How do you guys polish your frets?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by JustinRhoads1980, Sep 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

I have just started polishing my frets and I know there are many ways to go about doing this.

I use a fret polish (Mothers mag and aluminum) with my fretguards and get a cloth and just wipe all the grit off the fret. I notice that this takes forever and I am wondering if there is a more efficient and effective method to doing this task?

I know that some will use steel weel, but too me that looks like a good cleanup job and I have seen that some people use a dremel with a buffing thing on it to polish the frets.

Thoughts?

2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I use polishing cloths from 2000 down to 8000 grit along with some Mirror Glaze.
    The closest I can get nickel to feel like stainless.

3. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

I do my leveling with 400 grit on a beam, then 800 by hand, then move to the micro mesh pads up to 12000 for the polishing. As long as I get any pits out with the 400-800 they are super shiny.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on the job.

For just touching up your frets every so often, some micro mesh is way to go. It's cheap, quick and the results are solid. I tend to just hit it with 4000 and 8000. I used to start at 2000 and work up into the 10000 range but I never found it made the end result much better and I like keeping it simple.

I don't mask the board on my own guitars, and haven't had a problem, even on stuff I've owned for decades. On other people's guitars I do, but that's just me being cautious.

It's worth looking into Gorgomyte. I don't use it because I have my own fretboard treatment regime, and think it's kind of expensive for as many guitars as I have, but people seem to love it. Results are solid.

Scordare likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Just paint them chrome.
    Job done.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  6. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Level with 400 grit, use fret rubbers up to 1000, then a buffing wheel with some metal rouge.

7. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

Gorgomyte is great stuff...I'm lazy and nothing is easier. I use it every other string change to keep the frets fresh. It is not that expensive..$10 for the cloth that you cut into about 20 squares, and you use 1 square per cleaning.

8. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine SS.org Regular

Once I'm done levelling I run through 3M paper from 800 to 2000 grit and then use my Dremel with buffing wheel. The included compound that came with the tool has worked very well for getting a mirror shine and hasn't run out yet, so I haven't investigated any other compounds.

9. ChAoZ

ChAoZ Build Addict

Cheap rotary tool and Meguiars metal polish 15591979_1013327015438516_1952248483_n.jpg

lewis and NateFalcon like this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I order big rolls of micromesh that last years, so I'm a little spoiled by that. :lol: