How do you even..? (Kemper kinda NAD content)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Tuned, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

Hi all,

my pal SUDDENLY gave me his Kemper lunchbox to use. He may or may not be taking it back sometime (yeah, I know it isn't Christmas time, but that's what actually happened). I mean, I didn't even see it coming, I just stopped over for a pizza and then the next thing I know he's unplugging the funny thing and all that.
    Yeah, I know this is an annoying offtop beginning but please excuse me my little moment of unexpected happiness, LOL.

Anyway, I just drove back to my house and all there is is the lunchbox (no poweramp version) and a power cord, nothing more. No manual either. I will be using it for rehearsals and gigs, also for recording as soon as we get by (I have a new band that is 4 months old and all).
    I have a few questions below.
    - so there are 2 XLR and 2 jack output sockets, obviously for stereo output. What is the best way to connect the thing to:
    a) a guitar combo,
    b) a mixing console,
    c) MAudio Fast Track sound interface (1 mic XLR and 1 guitar jack input)?

- since I will be using it live I will probably need a MIDI footswitch. Since I don't know whether the owner will be taking it back, and I definitely can't afford buying it from him in the instant future, the footswitch has to be a usable but inexpensive one. The owner himself doesn't really need a footswitch since he only uses the Kemper for his home studio (and he's also the kind of guy who'd buy an original Kemper controller if he ever needed one too).
    I buy used stuff from the USA or Japan from time to time so that is also an option.

- I will definitely download the manual and watch guides but I'll be very grateful if you could drop some links to comprehensible explanations of How To (mostly making, stacking and using presets). Sorry to remind but I don't know how long these new relations will be, just a few nights' stand or the love of life, so I guess I don't need to get very deep into it so far.

Stay tuned!

D.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

For MIDI pedalboard go Behringer FCB1010, can't beat that, more so if used. I possible get a Roland FC200 which is built like a tank and is expandable in the expression pedal area (can take 6 more!). Besides those...

You'll need a power amp or a PA system. Better possibility than a combo. I must say I never tested any Kemper, but the modeling thing was my scene for a long time...

Tuned likes this.
  3. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Tuned likes this.
  4. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I myself just got a power amp and 2x12 Orange cab for my Toaster :)

A) For the Combo:
    Is this tube or SS?
    Easiest way would be to plug to got to the kemper's output settings (HOLD OUTPUT)
    then set the monitor out setting to "Master Mono" by turning the knob.
    From there plug a cable into that output in the back and connect the other end INTO
    the desired combo amp's effect loop. Be wary said amp HAS TO HAVE AN EFFECTS LOOP.
    I haven't tried personally with a ss amp but i am sure it can be done. I used to do this same
    setup with my roomate's Vox AC30 and no problems :)

So basically:
    Kemper Monitor Output->Combo Amp's effect loop

B) No experience here:/

C) You can do either stereo or mono
    For stereo just connect both of the regular kemper outputs (2x) into each of the inputs of your interface.
    Check again on the Output settings of the kemper and set them to Master Stereo (or mono).
    Be sure to set them to line and not instrument on the interface.

Tuned likes this.
  5. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input!

I will look for a Behringer 1010 I guess. I read there is a mod for Kemper developed by a Kemper OEM company for the 1010. There' also one for sale on an auction for like $50 now

I'd go with a power amp run stereo but I don't have one as of now.
    I do have a Marshall tube combo and an Orange tube mini head at the rehearsal place and also my Mesa Mark III combo at home. Not sure of the Orange, but both the Mashall and Mesa do have effects loops.

Excuse my dumbness, also English isn't my native language. Kemper has 4 output sockets: XLR right/left and regular jack right/left. Which one is to be used in mono mode?
    Also, the audio interface has 1 microphone XLR input and 1 instrument jack input. I am not sure but I'd suspect they aren't exactly the same, maybe resistance difference or something.

6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

mmm I don't know how you would run the power amp in stereo using the monitor output as there is no option in the kemper. The "Master Stereo" Setting only works for the normal output (which has 2 outputs, monitor has only 1). Unless you meant using the regular 2 outputs into 2 different cabs? If that is so, then its going to be much more complicated haha

For the moment try using the marshall or the mk III. Plug the output of the kemper into the effects loops and it should work. The "science" here is you are bypassing the preamp of the combo amps and just using the Power Amp section of it to power the speakers. From my experience, I prefer using tube power amps over SS as it adds more organic and oomph feel to the tone. SS is good but there's something about tubes...

Those pairs of outputs-2 xlr and 2 regulars-are the same, and I believe you cannot use 4 at once but only 2 or 1 (I might be wrong since I have not used all 4 at once). But regardless of that, for the mono I believe you could use any of those as long as the Main output of the kemper is set to "Master Mono". I could check later today and let you know if you want.

What interface are you using?
    Check to see if theres a switch for those inputs, unless they are fixed and have a respective intrument and line label on them...

Tuned likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Nice story. Free gear is great, especially so if it's great gear, and even if it's just on loan. :)

My question is: What is your friend using now? lol

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

If you're trying to use stereo outs then just run the Kemper main outs into an FRFR or PA system. Keep the Cab section on. If you want to use a guitar cab and power amp, it will be mono out of the Monitor Out. You can either use one channel of a stereo power amp or bridge it for mono output. This allows you to turn off the Cab section (soft button "Monitor Cab Off" in Output Menu) while retaining the ability to leave the Cab section on for FOH if needed.
    If you try to run a stereo setup to a guitar cab, you will be running a simulated speaker through an actual speaker. The only way to get around this is with a A/B Y box. Monitor out>A/B Y>power amp ch1 & 2> Cab 1 & Cab 2

Tuned likes this.
  9. Tuned

Tuned SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot, again!

yeah, I'd love any info ou don't mind sharing.
    As I said above, the interface is the M-Audio Fast Track (not the Pro neither the Ultra). Its front looks like this:
    http://prosound.ixbt.com/hardsoft/interfaces/fast-track-b.jpg
    in case it is not visible, the controls on top go, L to R: Mic gain, Guitar gain, Output.
    Here's the back:
    http://prosound.ixbt.com/hardsoft/interfaces/fast-track-back-b.jpg
    As you see, it is as simple as that

My friend isn't playing guitar much, he records music for jingles, ads, videos etc. He says the Kemper is not very well at that, takes to many operations to revamp all the track channels. Here's what he does, FYI:
    https://audiojungle.net/user/alec_koff

Deadpool_25 likes this.