How to buy your first seven string.

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by r3tr0sp3ct1v3, Apr 20, 2012.

1. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I had this great idea for a sticky that could go on this subforum. It could be a guide on how to purchase your first seven: the do's and don'ts. People could share their views on seven strings to the people who have yet to purchase one.

You could also put all the "Scale length threads, vs. threads, and the question threads like "Is Schecter muddy?"

Tell me what you guys think. Too many times have I gotten on here and seen threads about scale length. This could also go into the other subforums like standard, bass, and extended range.

I just think there needs to be a sticky for questions. It could keep the place cleaner and leave more room for NGD's :lol:

Skitzoification likes this.
  2. Skitzoification

Skitzoification Randall Die Hard

I'd like to see it happen. :yesway:

EDIT: In giving deeper thought into this, there would still be a good number of people who Will post new threads with questions anyways. :lol:

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If there's one thing that seeing multiples of similar threads should show you is that new users don't look at sticky threads, just like they don't search. It sucks, but it's true.

Also, the bigger and more encompassing a stickied thread is, the harder to actually get information out of it. A new user isn't going to sort through a list of dozens of old threads that reference dozens more. They probably should if they actually want to learn something, but the internet is all about instant gratification.

By all means, if you, or any other user, would like to take the time and put together a solid, concise, grammatically and factually accurate thread for those sections, I'd be all for putting it up as a sticky.

As I always say when folks request a sticky thread: hop to it guys!

4. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

With money.

5. Skitzoification

I'd be more than happy to create a sort of Bullet list (neck scale, frets, fretboard, neck/nut width, neck profile and whatnot). :D

EDIT:eek:ops.lol I think the purpose of this thread Is more along the lines of how to deal with sellers and Insuring quality.

6. MaxOfMetal

Like I said, make it knowledgeable, concise, and factually accurate. Anything opinion based, or simply lacking in content isn't worth a sticky. :yesway:

7. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 Grey

I just thought i'd be a cool idea. I don't have the time to build a thread like that now but i've got 3 months off for summer.

I can probably get some work done on it (if i'm not starting my build of course,either way)

8. Skitzoification

hm. :squint: got my hopes up.:lol:

9. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

It would have to be broken down into segments, perhaps something like this;

1. Why choose a 7 string?
    2. Popular brands, options and choices (with basic guidelines for common genres)
    3. Features explained (scale length, wood choice, neck heel, common pickups)
    4. Where to find 7 strings new (Trusted online retailers, perhaps?)
    5. Acquiring 2nd hand guitars through online auction sites safely
    6. Simple setup guide and repairing common flaws on a 2nd hand instrument

In brief;
    7. Popular amp and FX combinations
    8. Popular recording equipment and software

But as has already been said, new users don't know where the search function is. Perhaps someone should make a Youtube video of how to use it and make new users direct to that page when they sign up.

10. Skitzoification

yes, but I think sections of the guitar should be more segmented, to prevent confusion. I'm leaning towards making the info short and sweet, while still providing key information.

example:Maple boards with a mahogany body provide more punch and snap to the dark sound of maple. something like that.

I'm not to sure If adding a section In the thread with adding guidlines for dealing with CL sellers will be on topic, but I'd like to write It out and try anyways. can't hurt If any mods say no to that bit. :)

11. MaxOfMetal

Remember where I said we'd need facts and not opinions or misinformation? :)

12. Skitzoification

hahaha should have thought about that more clearly. :wallbash: I'll just stick with body wood descriptions then.

EDIT: I meant to say mahogany in the end of that sentence. damn I need coffee.

13. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

I believe this is all probably a waste of time as most new comers don't bother reading. Makes no difference as their threads are moved to Beginner and FAQs anyways.

14. Skitzoification

I hate to say it, but yeah. :lol: I still want to see what comes out of this first though. :lol:

15. Velixo

Velixo SS.org Regular

How about you include polls, or like, general opinions? Such as "Most people experience blah as blahblah while some find them blah."

Awesome thread idea btw! :yesway:

16. Skitzoification

thanks man, We'd like all the help we can get. I'm not really capable of writing this on my own right now.:lol: