How to change the strings on an Ibanez RG120?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Djenty, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Djenty

Djenty SS.org Regular

I know this is a nub question but I have to learn it sometime.

Can someone explain to me how to take off and restring my Ibanez RG120?

I turned the pegs to let the string come out, that's obvious, but the bridge has me confused. I have no idea what to do when it comes to taking the string out of the bridge part if anyone could help me there thanks.

2. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

I'm not a tremolo person, so I may be wrong. Loosen the things at the bridge holding the strings, then push the strings out. They'll come out through the other side. Put on the new strings. Always put one wrap around the tuning peg before you actually put the string through, and put tension on it while tuning up. Always stretch new strings.

3. Djenty

Djenty SS.org Regular

Thanks very much I got the first string off. But i' have another obstacle.
    I've been told to take the strings off one at a time, and never take them all off at once, but I have a new bridge pickup I'm putting in. WTF?
    So Won't I have to take ALL my strings off to replace the bridge pickup? I'm so confused..
    I have taken out the low E string so far and that's it. I scared..

Well I think I might have realized something.
    Do you put the pickup in threw the back of the guitar?
    At this point your probably worried of me replacing my pickups, haha don't worry my dad/gpa are doing it xD
    Just need confirmation on that.

4. espman

espman Is beardless....

Block the trem, then take all of the strings off. The pup's are mounted from the front of the guitar, if they were rear mounted there woundn't be any tab routs :agreed:

5. Djenty

Djenty SS.org Regular

What exactly do you mean by block the trem? What is the trem? That stupid ass black bar that I never use cuz it just knocks my guitar out of tune xD

Let me remind you im a beginner

6. The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole SS.org Regular

http://ibanez.s3.amazonaws.com/Cms/Bulk/TremHowTo.swf

This video is available on the how to section of the Ibanez website. Helped me when I started. The RG120 looks like it is fixed bridge with a tremolo bar (much like the Ernie Ball musicman guitar) so I don't think it will matter a jot if you take all the strings out or not. I take them all out then use the bar to raise the trem when I put a string on.