How to properly paint/finish my RG7321...

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by ICSvortex, Oct 9, 2018.

1. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Hi guys!

So i just got my RG7321 and i want to re-finish it in yellow (like the one that andy marsh from thy art is murder has).
    Now since i recelntly accuired a girlfriend that builds furniture for a living i thought it would be great to ask her for help. But since she never painted or refinished any instrument and she knows how holy my guitars are to me she doesnt want to f*** it up basically.

Now to the question:
    In furniture you apparently first apply a basecoat/primer and then the actual color and then the clearcoat (sometimes theres no clearcoat). But from what i've read and seen from luthiers or self-builders is that noone uses primer/basecoat. So what i want to know is if the primer/basecoat is even needed and also:
    Do i buy a high-gloss yellow laquer or do i just take a normal yellow laquer and the glossy-clearcoat will make the whole guitar shine after we polished it?

Since there are a lot of insanely talented luthiers/builder on here i thought i might aswell ask here...

Thanks a lot!

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I tried this recently with my fender project and royaly screwed it up. Had runs and drips everywhere. (I know i know)

So i decided to sand everything back to bare wood and instead use Crimson Guitars vibrant stains.

Its honestly so so much easier. Water based so can easily blend them all for unique colour configs. Then wipe a few coats of their finishing oil and job done.

They do a yellow. I know it isnt exactly what you were wanting but if paint is too much of a ballache for what could go wrong, then why not look into stains?.

Imo to get a proper paint finish, you really need a proper workshop with proper ventilation. Without that, i think stains and possible veneers are the way to do refinishes instead. Its a compromise.

3. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Well, staining might be a good option but since the rg7321 are notorious for having boring basswood bodies i dont think thats an option.
    And even if it was a beautifull woodgrain underneath i just want it yellow.
    And for the workshop concerns: I have all the tools, ventilation and space in my workshop at home so thats no problem at all.
    The only thing i'm lacking at the moment is the knowledge...

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Could look into fitting a veneer to the top. But in general, seeing as you have all the required space and tools etc, go with the paint refinish.

I screwed mine up because i DONT have any workshop space at my house. I dont even have a garage or anything.

Basically just tried to do it in my Garden and relying on weather.
    It was a disaster. So Im now going to just rely on Stains.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

ICSvortex likes this.
  6. ICSvortex

ICSvortex 0-0-0-1

Oh thats some nice information, thanks!

But i know she could do it just fine but it irritated me a bit that guitar-people dont do the primer and there is no word of primer in this article either. I thought maybe it would stop the guitar from resonating aswell or something... And still the question remains if i should use glossy laquer or non-glossy laquer for the color-coat...

7. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

You can use gloss or satin or matte for the topcoat. Just depends what you want it to look and feel like.

You will be fine if you use primer. Won't affect the sound. The finish only really affects the sound on acoustics.

However, you may not need to. If you are refinishing a guitar that already has a finish on it, you can just sand the existing coat a bit and use it as a primer. It'll be a great base too since it is already flat. Just test it first with the lacquer to make sure it doesn't have a bad chemical reaction.