How do you rank Sevendust’s albums?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by duffbeer33, Mar 5, 2018.

1. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

I heard Denial on the radio in ’99 and something just immediately clicked for me with this band. The thick heavy low end of their sound combined with their ability to keep it musical and melodic has been the reason they’ve been my favorite band ever since. I thought this would be a fun exercise. They have 10 albums at this point and have another on the way, so it’s a perfect time to rank ‘em. I’m not including the acoustic album.

Best to Worst:
    1. Animosity – I think this album captures the essence of 7D the best. Drums and guitar tone are phenomenal on this record. Having “Praise” and “Angel’s Son”, two of the bands biggest singles, gives the album instant credibility. The latter half of the album has some highly underrated tracks like “Shine” and “Damaged” which are gripping lyrically. Still sounds great 15 years after release.

2. Home – In my opinion, their heaviest record. They came out of the gate with the title track “Home”, which had guitars tuned down to G#. Not many bands were doing that back in 1999. “Denial”, “Waffle”, and “Rumble Fish” were all monster tracks while one of my personal favorites, “Crumbled”, had an absolutely crushing bass tone. The two featured tracks, “Licking Cream” and “Bender” are probably the best guest vocals they've had.

3. Black Out the Sun – I think this is the band’s best work after Clint Lowery returned. “Decay” was a good lead track, while “Faithless” and “Black out the Sun” are examples of strong songwriting. I felt that they maintained a great balance of style on this record, with “Till Death” among their heaviest tracks ever, coupled with an impressive acoustic/ballad in “Got a Feeling”.

4. Seasons – Some Sevendust die-hard fans lost faith in the band with the release of Seasons because of a more radio-friendly sound. However, years later, this album still fits very well in the 7D body of work. “Enemy”, “Seasons”, and “Face to Face” are extremely strong tracks.

5. Sevendust – Their debut release had some good moments with “Black” and “Bitch”, however I always felt that things tapered off a bit after about the first 4 tracks. Very raw sound here and some glimpses of masterful songwriting are evident, but to me, things always felt a little disjointed on the latter half of this album.

6. Cold Day Memory – When Clint Lowery came back to the band in 08, the expectations were extremely high. I believe this album outperformed all three prior releases but did not top their earlier work. It was more consistent and mature sounding (I’ll attribute that to their work with producer Johnny K), but not an album I have to listen to over and over.

7. Alpha – Lots of chugging on this and very heavy, but that doesn’t make it the best. I always thought “Feed” and “Suffer” were highlights here, while “Deathstar” , “Confessions of Hatred”, and “Alpha” were face rippers, but the rest of the album, to me, was not memorable.

8. Kill the Flaw – This record was solid but I thought it felt a little boring and it just didn’t do it for me. Very few harmonies stuck in my head from this album. My theory is that they lost a little bit of the magic on this record after recording three straight albums at the same studio.

9. Next – “Ugly” was radio-ready, “Pieces” was added to many of their live shows, but other than that, there isn’t very much to remember here. The two acoustic songs on the album are not particularly good, and many of the songs are littered with Morgan’s screams. I believe they were trying to fill the void that was lost when Clint left the band and the product was just a bit messy.

10. Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow – I think this was their weakest effort for a variety of reasons. Sure, nothing is terrible here, but there’s just nothing that stands out. “Prodigal Son” is the main single here, and while it is catchy, I always thought it was one of their weakest singles.

Tell me why my list is wrong!

Noisy Humbucker likes this.
  2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

It is wrong, because they are actually all tied for tenth place.

3. duffbeer33

4. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

1. Sevendust
    2. Home
    3. Wait...there's more?

I kid, but I will say that Sevendust was the headliner at probably my favorite show I've ever been to. Skunk Anansie, Powerman 5000 (well...that's what I keep finding online about that tour, but I swear it was Stuck Mojo), Staind with Sevendust as the headliner. Not saying it was my favorite music or bands, but just everything about that show, the venue, my mood, the weather, who I was with, it all made for such an amazing show.

