how to buy a nice 7 in canada

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by joshhale7, Sep 6, 2018.

1. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

been trying to buy a jackson soloist 7 or prestige 7 online but nothing I order can ship to canada. its my first 7 and I havnt played in years but I dont mess around with shit quality anything so im looking for an axe that can compete with anything for 1500-1800. if any of you guys have a nice ibanez or jackson for sale hit me up or if you know of any nice 7s that ship to canada let me know. I play metal and like the super strat type of bodies so im not looking for a blue flame burst les paul shaped body with rosewood. I know carvins are sick but I couldnt write anything on something that looks like santana would play.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

None of this makes any sense.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was able to google it and find several places that ship guitars like that in Canada. Cosmo Music? LA Music? Long and McQuade lets you do online orders, I think? There are lots of metal-looking guitars from Carvin/Kiesel too, so I don't know what you meant by that comment.

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

This.

If your intent is to buy something cheap/used that has the quality of a $1500-1800 guitar then check reverb or kijiji looking for prestige 7s or Korean made 7s: LTD 1000 series, Schecter, etc.

The used gear market in Canada isn’t great, but from time to time some things will show up here and there. Most of my gear has been from the used market.

AxeHappy and XPT707FX like this.
  5. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

I've had no issue buying extended range instruments in Canada / shipped to Canada. Some guitars stay, some guitars go after a few weeks, months, or years, but I buy several guitars a year around 3-4 of which annually are in the USD$1500+ range.

What guitar(s) are you trying to buy specifically? It sounds dumb but a lot of really cool stuff simply isn't available here despite being widespread just South of the border.

What websites are you looking at? Your favourite American retailer or the top 3 Google results might not ship to Canada / might not ship that specific item to Canada, but tons of others do for sure.

I sort of understand not ordering from a local store. Places like L&M and Cosmo will order almost anything you want more or less, but it'll be marked as a special order and not be returnable (I never went through with several orders because of this but I'm not 100% sure on what their policy is on defects or other issues out of the box).

The used market isn't booming but I also agree there's always tons of great gear up for sale. With a little help from members here I transitioned from using Kijiji and Reverb (where to this day I still see plenty of great deals on extended range) to using Facebook instead. I was actually amazed at how often really nice guitars get listed for steal prices in more populated places this side of the border like the GTA, Montreal and Vancouver.

And lastly. Bite the cost to import. Getting things across the border sucks. But it's the internet there's tons of amazing deals out there that can be made better if you're just willing to ask. I've bought guitars used / on sale / clearance from places around the world that after shipping cost and import fees (always try to find out estimates of import fees for anything outside the US before buying) come out to HALF of what a local retailer was charging.

And just my opinion from your post, for $1500 (CAD I'm assuming), go used. From a reputable seller you'll get more guitar for your money and have a verification of the quality you are asking for instead of rolling the dice and seeing what kind of fret ends or finish quality comes out the box.

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Ordee through long and mcquade since they carry both those brands.

Done.

7. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

lamusic already tried to steal 1500 dollars from me. took it from my account and said they didnt so I needed to file a credit charge dispuit. tryd ordering off of sweetwater and they said only certain ibanez guitars can be shipped because of the woods and no jacksons can be shipped, also musiciansfriend cant sell me an ibanez or jackson in canada. I never checked every single site but a lot of sites had the same results so I thought it was the same everywhere. ill try long and mcquade or comsomusic. thanks.

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Sweetwater and MF are based in the USA and sometimes have shipping restrictions. Between Long & Mcquade and Cosmo Music you can pretty much get any well-known brand guitar on the market. Call or go in-person to a local L&M or go to Cosmo Music if you live in the area (I prefer Cosmo, by far) and get them to order you whatever instrument you want.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Tundra music, reverb, ebay, amazon, long & mcquade occasionally get something good...you've got options.

10. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

just ordered sl7 from long and mcquade. thanks you guise.

11. budda

well L&M will price match amazon, and I'v yet to hear anything good about Tundra.

12. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Why not look on Kijiji? that’s where I usually find the best possible deals. Even if not local most are willing to ship.

13. budda

Shipping via kijiji buy is a great way to lose money fast.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ I've not had it happen personally, but I'd also second that sentiment. I deal with kijiji a lot, but almost never ship anything. Seems like a lot of risk to me.

15. js75

js75 SS.org Regular

If anyone is looking a carvin 7 string in the Edmonton area I have one.Just thought i would throw that out there.

16. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Ibanez's distributor in Canada, Efkay, is well known for being an absolutely fucking useless company. My condolences. L&M is probably your best bet buying domestically. Otherwise, hit the used market and swallow the customs fees.

17. joshhale7

joshhale7 SS.org Regular

so after 3 weeks long and mcquade finally tell me my order is not going to be in until january....jesus christ been trying to give someone 1500 dollars for a 7 string for almost a month and a half now. I could die tomorrow.....not waiting four months for a guitar. freaking hell on earth i tell ya.....i live in banff and theres like 1 acoustic on kijiji. not too into getting a second hand really. really dont know what to do at this point

18. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

19. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Another option:
    1. Go to reverb.com
    2. Set the following filters:
      1. Ships To: Canada
      2. Seller Location: Canada
      3. Categories: All Electric guitars
      4. Brands: Jackson, Ibanez
      5. Condition: Brand New
    3. There are 800ish results. Find a 7 string you like from a highly rated dealer (e.g. Guitarworks)

20. ryanscott6

ryanscott6 SS.org Regular