've played though, and if I had the cash/opportunity, I'd definitely pick one up. I love the UV trem vs. the lower end one on my 7620.

4. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

I really never liked the sound of the Universe 7 string Ibanez guitars. I worked at the Ibanez factory back in 96 and seen a few come through they just never sounded like wood more like plastic...does korea have trees???..I have a Two BC Rich beasts 7 strings that were set up for me in (Low A*D*G*C*F*A*D high) tuning from the factory by Bernie rico Jr . they are 26 1/2 fret guitars.And still to this day they are both three years old and one is the 88th ever made 7 string Handmade USA BC Rich. I just cannot play those bolt on neck guitars really do not see how you guys worship these Ibanez and schecters...If i was to tour all over again I might take em' to suck up the abuse but to record and build a working relationship with heheheh!!(thats gay) still give me my BC Rich and Carvins any day..and my RON LUCCA 7 string atchtop Jazz guitars with Kent armstrong pickups...

5. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I dont feel much of a difference. i prefer bolt on neck(I have a ESP w/ Neck thru), and Universes and high end RG's are made in japan,not Korea.

6. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I would have to say that the UV777BK is one of the best 7 strings on the market. The EBMM JPM7 and the Universe are about the same quality and are pretty much the only high end mass produced 7 strings on the market. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would be looking to buy.

7. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

Ive always liked the UV777BK, imo it's the best looking universe.

[​IMG]

8. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Agree, beautiful guitar. I haven't played one (though I'd love to) so I can't really comment on it's playability, but that thing is simply fuckin' sexy.

9. bobthemerciful

bobthemerciful SS.org Regular

My friend has had one for about a year now. I can honestly say (and I have played a few guitars ;) ) that it is one of the best guitars I have ever played IMO. If I had to rate it out of 10, it would get 9 (but only cos it's not mine ). I would definitely buy one, were I able to find the cash. Peace. :cool:

10. Metal Ken

amazing how these old topics keep ocming up.

If anyone knows anything about me now, they know my opinion on the universe

11. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I'd have to agree here. I like the UV quite a bit (I also love Carvin stuff) but the piezo option was what drew me into the Petrucci 7. Now that I have it, I can honestly say that I haven't played a better guitar (for me and my tastes) and the quality is kick ass.

I wish Ibanez hadn't pulled the seven strings w/ piezo. Maybe we'll get lucky and Head or Munkey will decide they need acoustic sound for something. :lol:

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not likely. ;)

RG-2027x's still turn up every once in a while- if you like the sound of mahogany, then you're not likely to find a better guitar anywhere. That neck was AMAZING on that thing.

-D

13. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I'd give my left eye to find a used one for a resonable price. The RG2027x is my holy Grail of 7's. Though I know I will own a Universe someday also..

14. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

what? they're the same thing :lol:

15. Metal Ken

I happen to favor the 1077xl. Thats the only 7 string i could think of thats better designed. If the Universe had a 27" scale, i'd swear up and down that it is the best guitar ever designed by mankind in every aspect. But i say that about the universe anyway lol

16. jakeskylyr

jakeskylyr SS.org Regular

Being the uber-proud owner of a UV777BK since 1999, I can honestly say that _mine_ is one of the best guitars I've ever played. Working at a music store, having visited many others, and having played a lot of guitars, I must say just about everything else leaves me uninspired, when I compare it to "My Baby". I will also admit that I have played a few UV777s that were not quite up to snuff. There are shining stars and lemons in every bunch, and I guess I came out lucky with mine. (Honestly, good maintenance and setup, will definitely take any guitar to the next level. Not always mind you, but it can totally breathe some life into an instrument that you would not expect it from. One aspect to consider of course. )

Also, the most important aspect is how the instrument connects to the player. For me, (again) _my_ Universe was like a limb I was missing. Granted I had been yearning to cross into 7 string territory for years before, and was desperately in need of it musically just before buying it, but I figured it would be another guitar in my collection. Not the guitar to make me stop playing all of my other ones. Once I got it, it felt so great, so natural, and did so much, that even still, my other guitars go practically untouched. I guess this role could have been as easily filled with a kickass 7620, which is what I was actually planning to buy, so I guess the fact that it's the Universe is not really what did it for me, but that it was a sweet-ass Ibanez 7 string that just happened to be a UV777, in the right place, the right time, and at the right price are the factors that sold me on it. The fact that it was a Universe definitely didn't hurt anything. Plus it is kinda cool having a guitar that emits a bit of flash, in just the right tasteful dose, just by opening the case ;^)

So maybe I'm biased, but I must say that my Universe kicks ass, and I couldn't imagine owning a different main guitar. My 2 cents... =^D

17. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

If I read right, over in the Temperary Forum at jemsite; there was a rumor that the 2027 might be released again....

18. Vince

Vince Contributor

Jake, so, you don't play the bright blue Ibanez RG anymore? :)

Did you ever get the chrome pickguard you wanted for that thing?

19. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I don't think you read that right. Somebody was merely saying it would be nice if Ibanez released a 7-string version of the RGT2020, then somebody else mistakenly identified that as a 2027.

20. Dylan7620

Dylan7620 that guy

RGT2027 :yum: