How to get more trem pull up on an Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Max Dread, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Max Dread

Max Dread SS.org Regular

Hi all

I have a couple of guitars with lo-pro edge trems (RG1077xl, RG2027). I love them, but my one minor gripe is that I can't get much trem pull up before the bridge runs out of room and hits the bottom of the cavity.

Is this a common and generally well known/discussed problem with lo-pros? I tried googling but couldn't find much. Maybe I was using the wrong terms... Or is it something that is fixable without having to do any major surgery on the guitar?

Do other people feel the same about it? Has anyone found a good work around?

Curious to hear any thoughts. Many thanks for reading

Max

2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Shimming the neck will let you raise the bridge without compromising the action.

tedtan and odibrom like this.
  3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The only ways to change this are either setting the trem higher (which will increase string action) or get out your router to enlarge the cavities...

4. odibrom

odibrom .

What @Petar Bogdanov said is on the spot.

How much do you want to go? You're risking string life if you pull too much

5. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

This is a setup adjustment. Raise the bridge then shim neck angle to get the action back where you want it.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This.

7. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Just bear in mind that the more pullup range you set up the guitar for the higher your action will need to be, as pulling up also drags the strings lower to the fretboard. They'll choke out if you have dat sikk 0.000001mm action and do a pullup.

odibrom likes this.
  8. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

+1. As an extreme example, the flat fingerboard of my Vigier Shawn Lane means that you can lower the strings until they’re sitting on the frets, but pulling up to any extent will choke them. On any front-pivoting shred guitar, you can only afford to set your action as low as the pull-up on your trem allows before the strings choke. This is why Vai and Satriani have their action higher than you may expect.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This. Both of those guitars are late 90s, right? I can't speak in as much depth to newer Ibanez guitars, but I always thought Ibanez guitars from that era benefitted from a little more neck angle than they shipped with. A small shim (at the back of the pocket) to increase neck angle a hair should do the trick.

10. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

if not enough clearance in the tremolo route, 2 things, shim the neck at an angle to then increase trem high. if neck already has a shim, add more shim or deepen the trem route(more risky). once done, check the string action.
    low action chokes the strings alot more. id say around 2mm bass side 12th fret and 1.5mm treble side 12th fret string action is a good baseline for the string action to produce a good trem pull up. fine tune along the way.

11. odibrom

odibrom .

All of the above...

To further improve the pulls without the choke thing and keep a low action, get the higher frets (12th forward) lower when leveling/crowning them, put some time here. I've got about 1.25mm string action at bass strings on my RG2027s and no noticeable choke on any string with the pulls, specially on the high and middle strings...

12. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

i forgot to mention this as well. its called a fret fall away. tons of tutorial on yt