How do you go about finding the measures in odd riffs?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by domsch1988, Apr 21, 2017.

1. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

Ok, the Title might be a little confusing, but stick with me for a minute.

A while back, i wrote a melody on guitar. It came pretty naturally and hasn't left my head ever since. It's kind of renesainc'y stuff. When i'm home i'll be able to quickly record it.
    Problem is, i'm unable to find the measures. I wrote it as one continuos melody. I've gotten classical musical education on the clarinett and the saxophone. I'm pretty good with my music theory. My ability to explain everything in english might be lacking though as i'm german.

I'm attaching what i came up with as one measure. Since .tg and .gp5 isn't allowed, i'm ziping both up. The trailing pauses aren't part of the melody of course. After the last quarter Note the Melody starts over.

In trying to count this out i started altering the melody, but this is the initial version. I'd really like to get some input on how you'd count this. If you need any more information, let me know.
    Any Information or Input on how to attack this is greatly appreciated :yesway:

Attached Files:

2. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Well, I'm not trained or anything like that, but here's how I would do it. It's in the attachment. ;)

Attached Files:

3. domsch1988

Yeah, i thought about that as well. It just feels wierd to have an uneven count of measures for it. My inner OCD wants everything to be even :nuts: Everything thats not 4 or 8 measures long feels wrong :rolleyes:

It also doesn't reeealy work with how the notes are weightet. I'm unable to provide that with tuxguitar. I will upload a recording later which would make it much clearerb :yesway:
    Basically the accents are in spots that colide with the 4/4 time signature. This makes it incredibly hard to come up with drums that work with it. The underlying Chords arent that easy either. For me it feels like the first two (or three, not sure) quarter notes should be an upbeat (is that the correct word?? basically the notes before the first measure, that aren't a complete measure in them selfes). But this makes repeating it complicated :wallbash:

The more i think about it, the less i feel i'm able to find a solution for this. It makes my head spin :lol:

4. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

this is exactly why I write rhythm first and melody second, it just doesn't work for me, it ends up being more of a puzzle to solve and less about writing music so yeah I think I'll stick to writing rhythms first myself, haha. well at least I tried to come up with something, lol.

5. domsch1988

Man, i really appreciated your input :yesway:
    I'm a rythm guy myself. But when inspiration strucks, you have to go with it. Especially if you can't get it out of your head for days :wallbash:

6. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Thanks, no problem! I did that once too, I had a dream of some melody, and when I woke up I recorded it quickly with my voice, lol. It's a good idea for sure, because you never know what could come out of it until you get to mess around with it in Guitar Pro or some other composition tool, so yeah. I guess sometimes it just doesn't always end up being something that is easy to figure out, but at least you got it down, haha. :D :yesway:

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I know having bar sets of 4 is very natural but there's no need to stick to it, and you'd probably be surprised how many songs have uneven sets, even chart pop songs sometimes.
    I hear a very clear 4/4 until near the end. You need not worry about the accents you said wouldn't sync up. In general that is fine. However you might be right that it implies something more appropriate, I'd have to hear it, but this is very much 4/4 to me. There are a few ways you could do the ending. 5 bars 4/4 and then 3 bars 5/8 fits perfectly up to the rest, but I'm not sure if you intended the last E to be a resolution on a new bar. It sounds like it probably. Maybe 6 bars 4/4 and one bar 5/8 cuts that cleaner. Maybe you could even put the run in a bar of 13/8.
    Basically there are no rules and it's entirely up to you :)