How long does one have to wait on craigslist for offers?Thinking of trading into GC..

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by brootalboo, Jul 26, 2011.

1. brootalboo

brootalboo My boo

I'm basically selling my whole setup to try and get a new one, ALA

My 7 string Shecter Hell raiser- $450

White Epiphone Les Paul Custom with EMG 81/85- $400

Peavey 1x12 combo- $400

and a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass- $300

In hopes of getting a legit guitar, and a legit half stack. My main problem is, i have all these items on sale on craigslist, but NOBODY is biting on any of it (it's been about a month)! I don't think the gear is priced high!? And it's not like I'm in some cow town, I'm in the middle freaking LA! I've been thinking about trading my stuff into guitar center and just using the credit towards purchasing as much towards a full stack and a legit guitar as possible...

2. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

If you do, just don't let yourself get fucked too much on everything.

If they offer WAY too low, then just walk away.

3. fallvictim21

fallvictim21 New Member

I have had the same issue with my listing, about a month going. I have received plenty of spam and fraud scams. And people who never reply back.

4. DWJK

DWJK New Member

Never sell anything to guitar center. Ever.

5. AzzMan

AzzMan SS.org Regular

How often do you repost the ads? How well are they written? Are there pictures? That's all very important. I wouldn't sell to GC just because they won't give me what my gear is worth. I'd rather hold on to it than sell it for a pittance.

6. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Here's the thing: Guitar Center is a business. They're buying your gear because they want to sell it and make a profit off of it. So if you're having trouble selling your gear for the price you're asking, they'd probably sell it for less than you're currently asking, and give you a percentage of that. So if you're having trouble selling your Hellraiser for $450, they might think that $400 is the right price for it, and offer you, say, $250. Even if they thought they could sell it for $500, you're probably not going to get more than $300 out of it. So go in there with that mindset, and you should be fine. Obviously you can get more selling your stuff on your own, but since that hasn't worked out for you this far, maybe it's time to consider the convenience of selling to GC vs. continuing to post on CL and getting no response.

7. brootalboo

brootalboo My boo

Ya I think it might be high time. :idea: I'm going in today and will report back with results. Thanks everybody!

8. brootalboo

brootalboo My boo

You know, craigslist just added this "renew posting" button that I've been hitting every three days that is pretty useful. I keep all four listings in a folder and renew them all at the same time.

As far as the writing, I had a link to the ads but I think a mod took it down. I'm still learning the ropes here :)

9. Deathbringer769

Deathbringer769 SS.org Regular

7 string Schecter Hellraiser isn't a legit guitar?

10. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

There's no way in hell guitar center will give you what you want. You're much better off selling it yourself.

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

You might look at completed listings on eBay to see how much your gear is selling for used. (No matter how great a shape your gear is in, it *is* used, and so you shouldn't base your pricing on any new pricing.)

If you want to move stuff quickly, you'll need to go lower than those prices.

Although you've only just started your membership at SS.org, and therefore can't post your items here, there are other forums which allow you to buy a sponsoring membership and sell. If you're looking to avoid eBay and Craigslist, that could be one avenue.

Too bad you only recently found SS.org. Become a member who contributes to the conversation, and you'll be in a better position the next time you want to sell gear.

Cheers!

12. brootalboo

brootalboo My boo

Thanks for the advice.:yesway: Cheers!

13. kevinarich

kevinarich New Member

Isn't the going rate for a hellraiser like 350? When I'm on craigslist I'm looking for deals. I also won't bother if someone didn't leave a phone number. Also use photobucket to post pics not the little 4x4 squares they give you.

What peavey combo is it?

14. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 $250
    Epiphone LP Custom $275
    Hellraiser C7 $300

These are the "deal" prices for these items, Guitar center will give you HALF of this. Don't go.

15. Dvaienat

Dvaienat New Member

I have currently got my 2 guitars advertised on the UK equivalent of Craigslist, Gumtree. I've had them up for 4 weeks, and have them up for bargain prices. I've one reply for my Dean, which came on saturday, and none on my Ibanez.

16. thrashcomics

thrashcomics SS.org Regular

i wish more people came in with this attitude. we cant pay you what its worth because we have to resell it. we sell it for less than market value and still have to make a profit. i often tell people to try cl first and if they dont sell in a week or two to come back and see me.

17. Gryphon

Gryphon SS.org Regular

Just sold a guitar to Guitar Center, in the email exchange they told me they offer about 60-65% of market value for the instrument

18. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

bullshit, I went in with a 200$(technically 300$ guitar to them but, used they go for 150-200$) guitar and they offered me 60$ being generous they said.

Granted its a cheap guitar but pfft 60% my ass I would have taken 100$ and ran like a bandit.

19. Ghost40

Ghost40 Dude

GC won't give you what you are asking. No where near it. As others have stated they want to turn a profit. Generally GC sales person will look it up on eBay and offer 60% of that. They will also check to see if any stores in ther area have sold the item used and at what price. If they have, they will offer 60% on the lowest selling price. The only good thing about trading to them is that they more than likely will give you 20% off of what ever NEW item you are going to buy when you trade in. Every one thinks they are getting screwed by them with trades. But the fact is, is you don't want to get pawnshop trade prices, don't sell there. Stick with craigslist or eBay etc. eBay can be a hassle with shipping, sales fees, paypal fees. Craigslist may not always be safe.
    I have used all 3 methods and eBay seems to be the fairest of them IMO.

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I gave up with those kind of sites and ebay everything now.