How to start a website...?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by The Dark Wolf, Oct 5, 2005.

1. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Ok, those in the know. My band will need a website in the near future. What's the best way to start a website? Hosting, design, etc. Especillay Vince and/or Chris, since you guys have 2 very cool websites. How does a bruva get started?

2. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

3. The Dark Wolf

Thanks Leon (although I need way more info than this).

BECAUSE... #3. Uh... ok? Design a cool website. With what? How? (Hence, why I'm asking ;) )

4. Leon

well, i guess that takes time to develop :)

i started using Microsoft's Frontpage2000 a number of years ago, and sorta progressed with designing pages and things. it's an easy program to start out on, as it very much looks like MSWord or whatever. there's also a program called Dreamweaver that works too, i hear.

or, you could have someone else design it for you :)

5. The Dark Wolf

Anyone else?

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Get a Demo version of Dream Weaver. Killer program. Makes webpages in a wordprocessor format. If you're not the most familiar with webpages, this makes it a bit easier.

7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Definitely Dreamweaver. I've been using it for years now, and it's quite powerful, while at the same time being pretty straightforward to use.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm in the same boat here too, needing a website... I sorta figure if I'm going to do a proper CD, something a little more than a myspace page would be a good thing to have, and anyway a reliable source of hosting for myself would rock. Leon, how much storage space and monthly bandwidth does that $7 buy you? That's fairly reasonable...

-D

9. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

The hell with dreamweaver. Learn some HTML, it's a piece of cake and once you get into it, you'll find that making edits with something you coded yourself is a lot easier than editing pages made with Dreamweaver/Frontpage, etc.

As far as hosting, I use http://www.1and1.com for all the sites I run/host (nine, currently) and they've been excellent all across the board.

10. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I use 1and1.com as well. I sorta agree with you on the dreamweaver thing. All too often it's a crutch for not really learning your way around code.

But when coupled with html knowledge, and using the split view in DW, it really speeds things up and makes things more efficient, IMO.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ok, you guys who know what you're doing... 1,000MB is probably more than enough for a website, but for monthly transfer limits, for a "artist" website with some pictures, mp3 clips, and a full song download or two, is 25GB probably enough to cover me, or is the extra $5 worth it for 50 and another gig, give or take, of storage?

12. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Well, back when i did this stuff, i did that shit in notepad , like a real man. But then i got lazy. so out came dreamweaver lol

13. Leon

i started out using Frontpage solely. these days, i use Frontpage for some stuff, but mostly edit the HTML by hand to get what i want. i could probably do it all by hand as well if i really tried, but that would take up precious guitar playing / SS.org posting time :metal: :lol:

14. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I prefer to hand-code, but i'm old-skool. ;)

HTML knowledge is good to have, but the software applications are just production tools. People tend to forget that you also need to know how to design the site. Dreamweaver is a layout tool, Photoshop is an image editing tool, etc... the tools don't make you a designer.

Designing a Web site isn't about knowing how to use the tools or how to code stuff, or even how to make things look pretty. You need to know some basic principles of interaction design and understanding of the principles of graphic design as well.

These principles will help you to communicate more clearly in a visual medium, produce something that's more pleasing to the eye, and in the case of interaction design, help you to design information architecture and navigation that people can actually use and find their way around in.

Drew likes this.
  15. Leon

good call, Darren!

i actually design my webpages with pencil and paper before i hit my computer. though, that doesn't presuppose that they will be any good :p

Drew likes this.
  16. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

25GB is just fine, as is 1GB of space. Way more then enough.

http://www.club3g.com does 18 million hits a month and I only do 75GB/mo over there. ;)

Drew likes this.
  17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's actually really good advice, Leon, and a really good point, Darren. :yesway: Reputation points to you both.

18. The Dark Wolf

So say, I go to 1and1.com or some such, after designing a nifty website in Dreamweaver or FrontPage (Chris, c'mon. Like I'm gonna try to learn HTML from scratch right now. We don't need a dick swingin' contest. A wimpy, girly software app is just fine for me :lol: )... what do I do when I get there? There's all kinds of options. What do I need? And wat's this it says about Linux? I don't use Linux... is that an issue?

Chris likes this.
  19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

There's also a MS package, for windows. I'll be looking into that tonight and probably picking one up - expect to see drewpeterson.net in the near future (as some out of work software engineer already has .com :rant: )

20. The Dark Wolf

Drew, you're awesome. So, I guess that would be better to go with, as a Microsoft user?