How to EQ a tight djent?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jammers33, Feb 18, 2008.

1. FoxZero

FoxZero Zero Imperfections

Yeah, that's what I want, sort of djent but with a lot of warmth to it. I think my Cobra does it personally. Lately though, I find myself not using my Screamer pedal a bit, like I don't want too much djent :lol:

I use a switch on my amp that kills most of the mids except for a bit for the low mids, as long as the upper mids are scooped I'm happy. I plan on buying a 31 band eq soon :)

Also, best Meshuggah tone? I vote for :bowdown: Destroy Erase Improve

2. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

I like meshuggah's tone for meshuggah, just like i like bulbs tone for bulb. but it wouldn't suit my music i don't think. i'm after my own sound which sorta draws its elements from everything metal. it's djenty, but not crazy prog djenty, if u get me... infact, it's a little bit like Dinos in a sense. but less industrial lol

I tried boosting at 2k, just made it sound hissy and horrible personally. maybe i'm doing something wrong? upper mids are a no no in my book, but that's just my preference

3. drawnQ

drawnQ SS.org Regular

i'd try boosting at or around 2k, but don't go extreme with it. you can do it at a smaller amount then compress and redo. just remember how compressing will affect signals you have not eq'd

4. FoxZero

Yeah I personally cut cut between 1.5K and 2k. Upper mids equal honk for me, especailly amps with EL34s it seems like.

5. Mattayus

FortePenance likes this.
  6. FoxZero

That was interesting, even if I do the opposite of what you do to a degree :lol:
    I have always hated low cuts. At least in my band cause the bassist doesn't follow me and the low cut just takes out some heaviness since the bassist doesn't fill it.
    Also some engineers consider the upper mids to extend to the 5K freq, but disagree with that to a degree, I sgree they're around the 2k region and they should be stopped at all costs!

7. Mattayus

thanks man. well, my actual amp tone is nothing like that example, it's much heavier. but the only reason i make it more anorexic for recording is because you get much less fuzz, and when multitracking it thickens up, and it doesn't go too chubby on post production.

i've just been lookin at EQ pedals, think i might have to get this one
    HARLEY BENTON EQ-100 - U.K. International Cyberstore

8. drawnQ

drawnQ SS.org Regular

great article-
    simple and to the point
    good samples for reference.

9. FoxZero

Yeah I just started multitracking and it does wonders, but I still limit my high cut to 16k just to give the cymbals more breating room. Leads I cut at 12k or lower so my ears don't bleed :lol:

That EQ pedal is a lot like a Boss GE-7, and bands are just too Narrow for me. I was considering one for sculpting my leads tones better, but I was looking into an MXR-108 Ten Band Graphic EQ. But I'd still rather get a 2 channel 31 band eq since I wanna go completely rack.

10. Mattayus

awesome thanks man, i didn't wanna go too 'pro' a) because i dont know too much about it, i am after all an amateur! and b) my site is predominantly for beginners really. not so much beginners but people who are just finding themselves as guitarists. thanks man that's exactly what i was aiming for, wanted to keep it simple, just to the basics

yeah i'm tryin to go rack but lack of funds prevails

11. FoxZero

Same here. :( But I don't feel the need to Eq my new amp just yet.

Btw you don't consider this clip phissy do ya? No post preccessing at all.
    http://foxzero.net/Music/Venom_demo.mp3

It's just a bit thin until I can hook up my dynamic mic.

12. Mattayus

It suits the riff u're playing for sure. There's a bit of fizz, but that's just the nature of the amp really, mine does the same. Less gain would do it some wonders, but other than that it's a fuckin aggressive tone man, i like it

13. FoxZero

Thanks. I don't think I can make the gain lower :lol: It's at 10 o'clock and my screamers drive is at one. I here with this amp there's less fizz at higher volumes, the masters already at 3 o'clock and the channel's volume is at 1, I can't handle any louder until I get tracking headphones.

I'm gona try putting the 16k cut on that clip to see what it does. When I put my D110 bass mic on my amp it'll thicken up for sure. I'm still contemplating getting an SM57, as they deffinately aren't as transparent as my mics.

BTW you want fizz? Check out my old POD tone :lol:
    http://foxzero.net/Music/BM TLO82 HG.mp3

14. net48734

net48734 SS.org Regular

I think what has A LOT to do with that djent sound (if thats what your after) is about 50% your finger/playing style/just the way you PLAY strings, and the a good active pickup. EMG, Blackouts..whatever. They do make a world of difference in tonal sound.

15. FoxZero

Actives :noway:
    My M7 pwns all actives.

16. Mattayus

you're right though, slamming down on the strings, especially the treble notes within a chord, djent out a treat. But you do have to have a clear tone to begin with. if you listen to bulbs tone on some of his soundclick.com tracks without bass, you can hear that his guitar tone is actually really quite tinny and flat, which helps deliver that high crunch. i think his amazing kick pedal might have something to do with it too.

17. net48734

net48734 SS.org Regular

Hell yes.. And im sure he'd agree. You mix all the flavors to get the final taste. Take out one (like bass drum, or bass in general) and it tastes sour and thin. His tone is great and he is great at eq'ing. But his guitar tone alone by itself is thin and high. But your right it helps deliver and break through that awesome bass drum and bass guitar tone he has. Now the 8 string.... thats a differnt story. Ever try to get a djent sound out of a bass? :ugh:

Isnt the M7 primarily used for acoustic guitars?

18. FoxZero

The Lundgren M7 wtf? It's Mushaggah's signature pup and Bulb uses it! :lol:

Anyways I've been experimenting with equing that clip. It's all on the the low range of my 7 so a low pass filter didn't do shit. A dip at 8.3k didn't do anything cause it's not there and a dip a 2k didn't sound too hot this time around. My amp has this notch switch on it that kills most of the mids except for a bit of the low mids. It instantly kills all the honk :lol:

Right now I'm trying to eliminate the fizz.

Here's my mix test using Mattayus's advice. A boost at 650h and a dip slight dip at 1.6k and 8.3k. Also a high pass at 16k but I can't tell with these headphones.
    http://foxzero.net/Music/Venom_nm.mp3

The original.
    http://foxzero.net/Music/Venom_demo.mp3

19. jammers33

jammers33 SS.org Regular

yeah man you dont want to boost it too much

20. Harray 18

Harray 18 SS.org Regular

jaaames harv ses we can go round yours on sunday to record?????

its harry btw :yesway: