How is music in your country?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Patri_MA_Ruiz, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Patri_MA_Ruiz

Patri_MA_Ruiz SS.org Regular

Hey there guys. I wanted to ask you how do you feel about the music industry in your country. Is it well paid, are there many bands that actually make it in the global industry...?
    Cheers! =)

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Well we did bless the world with Nickelback and Bieber... :ugh:

As far as rock goes, I think there's a decent amount that are known around the world. Metal is a different story and doesn't get much traction as far as I can tell. I don't know anything about the industry over here, though, or how much it can pay.

3. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

The music industry is dying if it hasn't fully died already, barely anyone is making any sort of money and talent has become
    literally worthless because no-one is interested in funding it no matter how otherworldly it may be.
    Investing in musicianship from an economical standpoint is just about as useful as investing in mastering a Nintendo 64-game. From the listeners perspective, "paying" for music has gone from spending thousands of dollars to paying 9.99 for a spotify-account and whatever one payed for the router and internet-subscription.

You can be the best of the best on your instrument and still have to live on welfare and/or a crappy supplementation-job in the service-sector. Even back in the 90s when music in physical format and gigging generated actual money this was often the case.

The few people who actually make a living from playing music full-time are either in very specific situations (elite classical performers, organists, pop-culture icons etc) or they have to do all kinds of shit to stay afloat (youtube-comedian, brand-prostitute, 250 clinics a-year, monetized superfluous tutorial-videos and skype-lessons).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    TedEH likes this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

My country is home to some very successful rock bands, U2 and Thin Lizzy being the main ones but as for metal I'm not sure what bands are even still around. I have loads of friends who just got burnt out losing so much money and getting nowhere. The music scene is almost non existent here. I was in a pub one evening and a band were playing, apart from support bands and girlfriends there was barely 10 people watching. Turned out they were one of the bigger bands that had been at it for years with multiple albums under their belt.

On the other hand if any metal bands come over then its usually a sold out show. There's just very little long term support for local bands.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wasn't Van Morrison from Ireland as well, at least at some point?

Also, everyone from the 1990's remembers the Cranberries and My Bloody Valentine.

IIRC, though Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly, although associated in the USA with Ireland, are from the USA.

But yeah, I can't think of any metal bands from Ireland off the top of my head, even though "celtic metal" was an emerging genre for a while.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'd argue these are examples of artists sort of still attached to the legacy of the music biz, and riding on previous success. I have trouble imagining the 'biz is a viable option for any newcomers anymore.

7. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

So it's just like the US is now and has been for a long time then...

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Terrible except for flamenco and a few metal bands. When I say very bad I MEAN IT

9. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

In France ? We have mostly shitty musicless songs, choosing between very lyrics oriented ones and bad rap...
    I hate our radios so bad

10. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I'd say metal is still pretty huge in Quebec, and they seem to churn out some fairly successful bands (success as in name recognition among metalheads, which these days I wouldn't equate with quit-your-dayjob success).

BlackMastodon likes this.
  11. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Cyprus, pretty bad. Few bands from outside visit once a year and there are a few small festivals but that's about it on the metal front. The guys that I know that play in bands play in a few different ones.

12. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

say it with me

A M E R I C A