How many tunings do you use for your songs and why?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by gujukal, Mar 8, 2018.

1. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I've been thinking a lot about guitar tunings last years, mainly what tunings i should records my own songs with. In reality, most people will probably not care what tuning you're playing in, but it seems important to a lot of guitarists.
    I'm currently playing drop G# on a sevenstring and also drop C# on a six, which makes it easy since i can just drop the sixth string on my seven and play all my songs on one guitar. But I'm also tempted to go lower, I've thought about drop F on a 7 since I've written some stuff in the past, maybe i could just drop the low G# even more to make it more convenient. A lot of tunings can be a hassle playing live, which I've been experiencing in the past.

So do you stick to one tuning for your own songs or do you like to have several and so why?

2. Eden

Eden SS.org Regular

I find that lately I really like keeping my tunings consistent. I've been playing in E standard a lot more, but I also have another six string for Drop C, and my seven string is B-Standard. I think my logic behind it is because of songwriting for my band, it means we can get by without having to switch guitars as much. I've been wanting to go lower, but I wan't to write enough material to justify it before I start thinking of playing lower songs in a band context

Strobe likes this.
  3. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Exactly what I've been thinking, doesn't feel worth it having one guitar dedicated to drop F if i only have song in that tuning. I would probably dedicate a lot of time with it to justify it.

4. Nick4764

Nick4764 SS.org Regular

I'll play in any tuning, but as far as bands go I use EADGCFAD mainly, though for some songs Drop C, another band plays in Drop A and another in Standard B. I'd love to write more in Drop F# but that's a little difficult seeing as I only have one 7 atm. For solo stuff, I tend to play around with tunings a bit more, with a lot of songs in C# or C standard

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I stick to one, sort of. Depends how many strings. Essentially I only tune to fragments of this 10 string chain: B E A D G C F Bb Eb Ab. That's perfect 4ths, 5 frets between every string consistently. So if I'm in the mood for a 6, it might be in D, or baritone A. 7s generally in A. 8s in E, 9 string in E with a high Ab, or low B, and so on. So they are all transpositions but because so many strings are shared, I know most of the notes and tend to think of them in terms of strings added/missing from either side of the guitar, rather than being tuned lower or higher.

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Different tuning each time I change time signatures. it really fucks with the guys from Cherry Lane.

Eden likes this.
  7. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

All but 1 of my guitars/basses is tuned 'standard' :
    F# on my 8
    B on my 7
    E on my 6s
    B on my 5
    E on my 4
    I write primarily death metal, and these work for me. Early on, learning metallica and carcass (etc) necessitated these standard tunings. Once I jumped to an 8 string, F# just felt right. I dabbled in drop D for a while, but I guess I'm just a power chord kinda guy.
    Now, my explorer is in D standard because I feel that black metal sounds better in D (or Dsharp) over E. \m/\m/

Edit: I guess D standard is a standard tuning... I suppose I mean 'different than E' or 'not a drop tuning'

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I usually settle on something for a particular guitar then stick with that tuning on that guitar. I've played around with a lot of open tunings or whatever and I've found that it usually puts me more into a rut, when I'm usually trying a new tuning to get out of a rut.

My 19-EDO stuff went from standard to drop A to now standard a whole step down, and sometimes drop G. The low low notes with the extended scale length instruments I've managed to pick up seem to work best in that register. Any lower and things turn to mush for me.

For just about everything else, I've stuck with B1EADGBEA4. It puts me right in line with other musicians and it's familiar for me.

Winspear likes this.
  9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Drop C# for everything in our band. For my own stuff I'll use whatever.

10. Genocyber

Genocyber SS.org Regular

E standard only here... don't know why really... just works for me better...

11. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Interesting, wish 8-strings would be my shit, got an 8-string a few weeks ago to be able to play lower but still have the same 7-string tuning. Not really think it's my thing, sevens seems to be the perfect instrument for me, plenty of range but still not too many strings to think about.

12. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

7 String Bb Standard, Tele E standard/Open C

13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I pretty much only use Drop B. I don't play my seven much anymore.

My Jackson is in drop D though.

14. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I usually stick to one tuning per instrument and I like the idea of having one guitar per tuning.
    I find myself playing different stuff depending if it's a 6,7 or 8 string guitar.
    In case I want to try a different tuning I'll probably buy another guitar (best excuse ever to justify GAS).

EDIT: 6 string is in E std, 7 in drop G , 8 in drop E

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  15. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

My 7 strings are always in Drop G# or A# standard. Basically only variations of that tuning. As for 6 strings I typically stick around Drop C but I tend to experiment all over the place anything from Drop D to C# standard.

16. RND

RND SS.org Regular

It's usually best to stick to a standard tuning for each instrument, otherwise you'll have intonation issues. In terms of playing live too, the more tuning changes there are, the more logistical issues you can have with keeping everyone in tune with each other.

For me, I just keep it as simple as possible, and stick with a standard tuning, with the possibility to drop tune just one string. KISS works very well, but if you can pull off changing tunings with the gear and swaps involved, along with justifying the need, don't hold back :hbang:

17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

B standard on 7 string, will mess around with drop A, and have one tune I worked on a while back that was ADADGBe.
    Standard and Drop D on 6 strings, will sometimes mess around with Drop C. Usually though if I feel the need to go lower than Drop D for my own writing, I'd rather just go over to 7 string.
    8 string is still in F# standard because I haven't really messed around with it too much at this point.

18. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

D, C#, C, A and G Standard, and I have one or two guitars in Drop C. I almost always play in a standard tuning though.