how to use samples live?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by pastanator, Jun 27, 2018.

1. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

my grind band uses alot of samples from movies and tv stuff(often 30/40 seconds long if it matters)in our recordings and is there a good way to do that live? our bass player bought an akai mpx8 sampler but it needs to have wav files loaded on every time it turns on and the files are too big and it takes too long to load them so he's sending it back and we're on the look for something else. i know theres the prospect of using a laptop and a daw but i feel as though that would make things too complicated. we're just looking for something our drummer or whoever can press and have the sample play

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Grab a Boss Dr. Sample and run it to FOH.

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Boss RC30?

Bummer that the akai didnt work out.

4. pastanator

so update: the akai has been figured out. our bass player wasn't privy that the samples needed to be 16 bit and was getting a bunch of errors. theoretically we just have to change banks at one point during whatever set, which should only take fifteen seconds or so

5. TheArsonistsDaughter

TheArsonistsDaughter SS.org Regular

Maybe too late, but this is how I do it for our band...

I use a Digitech Jamman Solo and I alternate samples with 2 sec blank presets. They're organized in our set order. When we start playing we start the intro sample, I then use the Digitech footswitch to advance to the next slot once the current sample plays, which is an empty slot, that blank slot loops until I advance to the next sample with the footswitch's "UP" button, rinse, repeat. You can jump around, but I just set them up in the order that we need them and then I just have to remember to hit the one button.

What's nice about the Jamman is that it won't advance to the next loop until the end of the current loop. This way I'm able to trigger the samples from my pedalboard. I have the Jamman running into a DI and both of those are velcroed to a little 5" x 8" board that sits on top of my rack, and nests inside of the rear lid of the rack. I run the power supply out of the back of my rack. It's very simple, and I've never had an issue with a soundguy giving us the stink eye for having samples. Providing an easy DI helps.

It's funny this came up as I just reconfigured the Digitech for our new set yesterday...

To clarify, I alternate the samples like this:

Loop 1 Intro Sample

Loop 2 blank loop

Loop 3 Sample 2

Loop 4 blank loop

Loop 5 Sample 3

etc....

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

when we did it our drummer had a Roland drum pad thing that we loaded them into

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I use to use a jamman stereo. Was perfect .but due to not using as many samples i switched to the smaller jamman solo xt

8. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

I use a program called QLab. There is a free version and a paid version. For what you want to do the free version is enough. I use it live with my band, but, we play to a click. I am able to trigger the click track and all samples/backing tracks by clicking play at the beginning of the set and letting it all play. The click keeps us and the samples in line. If you dont like to/dont want to use a click, then this option is probably not the best for you. It is SUPER easy though.

9. pastanator

thanks all for your responses but like i said earlier we figured out the akai and gave it a proper test at this house show/birthday party for some friends, where it worked perfectly. and ya the whole laptop thing seems like a cool idea in theory but what we're doing is so simple that it seems like way overkill. plus we dont really need a click lol as long as its in the ballpark tempo wise its probably fine