How to get this sound?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mjodmir, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mjodmir

Mjodmir SS.org Regular

I've been playing for like, 10 years, but I haven't touched an actual tube amp (or effects pedals). I still own my first amp, the dreaded Line 6 Spyder, and that's the only experience I have with amps. I am going to start playing live and I will need to get a new amp/cab. I finally have money to upgrade and I'm looking at a budget around $800.

That said, there is a certain tone that I really like but I don't know how to get it. I'd describe it as a loose or washy tone, perhaps loose strings, but it does not sound like it's simply saturated with distortion/reverb.

Gear recommendations for this type of sound? Also, good online sources for learning about amp/cab/tone stuff? Thank you
    Some examples:
    (skip to 35:38)

(skip to 1:48)

2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've seen Wode using an Orange amp (not sure what model sorry), and i think a Marshall JVM. Of course that could have been different in the studio, but it sounds like really cranked British voiced tube amps.
    There can always be a bit of studio magic as well remember, but that'll get you in the ballpark

exo likes this.
  3. Mjodmir

Mjodmir SS.org Regular

I appreciate it. I'll look into that

4. exo

exo SS.org Regular

might also have multiple tracks per part with a super slight amount of reverb, like JUST enough to make minute differences in the takes stand out and make the part itself feel "loose", tonally.

Mjodmir likes this.
  5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I think many high-gain tube amps could get you there. I wasn't sure exactly what tone you were referring to, as what I heard on the Wode clip was different than the other one. Were you talking about that sort of "lead" type part that was kind of dissonant in the Wode song? I think some of this is studio EQ, layering, reverb, and that sort of stuff as well.

I get what I think is a killer black metal tone out of a 6505. But it's also how you play and how you record it. A lot of people can only make a 6505 do metalcore because that's all they know how to play. Here's a cover I did of a Blut Aus Nord song where I used my 6505 for everything except the cleans: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/on-the-way-to-vigrid

Mjodmir likes this.