How to have delay only on clean channel

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by KD0991, Sep 27, 2018.

1. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

I have an evh 5150iii 50w. Is there any way using a pedal to have it so when I hit my clean channel switch my delay comes on, and if I hit my dirt channel it goes off (and possibly turn on my od as well).

When I'm playing a song with clean I like delay and reverb, but when I get to the dirt part I want my channel 2 with my od. I cant do this at the moment seamlessly. I dont have enough feet haha.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Look into a loop pedal with amp switching capabilities.

3. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

What would my routing look like to take advantage of one of those pedals?

4. MaxOfMetal

Depends on how much you're looking to spend really, in addition to what unit you get, there are several out there.

You're basically looking for custom rig control, which has gotten much cheaper in the last five or ten years, but can still be pricey if you're looking for an all-in-one limited setup unit.

Do some research on what kind of switch you need (it'll be amp dependent) and how many loops you actually need.

5. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

Okay so basically I have a 3 channel amp.

I want to be able to when i engage channel 1 (clean) have my delay and reverb on.

When i engage channel 2 (dirt) have my od come on, and my delay and reverb go off.

I just dont think there is an option for hitting one footswitch to make that happen. I think it would still be 2 at minimum.

6. MaxOfMetal

I understand what you're trying to do, I just don't feel like researching the type of switching your amp uses and comparing to dozens of products without knowing your budget. :lol:

There are programmable switching loops that will do what you want, you might just need to go rack and controller over a single, more basic pedal.

Look into the Boss ES-8.

7. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

My amp is midi controllable if that helps. Budget. Idk. The cheaper the better. $200 or less would be nice. Can I use a midi with my existing pedals as a switcher?

8. MaxOfMetal

You're probably not going to find an all-in-one solution for <$200.

What do you mean by "use a midi"?

9. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

So the midi "switcher" pedals I'm seeing have like 10 programmable "banks". Can those only work with a processor like a helix? Or could my individual pedals work with one of the midi switchers?

10. MaxOfMetal

Can you post a link to what you're looking at?

What you need is a loop/switcher, not just a controller.

11. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

12. MaxOfMetal

13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

As someone who makes that switch all the time, put the practice in.

14. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Joyo pxl live

Or

Boss ms3

15. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

So you're able to at the same time click on a reverb pedal, delay pedal, and hit your channel 1 button?

Then at the same time click off your reverb, click off your delay, click over to channel 2, and click on your od?

16. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

The joyo pxl live looks like it could do what I want.

In the fx loop I would have my HOF reverb, Flashback Delay, and Boss NS2.

In front of the amp would be my od808, big muff, and ns2 again.

My polytune would go in the tuner input.

Not sure where my ditto looper would go.

Then the joyo connected via midi to the 5153

Doing it like that could I program a patch to activate channel 1 with delay and reverb?

Then a separate patch for channel 2, od808, and ns2 (in loop and in front x pattern style like I have it now)?

17. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I hit an OD instead of a channel 2 so 3 pedals instead of 4 but yes. That's exactly what I do. Even though my FX8 would allow me to go from reverb/delay/dirt/pitch->nothing, I use it like a traditional board.

You probably don't need to hit the channel + 808 immediately - hit the channel first and then hit the 808 asap and you'll be fine.

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

nope, MIDI would only control your amp, as its the only thing with a MIDI function. Unless your pedals have MIDI (which Im gessing no) then you cant do anything.

IF (lets pretend here), your amp had 3 different FX loops, then each could (ideally, depending on the amp construction) be able to be controled by MIDI, but you still are left with the OD as that pedal goes in front of the amp and not in the FX loop.

Only reason why that amp got MIDI is so you can plug it into your settup. Lets say a band like Periphery where all the amp switch and FX are controled by a Protools session. So they ahve a master Click track with a MIDI track with all the comands they need sot eh software change their settings in their gear at the right moment, so they never step on a pedal

For what you are after, nope, it wont work.

some amps might have the ability to turn on/off the FX loop and/or the reverb via MIDI. For you amp the only thing you can do via MIDI is to change between the 3 chanels. So its a way to have your foot switch integrated into a pedalboard of some kind

only solution for you would be to find a switching board that has individual FX loops for each FXpedal you have that uses MIDI so you can program the board to turn on/off the loops (your pedal signals) and switch your amp channels. But usually those switching board like the BOSS MS3, or even ones like HelixFX or AxeFX8 they come with a external amp input, so you plug a stereo jack (TRS) into it and into your amp footswitch out, so the board can control the amp channels jsut like your footswitch does

or, if you have a keyboard player, you can plug your amp via MIDI into his keyboard so he can change your amp channels for you lol :p

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  19. KD0991

KD0991 SS.org Regular

Maybe I'm missing something, but the guy in this video has the same amp as me just with the el34 and appears to be doing exactly what I'm looking for using a boss es5. But from demos of the pxl live, looks like that can do it too but with 8 slots at a much lower cost.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  20. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Yes, that would work :agreed:
    I listed the wrong Boss model but you found it!
    The Joyo would do it much cheaper. The only drawback is it is tough to learn to program it...there's a youtube guy who walks you through it though. Some people report "pop" sounds during a switch; mine didn't do that but make sure you buy from a place that has a solid return policy.