How to EQ a tight djent?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jammers33, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jammers33

jammers33 SS.org Regular

yeah man thats cool

2. Harray 18

Harray 18 SS.org Regular

try and get that 5 string coz my bass is wank atm

3. jammers33

jammers33 SS.org Regular

ill get it tomorrow man

4. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

its good man but i still think u should roll back the gain some more, esp if ur gna record with it.

also make a big dip at 200hz, get rid of some mud

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I disagree. 200hz is where a lot of the fullness and punch of the guitar resides. It's below that where the stuff you want to dial out resides IMO. It depends with different amps, guitars, mics, etc... but in general my eq'ing to improve guitars tone and clarity is to do the following:

boost @ ~200-220 hz if guitars need fullness, boost @ 1.5khz (midrange growl/punch) slight boost @ 3khz (attack), low pass filter @ 12khz, high pass filter @ 80-120 khz. I rarely find I need to cut much since I mic up the amp the way I want anyways. If you want to improve clarity and cut out mud, just run the HPF at a higher rate until the boomyness is gone. A slight cut somewhere could be in order, but certainly not at the frequencies Matt is suggesting, at least not in my opinon. Try either way and see what sounds best to your ears :yesway:

All of the above examples are with Q's of either 1.4 or 1.0.

6. Mattayus

well it's just my experience, and it works for my tone. recording that is, live amp sound is something completely different. you don't have the opportunity to layer, build up, and thicken tone by numbers, so in that case i would never cut at 200 because it would sound as dead as a doornail. but anyway u're right, it depends on the guitar/pickups/player etc.

7. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

yeah its possible your way could work, absolutely, i just figured id throw my 2 cents in so he could try multiple things and see what works best for him :yesway:

8. Mattayus

sure thing man, i hear ya. just out of interest, what guitars/amps/pedals do you use?

9. FoxZero

FoxZero Zero Imperfections

haha, if I run the gain any lower I'm gonna feel like I'm not getting my moneys worth out of this amp, but yeah itsa gain whore. I forgot from recording in the past this pencil condenser doesn't like distortion too much so it might be adding the fizz.

Also I don't what the dip at 1.6k did. It cleans it up a tiny bit but kills the punch. A dip at 1.6k did wonders when I recorded with my pod, but I don't like how it sounds on my new amp. I kinda like it where it's at so I'll leave that frequency alone.

I'm gonna re-record that whole clip with my dynamic and condenser. The clip should be the best it can be before you mix in my opinion.

10. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedom™ Contributor

When recording, you do need to pull gain back significantly. Double-track and it'll all seem to be there in the final product, but if you don't let some transients through it'll just sound fucking tiny and hissy. Just do a track with your normal gain and a track with lower gain (a notch and a half or two notches back, give or take), put them on opposite sides, add demo drums and bass, and see which ones you can actually hear. I've never heard a track where the fizzy hissy overgained sound was better for the mix.

Jeff

11. Mattayus

erm wtf happened to the last page of posts on this?

12. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

13. Mattayus

Christ, ok

14. FoxZero

FoxZero Zero Imperfections

:lol: I was just looking up that last tip on here, damnet.

15. Mattayus

ok i'm an honest guy, i know when to hold up my hand and admit i'm wrong, boosting at 2k is actually the shit, but only a tiny bit, like 3dbs max, try it, you get the nice pick attack squelch that helps extend the djent

16. demonlord78

demonlord78 SS.org Regular

I've always followed the principal that your tone should start with your amp, guitar and playing technique. If your looking for a more djenty sound try tweaking your amp settings rather than trying to adjust the sound after you've recorded. If you go in with a great sounding tone then all that is needed is a little post production eq and some compression. I've found that using lighter gauge strings and raising your bridge a bit higher helps in obtaining good bite. That in conjunction with lower gain settings really makes your notes pop out more in the mix. Just my 2 cents.

17. Mattayus

yeah well when i talk EQ i mean before recording, amp or pedal EQ, not studio EQ. infact i rarely do anything to my songs post-production wise, because i think if u have to do alot post-production you obviously missed something pre-production

18. demonlord78

demonlord78 SS.org Regular

Oh sorry Mattayus. My question was directed towards the initial question. Hopefully you didn't take it as if I were contradicting your post. I should have quoted.

19. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

I think using an OD type sound, with LOADS of mids into a (somewhat/slightly) scooped, more saturated tone. Cause cranked OD's with loose-ish strings gives you djent, but the distortion you put on top of that gives you the real "crunch" sound to it.

20. elite8

elite8 Banned