How smart is your smart TV?!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bostjan, Mar 7, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wikileaks is at it again.

This time, the allegations are about a CIA cyberweapon and hacking into smart TV's.

So, two questions:

1. How much data are they collecting from smart TV's, assuming the reports are correct? Converting voice to text and then searching for key words seems like a pretty remarkable use of technology, but, depending on what the key words are, I can see this becoming a tremendous amount of data to sift through, or else, if keyed in on more specific words, maybe this would filter too much and thus render itself useless. Either way, I really don't see how it could be perfectly tuned to be useful at all.

2. If wikileaks does have the code to some sort of world-domination-level cyberweapon lifted off of the CIA, well, then, ...., I mean, even if that cat is out of one bag and into another, there's a good chance that technology will fall into the wrong hands. I guess the same could be said for the nuclear bomb... but at least the enriched uranium/plutonium is difficult to come by. Information can be spread more easily, because it's one thing that you can give to someone else without losing it yourself. In the most extreme case, could we be inevitably headed for something akin to what Y2K had been feared to be?!

2. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

My "Smart" TV cannot even maintain the wireless settings internal to the television to keep its Chromecast connection. If the CIA has a technology that will make the damn TV work, bring it on :)

3. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I'm not sure I know exactly what they're hoping to get here.

I imagine any terrorist, rebel, or anarchist worth their salt would know better than to discuss their plans in their living room, for one thing.

For another, how often do the key words they're looking for turn up in TV shows, video games, movies, the news, or in family discussions thereof? You're gonna have to sift through all of that before you even come close to finding anything useful.
    How many times are you gonna hear references to guns and bombs shouted by some kid playing COD over Xbox Live?... and even that would be after you filter out the intro sequence of Skyrim coming from the same house for the hundredth time cause whoever's playing is real indecisive about what kind of character to make. Or maybe that's just me...

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Clearly not useful in the Orwellian mass surveillance sense, but perhaps useful for eavesdropping on a small set of high priority targets. People get worked up when they read these things but in reality the government rarely does anything with computer technology that's truly cutting edge.

An occasion some clever stuff does happens though:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

5. bostjan

Because 9/10 Jihadists own a 60" OLED flatscreen, right? :nuts:

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Great documentary about this called Zer0 Days, pretty scary stuff knowing this is the level we're operating at

7. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I've often wondered if Neilsen was spying on my cable box.

8. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Time and resources, that's generally all it takes... If it is connected to the internet you can probably find it, exploit, and gain access. Sometimes, even if it is not connected to the internet (see Stuxnet zero day), it can be exploited. Governments and state sponsered actors are usually the ones that can devote that sort of time to attacks.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Who said they are spying on Jihadists? :coffee:

I still more scared about what we think we know...this is the tip of the iceberg. :ugh:

10. bostjan

:agreed:

If knowledge is power, then what is erroneous knowledge?

11. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Trump administration?

12. bostjan

:lol:

:squint:

:ugh:

13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Considering the 65' 4K I just got a month ago likes to turn off and then on again at totally random times, I wouldn't say that smart.

Also, I think the main culprit in all of this is TVs with voice command.

14. bostjan

TV: Did you say "CNN" or "Jihad?" Oh, well, IDK, just in case, I'll turn on CNN and SMS the CIA.

15. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yup, Mic/Camera. Anything with those two can be accessed if hacked, in particular older androids were pretty vulnerable. But, the real issue is most of these types of devices are not very secure in the first place. You can find a lot of information on SHODAN, which is kind of like a "Google" for devices connected to the internet. It crawls the internet searching for meta data associated with login banners. It can provide search results for things like Routers, Web Cams, SCADA, and other IP based connections.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Something not included in most of these low-detail and/or fear-mongering articles is that to hack smart tvs in this fashion, they have to insert a USB drive in it first. :wallbash: I guess if you had someone come in and do that you should be scared.

17. bostjan

Unless the firmware with the bug was already installed before you received your TV.

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I still have a big-ass Sony Trinitron as my main TV... but my microwave is relatively new so there is still a chance I'm being spied-on.

19. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

No cam on my smart tv, but the remote control does have a mic for voice commands. If someone wants to listen to what we say, then bring it on. I bet 99% of the picked up words are "robot! Robot! Robot!", "tractor! Car! Train!" And "cat! Cat! Cat! Dog! A lamp!" From my two year old son...

20. bostjan

Yeah, I don't have a smart TV.

I do have a tablet, though. Although, there's nothing that interesting it'd pick up either. Just boring conversations between me and my buddies about how my friend crashed his Porsche 911:

"That 911 was the best"
    "You, too bad it's all over now."
    "What a spectacular crash that was, though"
    "Yeah, it was like 'NEEEERom-BOOM!"

Wait a minute, man, that's not what it sounds like... :ugh: