How to build a cooling system for your rack.

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by 7 Dying Trees, May 2, 2007.

1. TheGerman

TheGerman SS.org Regular

I like the way the rack looks but I have some suggestions to make it look better if you ever plan on 'upgrading' your cooling system. If you were to purchase some clear, non LED, fans and install some cold cathodes you would get a much more even color and would have more options as far as color. You could even pick up some sound activated cold cathodes which would make for some amazing light shows.

Check out Xoxide.com - Custom ATX Computer Cases, PC Mods, Computer Case mods, and Modded PC Cases for cold cathodes and Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for case fans.

2. bdzin

bdzin SS.org Regular

We have been listening to your comments and complaints on fan noise and now you won't have to listen to your fanset, that is, if it is the new AFD-1. Right now you're wondering how a fanset be so quiet that you may not hear it run. We have designed custom control circuitry to enable an almost silent fanset. Of course we have temperature control, but that is secondary in this design.

Well, what if we told you that the AFD-1 also has a microphone input to listen to your environment? That's right a fanset that also has an automatic speed control that responds to sounds! When the sound level is low, the fanset runs ever so slowly and quietly to prevent hot spots in your rack. When the sound level goes up so does the fans speed. Operation in this manner pre-empts the generation of heat. Your equipment may never get hot again!

The AFD-1 has a user adjustable gain control to allow that fanset to immediately adjust its speed in response to the sound level in your environment. So when you're listening to something loud the fanset is running at full speed and immediately drops to the almost silent low speed setting when the sound level returns to normal.

For every beat of the bass drum, for every note of the singer and running constantly at high speed while jamming, the AFD-1 is designed for pre-emptive cooling. As soon as the music starts, the AFD-1 kicks into high. It won't wait for a higher temperature to tell it to start running fast. A fanset running in this manner will always pull cooler air through your cabinet BEFORE your expensive components have even started to heat up.

We chose to run the AFD-1 at a slow speed constantly to insure that hotspots within your rack will never occur. The constant draw through your enclosure will insure that hotspots are eliminated permanently.

A fanset with these features needs a really neat name, so we decided to call it, Sounds Cool -- we think you'll agree.

We have a line in connector if your needs dictate. The included thermistor can be remotely located and both connections are available on a rear mounted terminal block.

The control board is a custom 2 sided circuit board with more than 70 components, the majority being the best available in surface mount technology today.

The new Sounds Cool AFD-1, the best fanset on the market today is available in limited quantities right now at our introductory pricing of $379.95 plus shipping and handling. The AFD-1 has everything you need to use it today right inside the box. There is nothing else to buy as we include 10-32 rack mount screws, rack rash washers and power supply with six foot cord.

At high sound levels the Sounds Cool AFD-1 will pull over 175 cubic feet of heated air out of your cabinet at a maximum of just under 50 dBA, but you probably won't even hear it! At an idle they are almost silent at just under 21 dBA.

The Sounds Cool AFD-1 is housed in a 2RU panel fabricated from 16-gage cold rolled steel and flanged 4 times and powder coated in a smooth black finish. These are the strongest fanset panels on the market today! If yours is a mobile application, these are the fansets for you. The three individual fans are mounted on four, soft gel isolators to separate possible fan noise away from the panel itself.

If you're not amazed you should probably check your pulse! If you're as amazed as we are proud of the Sounds Cool AFD-1, buy one today!

Sounds Cool

3. Mesheshuggah91

Mesheshuggah91 Nigerian Nightmare

badass man, would that work on a head too? I've got a Line 6 HD100 and after 30 minutes of playing if there's not a fan on it it dies. also I did not know blowing air into an amp was bad, thank you for that I'll have to find another way to cool it down

4. DancingCloseToU

DancingCloseToU SS.org Regular

That's a good idea :idea: I dont see why not, as long as you can find a way to mount the fans... It certainly won't look as cool though :cool:

5. baconbag

baconbag SS.org Regular

Sorry for the noob question, but do you attach it to the power amp itself or to the rack mount above the power amp?

6. baconbag

baconbag SS.org Regular

disregard that. Didn't even look at the last pic.

7. chimpinatux

chimpinatux SS.org Regular

I thought id share this:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just stuck some 40mm fans inside the edge of my 20/20 chassis, keeps it surprisingly cooler and gets the air flowing more

8. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

That's a f***ing sick rack. Sure as hell beats mine haha!

9. baconbag

baconbag SS.org Regular

So, how do you control the power? Do you just plug/unplug the DC converter? I found a 4 pin Molex with a switch running throught the 12V. If anyone has the time/knowlege would you be able to say whether or not this would work? Heres a link
    Molex 4 Pin on/off Power Switch 12V DC

10. baconbag

baconbag SS.org Regular

Also, I plan on using 80mm fans (fits 2u) so I'm not sure if that changes anything.

11. Menigguh

Menigguh SS.org Regular

Super cool. I am soooooo Going to do this!