How Is This Sound Achieved?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Van, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Van

Van Banned

Are these pick scrapes? If so, how do I make my scrapes sound that powerful? Right now they sound pretty much like it sounds when you slide your fingers from position to position. If not, what are they?

it starts at around 35 seconds.

2. Fzau

Fzau Unleash the proggies

Those are rakes of the natural harmonics on the fifth fret I think.
    Just rake them with distortion going down.

Van likes this.
  3. ArkaneDemon

ArkaneDemon SS.org Regular

Indeed those are rakes on the natural harmonics, not sure which fret because I'm not sure what the tuning is on that album. But GORIJA IS FULL OF WIN. :lol:

Van likes this.
  4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Either fifth or fourth fret rakes, yeah. Same technique in the first video in my sig.

Van likes this.
  5. Van

Van Banned

thanks guys, that helps a lot!

6. JonnyDeath

JonnyDeath SS.org Regular

I wouldn't call those rakes if you do any legitimate arpeggio sweeping which unfortunately, most people don't know the difference between a sweep sequence and sweeping an arpeggio. Arpeggios are intended to be swept one direction from the root note then the opposing direction to return to the root note. Granted it's an actual arpeggio not a sweep pattern.
    So say you only sweep one direction and ascend into the piece, well you've just performed a rake regardless of whether you are hitting an arpeggio or "sweep" pattern. You raked one direction rather than sweeping in two. So most guys are not only not playing arpeggios but they're rake picking rather than sweep picking.

So to finally answer your question, those are just really lame pick slides/scrapes. He's scraping his pick down the strings, hurrah!

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

How are you guys hearing harmonics? I'm listening from :35 to about :55 and hearing pick scrapes.

I don't see how they are really lame... :scratch: I don't see how a technique can be lame unless it is not executed as intended, which certainly isn't the case here.

If you hold your pick at a harsh angle and scratch it against the low string while you chug, you should achieve this tone as long as your electronics are bright enough.

I must've missed that part, :scratch: cool vid, though.

8. Double A

Double A Subhuman

It sounds like they are using the sides of their pics to scrape the chords they play a few seconds later tbh.

9. bostjan

FYI : Link to video

Doesn't appear that they are doing anything special here technique-wise. Listen closely, and it sounds like a wah of some sort.

10. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

they are doing the harmonic as stated. tony danza tapdance does the same thing ;)

11. bostjan

I just listened through headphones again. You guys must be hearing a different song than I am. I don't hear anything even vaguely related to harmonics. :shrug:

What sounds like a pick scrape in the recorded version sounds more like an electronic effect in the live version, and if you watch his hands in the video, you can see normal chords being played.

12. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Ok, after raking while palm muting on the 5th fret I can pretty much say I think one guitarist is doing that and the other is playing the chord.

13. 7Mic7

7Mic7 SS.org Regular

14. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Yes, that is how you get that raking sound but on the recording and live there is clearly a chord being played in concert with the raking trick.

15. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

On the recording one guitar is playing chords and the other is doing raking. I haven't seen the video in question but if you fret notes while doing the rake and allow the flesh of the your thumb (pick hand)to slide against the strings you will have the fretted notes become apparent beneath the scrape and ring out after it ends.

16. groph

groph SS.org Regular

Rakes aren't sweep arpeggios. Sounds like one guitarist is doing the harmonic rake thing, while the other plays a chord in a fashion that isn't lame at all. Hurrah!

17. JonnyDeath

A rake is playing half the arpeggio be it an up stroke or down stroke to transition into the rest of the piece. Did you not understand a single thing I explained??
    Stupid question, you clearly did not!

Sweeping is back and forth, raking is a single directional stroke.
    Arpeggios on the other hand well, easily half the time someone plays a sweep they aren't actually playing an arpeggio as they so ignorantly believe. We can thank people like Rusty Cooley for this stupidity. A chord, scale and arpeggio are kindred to one another because they contain the same note content however, using a really wide stretch to play notes of an arpeggio that are on 2 strings in it's true form so you can reduce them to a single string and it's now no longer an arpeggio. You've now switched to the scale form and are simply sweep picking it for the sound and speed.

I watch videos from guys like Cooley a few times a year, they constantly call what they're doing a sweep and an arpeggio but it rarely ever is, It's usually a raked scale or a swept scale that simply contains the note content of arpeggio but the content in it's entirety and structure is actually just a scale they are sweeping or raking.

When you play a true arpeggio, it doesn't have the blurred, smeared sound of sweeping/raking a scale.

18. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

this is another members video. first one is at 0:39

19. JonnyDeath

So this is YET another forum where no independent thought or cynicism is allowed. Just nod and smile right?
    I'm sharing my opinions and knowledge, if you don't like it, then don't read it but don't sit there and tell me what to do. It's people like you that do not believe in freedom and feel positive emotions and compassion are the only acceptable attitudes.

You do NOT believe in freedom when you insist contrary opinions or negative feedback is attitude and unacceptable. I'm so disgusted by every forum I visit where it's just this endless sea of posts where guys praise one another about crap they bought or something they decided.

It's morons like this that call everyone "bro" and believe in synthetic equality rather than actual equality which means letting people say, think and do what makes them them.

20. lobee

lobee vicioustabbing

^If you've had issues with so many forums, do you ever think the problem might lie within yourself? You can have your own argument or differing opinion, but the problem people are most likely having with your arguments are the WAY you put them forth, your tact. Showing a little humility goes a long way toward basic interactions and having meaningful, civil discussions.:2c:

jl_killer likes this.