ThePhilosopher likes this.
  5. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

1. Home
    2. Animosity
    3. Sevendust
    4. All the rest tied because I haven't bothered listen to any of them more than a couple times. Just haven't been able to get into any of them after Animosity. There were a bunch of good songs littered throughout the albums, but as a whole, just a lot of kinda forgettable stuff.

ChrisRushing likes this.
  6. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I definitely loved their earlier stuff, but lost track after Animosity. Big fan of Lowery's guitar work, so I will definitely check out the albums after his return, as per your write up!

Out of the first 3, I'd rate them as:

1) Home
    2) Sevendust
    3) Animosity

I got into them right when the first record came out. I heard "Black" on the radio, and was blown away. I think that the first album has a ton of really good tracks on it.

7. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Always enjoyed Sevendust, though mainly the earlier albums. Been good live when I have seen them too.

1. Animosity
    2. Home
    3. Seasons
    4. Sevendust
    5. Alpha
    6. The rest aren’t by any means awful, but just don’t really stand out for me.

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I use to jam the hell out of s/t, Animosity was cool and how I learned about them, I came to appreciate Home later on... um, I remember checking out Alpha and it had some cool bits... huh, maybe I should check out those other records in this age of streaming music...

9. Coryd

Coryd SS.org Regular

1. Sevendust
    2. Animosity
    3. Home
    4. Seasons

I was a HUGE sevendust fan, but really after Seasons...nothing else was memorable to me. I hear a song and think...meh...
    Idk, i still love watching Sevendust as they put on a great show, but something is just missing now. Whatever magic or drive they had for these 1st four albums to me is gone.

10. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    7D are way more talented than many of their peers Lajon is a unique singer and when paired with Clint I'm reminded of how Layne and Jerry used to work in AiC but post 2004 their albums have been solid yet predictable yes there's a few great tracks on each one but when a band puts out a ten track album every other year and half of it's filler something is wrong.
    IMO whats hampered the band is they can't afford to get a better producer to help them diversify their sound cut the fat and perhaps bring back elements they've lost for example the 1st album has some funky moments going on (Terminator!) but they've never really gone back to that.

Anyway gripe over here's my picks
    1) Home
    2) Animosity
    3) Sevendust
    4) Everything else

11. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment.

I got into them around Animosity and it was actually Morgan's playing that really got me into them, then after digging in a bit, I became a devout Clint fan. His tone on Animosity is RIDICULOUS and is the definitive MkIV tone, for me. Even above Petrucci's usage of them.

Seasons is actually my 2nd favorite, though it's not the heaviest. I just dig the tunes and it reminds me of a special point in my life. I've seen them 4-5x now and it's always a killer show. A few years back, I was trying to get my drinking under control and Clint actually helped me out big time via Twitter. Reaching out and checking up on me from time to time, it was more than most other people I saw daily did for me. A few years later, I wanted him to sign my JEM, so I went to the venue and parked my car next to their bus. After getting Clint's autograph, Lajon came out and shot the shit for a bit, asked if I was going to the show, which I wasn't, because I was BROKE. Lajon replied "What? Yes you ARE! How many tickets you need man?", then yelled to his TM to get me and +1 on the list. Went back later for the show and got in without a hitch.

I'm really hoping the new one has a slight different feel to it. They can use a bit more diversity in their music, something more than verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. They're all such outstanding musicians, I just want them to write a record for themselves for once instead of what they believe the fans want. We've already gotten record after record of that.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Jesus Christ, they have too many albums. I checked out after the fifth one. After Seasons and Next, it seemed like they'd done everything they were going to do.

Animosity
    Home
    Seasons
    S/T
    Next

None of them were bad, Seasons and especially Next just seemed to start getting into filler territory between the catchy choruses. Animosity and Home are really beastly albums though. Animosity is stronger, Home has a few kinda weak tracks (I'm not big on the Chino song for example). I heard a cover band do "Black" from the S/T a few weeks ago and despite myself, I got all hyped up. They had great riffing. It was simple, it had very little melody, but it was really distinctive and went perfectly with the vocals.

