How do I know if a Nazgul/Sentient 6 string set has a trembucker spaced bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Matt08642, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

So I'm looking at a Nazgul/Sentient set, and when I look on reverb I see a lot of sets, but none of them really specify if the bridge is trembucker spaced. Even SDs site doesn't really specify this. Are all the preboxed sets normal spaced or trembucker?

Examples:

https://reverb.com/item/15661892-seymour-duncan-nazgul-sentient-pickup-set-black-cover

https://reverb.com/item/790745-seymour-duncan-nazgul-bridge-sentient-neck-humbucker-pickup-set-black

https://reverb.com/item/7096683-seymour-duncan-nazgul-sentient-set-black

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It doesn't matter. The <2mm difference isn't going to be detectable.

That said, they do sell a Trembucker version of Nazgul (which is the only pickup that is differently spaced), so you should probably ask the seller. Usually they say on the bottom of the pickup.

aesthyrian likes this.
  3. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I know it doesn't affect the sound, but if I can find a set with a trembucker bridge, I'd rather go for that. Just messaged about 10 sellers on Reverb lol

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

You can always order directly from SD, too. But the sellers on Reverb should know (especially if in original packaging) since it is listed right on there. They can measure, too- a Trembucker's spacing is 52.6mm.

5. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Being in Canada makes it more difficult. SD does not ship here, and most Reverb sellers are in the US, which makes it hard eating an import tax on possibly the wrong pickup.

The one reply I got so far from a reverb seller was "it's humbucker", so not feeling too confident there :lol:

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

As far as I know, all of the Nazgul-Sentient sets are Humbucker spaced. If you want a trembucker spaced Nazgul then you need to order it as a separate entity. I ordered a Pegasus Trembucker through Long & McQuade for my Ibanez RGA121H a number of years ago. Obviously its a little more expensive going that route, but you may not save THAT much money buying from the USA if customs charges you fees. Customs charged me fees ($34 CDN I think it was) when I ordered a set of Dimarzio Titans (w/ black covers), ugh.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

unless you're super anal retentive about the aesthetics of an f-spaced/trembucker's poles vs a non f-spaced one, I'd say save yourself the trouble and buy a regular nazgul.

aesthyrian likes this.
  8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Ended up just doing this, seems easier. Searched for 4 days for a reasonably priced trembucker nazgul, couldn't find a single thing in Canada.

So, next question has to do with wiring. I'm trying to actually understand the wiring on the 3 way switch, and this is what SD shows on their site: https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2H_3B_1V_1T.pdf

Based on this, I compared it to how I would be soldering my CRL 3 way switch, and these are the combos that come up (Top is Bridge position, middle is both, bottom is Neck position):

[​IMG]

Based on this, in the middle position the bridge and neck are both directly connected to... nothing? I think I must be tired or something but how does this even work?

9. KnightBrolaire

read this:
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/06/18/blade-switch-basics/?v=7516fd43adaa

10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

So I had read that already which prompted me to question the SD diagram, since 2 humbucker (assuming no coil splitting) is basically just telecaster wiring, which is covered on that page and confirms what I thought

So to my original point, how would the SD diagram even work?

11. KnightBrolaire

since you read the article you should have seen the part about how certain lugs are jumpered, which basically makes the middle position engage both positions.

12. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Yep I understand this, and I get that on the site you linked they explain needing a jumper which was my original conclusion looking at the physical switch

On the SD diagram they show a position in the middle that from what I can tell would leave the guitar with no output (the middle screenshot I posted)

I feel like SD wouldn’t mess up the most basic possible diagram, and knowing I barely know anything about wiring, I’m asking how the SD diagram would work in the middle position considering their own diagram only has one jumper, and all it does is allow positions 1 and 3 to be linked to the master out from what I understand

13. KnightBrolaire

nope, the whole point of the jumper is that it connects the a lugs to the b lugs, which enables both pickups to be used in the middle position. the connection to the volume pot has nothing to do with that.

14. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Not concerned with the volume out, I know how to wire that to a 0 lug, but so you see what I mean about the middle position on the SD diagram?

The middle position is ONLY in contact with the 0 lugs, while the lugs the bridge hot and neck hot are connected to are attached to nothing. I’m wondering how this works with the switch since they’re connected to nothing, how will signal pass from the pickups to the volume out 0 lug?

15. KnightBrolaire

From the article I posted: "As we mentioned earlier, the sole purpose of the switch is a connector. Depending on what type of switch you have, all that’s going on mechanically is connecting one of Lugs 1-3 to Lug 0.
    For example, if you had a neck pickup wired up to A3, when you select the Neck position on your switch, A3 is being connected to A0. If you wired A0 to your volume pot for an output, that’s how the switch would connect your Neck pickup through the output."
    The 0 lugs are always connected and jumpered, like I said, and since the volume is connected to the jumpered position it's always engaged, regardless of switch position. Hence why it's called a master volume. Independent volumes would only be activated when you switch the wiper to engage it. The hot signals are engaged only in certain positions (in this case, they're soldered to a1 and b1 respectively). By jumpering a0/b0 to a2/b2 that engages both signals during the middle position (ie both the neck and bridge pickup work in the middle of the switch). That's what the duncan diagram shows.

16. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Yep, I know this, but if you look at the diagram I posted, in the middle position there is absolutely nothing touching or connecting the lugs the hot wires from the pickups to the jumpered output. The wiper does not touch the lug that either pickup is connected to, which is what I’m curious about.

17. KnightBrolaire

ok so in the bridge position a1, a0,b0 and a2 are engaged, with the neck it's b1, a0,b0 and b2. for the middle position a2 a3, a0, b0,b2,b3 are engaged. basically because of the way the wiper in the switch works, the hot wires don't need to be directly connected to other lugs in that diagram.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  18. Fortin Worship

Fortin Worship SS.org Regular

I think Duncan trembuckers always have 3 holes on the legs instead 1.

19. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I have a nazgul trembucker at home. Got it in a set with a sentient. However they were in individual factory boxes so the seller probably made the "set".

The only spacing problem I've ever had was with the little Duncan minibuckers that fit a single coil slot. The pole pieces are so small that there is a definite loss in volume if the string isn't directly over them.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pole pieces don't control volume/output, but help "tune" the pickup's coils.

Think of it more as adjusting a tone or EQ knob vs. a volume knob.