How to get this type of bass tone?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by xeonblade, Dec 5, 2011.

1. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

I'm just loving the heaviness of this bass, it's just crushing. Any tips for that?

P.S. Listen to to that lows on kick and bass on this stuff.

I can feel kick and bass subs kicking my eardrums with my AKG K99. Really deep bass and kick.

2. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Even 1 lame tip would be fine >.>

3. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

How are you currently EQing your bass? I've always been told it's a good idea to boost high and low frequencies on bass and cut mids to have it sit around the guitar and kind of reinforce what the drums are doing. I'm no expert, though. This is just a tip that was given to me. And it seems no one else has any so I figured I'd offer what I could. :yesway:

4. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Ok, it sound bass on this doesn't have highs boosted since u can't hear the strings slapping on fretboard. And subs seem to be boosted, but I could use an ear of expert here :D
    I don't have any bass recorded yet, since I haven't officially started recording anything. I'm just learning how to do it and record quick guitar tests. (I don't own a bass at the moment)

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

For what it's worth, I turn up the highs on my bass and I don't a whole lot of clickiness from the strings hitting the board. I think a little of that has to do with how low you set your action and how much your strings actually do slap against the board.

Also, since the snare and cymbals also occupy that sonic space, they may drown out any subtle clicking that might be going on. Then again, I'm not 100% sure on these things.

6. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Well, atleast u try to help, unlike others >.>
    Tnx

7. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

8. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

you use a podx3? I can only offer tips if you use pod hardware :( because I've not used anything else really, but what I do for my bass eqing is boost lows obviously and a bit of highs. You can also create a second track and copy paste the exact basslines and add a distortion or something and boost the highs higher to get that slap feel !

edit: if you use pods, my bass amp is the Classic rock with the 8x10 cab (classic rock is based off ampeg amps)

9. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

No, I use software processing :) But tnx!

10. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

This man is on the right track, I recently retracked an entire piece with higher action just to get less cstring noise on the DI.

That bass tone has moderate punch, a lot more lows than I would like, is not terribly mid heavy (which is what I like, due to Geddy influence), I would say it might have some 'upper mid' dialed in. Basses upper mid not being guitars however.

I like a boost in my bass around 200, if I can sneak it past the guitar.

As far as whining when no one takes the time to help you, or can't offer valuable input, it makes a stronger case to not reply at all. Man up and be patient.

11. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input <3 :hbang: It's really discouraging to see my post with 100 views and 0 replies standing on 2nd page.

12. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

You might need to blend a clean and dirty bass tone.

Dirty tone having minimal to no lows, add distortion of your choice.
    Clean signal is very compressed and has lots of lows.

13. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Do you mean lows like 30-60Hz or more like 60-120Hz?

14. Slampop

Slampop Artist: Idoler

doesnt sound like there's any high passes on the bass (anything cutting the lower frequencies too much)...sub tone is there...clarity of the bass itself has to do w/ how it was played and what bass was used (pick ups and eq blends etc.) ...i'm sure there is a low filter cutting a lot of the highs to be honest! to me it sounds like a blanketed high end w/ crispy pick ups to make it "seem" like the highs are boosted!!! what bass r u trying to use to achieve "this" tone btw?

15. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

None for now. I'll be making a 5 stringed one with fanned fingerboard (for my recordings). And I kinda like that kind of tone. I'm a guitarist so I don't know which bass woods/pickups would produce that kind of tone.
    For now I use Trilian bass vst.

16. SargeantVomit

SargeantVomit CIRRHOSIS THRASH

Sounds like a standard Eden sound to me, fairly flat across the board with bit of a low mid boost, slight tube preamp growl. Sitting well in the pocket that's why it's filling out so nice with the kick. Played with fingers.

Scooping the mids is a terrible idea pretty much 99.9999% of the time. :nono:

17. Slampop

Slampop Artist: Idoler

:agreed:

18. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

It's a really good bass sound in that first clip, but the eq in the rest of the mix is key.

The guitars have some lows filtered out and have a nice midrange presence that lifts the mix and allows the bass to be heard.

I think the bass must have some filtering on it too because it doesn't sound subby at all..it just sounds like a good quality bass with a good scale length through a good signal chain and most importantly, tightly played.

A good way to tighten bass in a metal/rock mix is to filter off everything below 50 hz and work from there. Some cuts at around 160 hz can also eliminate boom. Ironically, the midrange of the bass is critical..if you scoop that out then you start to lose note definition.

The other key thing with bass is to decide if the kick drum or bass will occupy the lower frequency war that is inevitable with all mixes. For example a lot of r&b and hip hop has subby basses with fat, boxier kick drums (check out The Roots or D'Angelo), whereas a lot of metal mixes have clicky kick drums and severely filtered bass to allow the bottom end of the guitars to dominate (eg classic Pantera and Metallica mixes)

Ultimately, get it to sound good at the source. :lol:

19. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

100hz and lower for the dirty, keep this in on the clean.

20. CynicEidolon

CynicEidolon And still he waits..

I know it's not a competition but. this guy is the only guy that really seems to know what he's talking about.

There is a LOT of harmonic distortion going on with that bass too. It takes a good signal chain (mentioned above) a quality bass set up REALLY well done with a tight performance. "Get it right at the mic!" (Or DI if it fits.)