How do YOU make playthroughs/covers?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by sojorel, Jun 1, 2012.

1. sojorel

sojorel Scourge

Talk about the best way to make a playthrough or a cover!

What programs do you use to record/ isolate tracks?
    How many takes do you do?
    What phase of the moon is best?

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Record guitars separately then make a video playing it and dub over that. If I'm just doing a cover I use the mic's camera and go at it, most trve way so people can see your fuckups.

3. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

I record the guitars over the original track and depending on the difficulty of the song, it make take quite a few takes and re-doing of certain parts.

Then I record the video and overdub it and sync it up. Playing the song on video can require a few takes as well, because though the audio part is perfect, I could mess up a note or two and have to retake the shot.

I record with Reaper, awesome free program. And full moon's are always best :p

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Reaper isn't free. :squint:

5. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

Sure it is. Download it, and then it says it will expire in x number of days, but it never does. Just keep clicking "still evaluating". :D

I have a legal copy too, downloaded straight from the Cockos website, not a torrent or anything.

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yes but you're supposed to pay for it. Its called trialware.

7. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

Why pay for it when they give you an unlimited trial and all the features are fully enabled? lol

8. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

To support a company that has the decency to provide such a high quality product for no initial charge. Its a respect thing, should check it out.

On topic, I rarely do them. But when I do I like to do a complete cover, record the entire song my way. :)

9. Randyrhoads123

Randyrhoads123 Got a 7

^^ Seriously? Did you guys buy WinZip as well? I bought a copy of Reaper, but if someone is just casually using it to record cover songs I see no reason to pay when they let you try for as long as you want.

10. sojorel

sojorel Scourge

Uhh..freeware vs. trialware vs. whatever isn't the topic...

:metal:

11. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Let me ask you this: How do you like going to work and not getting paid for it?

12. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

yeah i play the whole thing too; otherwise it's a bit guitar karaoke isn't it? process: learn the thing, record scratch guitar parts to map out the timing/tempo changes etc.
    then programme the drum part, then add in the instruments...
    never done a video. don't think the world is ready for my face yet, lol...

13. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

When I did On Impulse I did it as an entire studio recording from scratch, no original track. I then filmed myself playing along to that and muted the video.

If I was just doing a quick cover, I'd do a live take over the song with my guitar recorded direct (I only use plugins). Webcam audio if I was using an amp.

A layered cover with multiple guitars (splitscreen or not) I'd record in takes over the song, edited if necessary, mixed to an extent. Video overdubbed and muted.

Could say the middle option is the only 'legit' method...but I don't really mind. I guess I'd treat them more like 'music videos' a lot of the time.

14. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

I like how I post about using Reaper for free and within a few hours after posting (and not posting anything else) my rep goes down to -9.

Wow.

15. Rain

Rain Musical Sith Lord

I record the video with a camera and the audio through my Shure SM57 straight into Pro Tools with the drums in the background. After I get the guitars, I do the same with the bass except DI and use Line 6 POD Farm for bass amps.

Then I mix, master, and bounce to disk. Once I got an audio file of the performance, I take all the separate video clips and import them to Adobe Premiere Pro where I lay them out on the screen and sync them up.

Finally, I import the audio, sync it up, make any necessary cuts and add transitions, if needed, and then create a video file. It's sort of a long process but turns out pretty cool :)

16. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

It's worth the time and effort. I use Vegas Pro which is really efficient at video editing. Tomorrow I'm probably going to record 2-3 different angles to make my latest cover a bit more interesting.

17. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

No one likes a bragging cheapskate who exploits the generosity of others.

If you hadn't bragged about software theft no one here would have known or cared. I hope that explanation clears up any confusion. :D

@EtherealEntity
    Nice post. I agree that there seems little point in random guitar karaoke. There's enough random content on YouTube as it is. Full studio recreations of favourite tracks I understand, as some tracks aren't well recorded in the first place and it's a great way to practice recording techniques with music you enjoy.

18. bonuzround

bonuzround Scooped-mids-noob

Crescent Moon!

19. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

I have always done it live with an amp and the song playing at the same time since 09, all video camera audio.

20. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

Bro, how is it theft? Please explain.

I don't use the program enough to justify buying it. People accuse me without understand my intentions at all. I was hardly bragging.

And for some reason, you guys on here now accuse me of stealing music and torrenting it. Proof? I buy 90% of my music. God, some people...

brutalwizard likes this.