Looks like I should check out your #3 since I agree very much with your comments on the ones I've heard!

duffbeer33 likes this.
  13. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I’d say Time Travelers & Bonfires is probably their favorite of mine since Clint returned, even if it is only ~1/2 new material. Not sure if by “acoustic album” you were referring to that or Southside Double-Wide (also a great album).

Other than that my highlights would be similar to everyone else’s. I will say that Morgan was probably my favorite all around drummer up until Clint left, ever since then it feels like he’s been phoning it in.

EDIT: The problem with Animosity and especially Home is that I’m pretty sure they were products of TVT trying to shoehorn them into the “Nu Metal” market. This produced some excellent albums, but they’ve likely been truer to themselves since switching labels.

I even remember some interview where they talked about the record company wanting them to sound like The White Stripes (and their properly measured response with leaving TVT and putting out NEXT :lol:).

And yeah I’m a fan for life, even if they are “past their prime”. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  14. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

Home is probably one of the earliest incarnations of djent I've ever heard. Great album. Animosity was good too.

Everything else is terrible imho

15. chewpac

chewpac working up to 7...

Some harsh critiques in this thread. First time I heard Denial and Reconnect, I was hooked, man. And then Animosity....done. Been a fan since.

I’ll agree that animosity and home are tops, with seasons a close third, for me. When Clint left I stuck with them, and Alpha was heavy and a little unique, but Next and Chapter VII were not the best. Since Clint came back I’ve been digging the records they’ve been putting out again.

Cold day memory has some great stuff, possibly some of the best melodies and hooks in their catalogue, and some great solos. And Karma.

Black out the sun was a very strong album that, imho, was hampered badly by its mix/mastering. I find that album pretty hard to listen to, which sucks, because there is great material there.

I thought Kill the Flaw was pretty solid, too. It’s not quite as memorable as the other two, but pretty consistently strong the whole way through.

They are a band I like to follow. Great dudes and hard working guys. Their music has been an influence on me for a long time.

duffbeer33 and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  16. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Man, relistening to the albums in order is nice. I can't get over how well Home stands up still. Just as crushing and beautiful and impressive as it was the first time I heard it.

What a fucking great album.

chewpac and duffbeer33 like this.
  17. Coryd

Coryd SS.org Regular

Attached Files:

18. duffbeer33

That's an awesome bit of information, thanks for sharing. Pretty cool that the Randall amp has the ND logo still on there, I remember when John always used to wear that Notre Dame jersey when they played live. So John used the Marshall and Randall, and Clint must have been using the MKIV (as someone commented earlier). The low end on that album is just so massive. Years ago Ultimate-Guitar had a good write-up on the recording of the album. John indicated that he and Clint both wrote music for the album during a 3-4 month period. He mentioned that they had written about 40 songs for the record and then cut it down to the final 13, which I think is the reason that the album is so rock solid.

On another note, the most impressive thing about Home is that the music was recorded LIVE in the studio. I don't think many bands do that anymore, and with the number of effects they used on that record, very solid musicianship is required to pull that off.

jwade likes this.
  19. Coryd

Coryd SS.org Regular

I'm going to try to reach out to John again and see but originally i asked him if they used Mesa at all and he just replied, Marshall and Randall. I gotta admit...I love the tones on Animosity! The mix of that album is great IMO!

I remember reading somewhere that Home was recorded on a farm. If i'm not mistaken it was Long View Farm Studios. I remember seeing 7D on tour for this album and they opened for Creed. 7D blew Creed out of the water!!! I remember just sitting with my jaw on the floor watching Morgan killing it on drums!!! He puts so much energy into his playing!!!

20. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I wonder if the Randall/Marshall was just what John used?

Animosity sounds like a celebration of a MkIV to me. That spongy, sagging, huge bottom end sound.....ohhhh I love it. Funnily enough, I don't get on with that sound for my own playing style as of yet.