How do I route a noise gate through my Pod HD Pro X?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by edfig1989, Sep 9, 2017.

1. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

Hello, I have been fondling with my amp way too much and need help. I have a 5150 3, Vader 4x12 with eminence legends cab, JFL7 Schecter, Line 6 Pod HD Pro X and a ISP prorack noisegate. I want to be able to use the ISP noise gate instead of the Line 6 gates, but I also want to somehow run the Line 6 effects only before and after its FX loop block. I tried connectingthe line 6 through the gate and returning to amp loop and 4 cable method as well. Make note that I want to use the EVH preamp along with an OD in front and not the Line 6 amp modeling with the ISP decimator in both preamp and power section of the EVH. I literally got a headache trying to figure this one out. Please help this fragile human.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'd have the ISP as the first thing after the guitar, and the first thing after coming out of the amps effects loop. Following the ISP, I'd do the 4 cable method with the Pod HD.

Guitar -> ISP ch 1 input -> ISP ch 1 output -> Pod HD input -> Pod send -> 5150 3 input -> amp FX loop send -> ISP ch 2 input -> ISP ch 2 output -> Pod return -> Pod left 1/4 output -> amp FX loop return. Hook up your cab to the amp, obviously.

Hooked up like this, it should go guitar -> ISP ch 1 -> Pod HD 4 cable method -> amp -> cab.

Also, here is some help from a Line6 forum user regarding levels.

"Yes it works but like you've found the setup is not intuitive. The main issue is that the FX send has a 6db drop in level so the input of your amp gets a weaker signal than it would straight in. The fix is pretty easy though. Here are two of the most straightforward options:
    1. Run the FX Loop block after the mixer block. Turn up the gain on each path 3db.
    2. Run a studio EQ just before the mixer block. Keep the EQ flat but raise the gain 6db.
    In both cases keep the FX loop send switch set to stomp and output level switch to line.

Hope that helps!"

I hope that helps as well. I'd probably go with option 1 above. Lemme know how it works out.

3. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

@Spaced Out Ace it totally worked!! thanks man, you are the routing whiz. I noticed the Line 6 has loads of floor noise so I had to put a hard gate in the fx block, pretty good results overall. Now my od pedal would have to be in the line 6 fx loop in order for it to go directly in front of my amps insert correct?

4. Spaced Out Ace

Depends on whether you want some effects like chorus, flange, and phase pre distortion, or not like I have in my signature. If so, I'd put it between the send of the pod and the front end input of the amp.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Like so.

6. edfig1989

edfig1989 SS.org Regular

HOLY MOLE!!!! What a difference! Thanks!

Spaced Out Ace likes this.