How to get a tone. . . .

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ibanezRG1527, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

now im not normally one to copy peoples tone but this is so heavy and angry and brutal and sludgy that i have to play with it!

skip to 1:53 for the best example of what im talking about

i know its Slipknot and most of you here fucking hate it! so i used the instrumental version for you guys haha

oh. and for those who hate slipknot because theyre all soft, try the iowa album. its about as heavy as any cannibal corpse album or any other serious death metal band you can think of.

2. KAMI

KAMI Mom's Spaghetti

get an orange rockerverb 100 :yesway:

but I think I'm going to stick to my engl savage :djent:

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I second orange, though believe that album was a Dual Rectifier? Mid 3CH era Dual rectos sound like that if you over crank the gain and give it some bass.

4. dallasxr6

dallasxr6 SS.org Regular

from memory in the gear walk thru I saw on youtube, jim root plays his sig tele With emgs into a THUNDERVERB.

When I had my rockerverb 100 (mk1) I could get pretty close With an emg loaded guitar

5. KAMI

KAMI Mom's Spaghetti

6. dallasxr6

dallasxr6 SS.org Regular

oops my bad

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You're pretty much never going to get the exact tone you hear on an album. Things like the mics, mic preamps, interfaces, consoles, post processing, etc. have all influenced that tone to some degree.

Though, you can get pretty close. They've stuck pretty close to Orange and Rivera for most of the last decade. I remember reading interviews with them that they don't stick just with their usual gear in the studio and will "mess around" with different guitars and amps. For instance, Jim recorded his parts of Iowa with a PRS CU24. I heard they brought in a Recto, Uberschall, and a few other amps for the last few albums.

In short, if you want something close get a high wattage Orange or Rivera.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You're pretty much never going to get the exact tone you hear on an album. Things like the mics, mic preamps, interfaces, consoles, post processing, etc. have all influenced that tone to some degree.

Though, you can get pretty close. They've stuck pretty close to Orange and Rivera for most of the last decade. I remember reading interviews with them that they don't stick just with their usual gear in the studio and will "mess around" with different guitars and amps. For instance, Jim recorded his parts of Iowa with a PRS CU24. I heard they brought in a Recto, Uberschall, and a few other amps for the last few albums.

In short, if you want something close get a high wattage Orange or Rivera.

9. pathos45

pathos45 SS.org Regular

iowa has a blend of the 3 channel dual rec, a custom modded uber that jim has had for years, a diezel vh4, a vht pitbull ul, a mesa mark iv and i belive a 5150. (with the newer stuff a 5150III is also in the studio with them for backing tracks and such) but yeah iowa was one of the albums that they really experimented with amps on. Now if you watch the live dvd disasterpeices they both are using dual recs and mick is also using a vht pitbull ul and jim rocks dual dual recs lol.

10. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

could it be done on either a TriRec or a 6534+? because im getting one of those heads once i have the money. probably the 6534+. now if some of that was done on a 5150 then im sure the 6534 can get as muddy and fucked up right? theyre not THAT different.

see, im not trying to get and keep this tone but its definitely something that i want to use for a song or 2. so im going to buy an amp that can definitely do this but can also be very tight for that more classic death metal sound

11. pathos45

pathos45 SS.org Regular

yes you can get close with the 6534+, the trirec im pretty sure is moddled after the the recto line so yeah it probally can too. But for the price of a new 6534+ you could def find a used dual rec and get pretty much that exact tone, and all of S/T was done with dual recs and the uber so def the dual rec will get you there but look into some kt77 tubes for it its a great blend of 6l6 and el34s.