How to make the bridge REMAIN parallel

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vladm1994, Sep 10, 2011.

1. vladm1994

vladm1994 Guitar Newbie

Ok, so here's the problem I have: I tried using the screws in the back of the guitar to get the bridge parallel but once I tune the guitar the bridge goes back to it's original position. A guy helped me yesterday night telling me to put a piece of wood somewhere so the bridge won't start moving again. Please tell me where exactly should I put that piece of wood and how think it must be. Thanks in advance!

giving rep :D

2. vladm1994

vladm1994 Guitar Newbie

oh yea, it's a licensed floyd rose btw if it helps

3. MTech

MTech Banned

4. vladm1994

vladm1994 Guitar Newbie

thanks man :D I usually use google

5. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx

extra springs help in you are putting a high string tension load.

6. vladm1994

vladm1994 Guitar Newbie

[​IMG] This is how I did it guys and it worked eventually. I hope I won't break my guitar in any way!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. TelosHedge

TelosHedge Enjoys Chicken.

blocking the trem off will stabilize the bridge, but keep in mind you won't be able to use it.... this also doesn't 'fix' anything - it just prevents the bridge from moving to where it wants to go.

if you are not interested in using your trem, then using wood is fine. if you want your guitar to actually still have trem functionality you'll need to keep adjusting your bridge until you get it right. as previously stated, adding springs can help depending on how much of an angle you're off at - in my experience 9 gauges at standard tuning should straighten the bridge out with 3 springs - i use 10s on my guitars so i immediately go to 4 springs and i usually have no issues. 7 strings get 4 springs as well.

if you're in tune but the bridge's butt is sky high, detune the guitar slightly and start to tighten up those angle screws - keep rechecking tuning to make sure you dont pull the strings too sharp so you don't snap any strings. eventually you're either going to run out of adjustment screw or the bridge will straighten out at standard tuning. if you run out of screw, you need another spring back there.

if you want the best of both worlds with a blocked/floating trem situation, get your angle set right and then get yourself a tremol-no.

if you can, give us some pics. if you have any more questions, pm me or post back!