How did -you- come up with your band name?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by groovemasta, Feb 11, 2012.

1. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

Interested to see how various people came up with their band names and the reasons or inspirations for such. :)
    I'm having troubles thinking of one personally.

2. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

... in a music theory part of the forum? Don't think many people will respond to you on this part of the forum dude.

3. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

Rock paper wizards...

Need I explain?

4. JosephAOI

JosephAOI Thinks Jazz = Metal

I enjoy poetry occasionally and when I do, William Blake is one of the poets I like. /mostinterestingmanintheworld

But yeah, my band name is just the title of an awesome William Blake poem:

Auguries Of Innocence

5. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

6. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

not sure how to move it to off-topic :lol:

7. Dayn

Dayn silly person

My parents named me.

8. bradthelegend

bradthelegend ESP Fanboy

We all sat around eating french fries at McDonald's thinking up names and then searching on Facebook to see if someone else had already used it. :lol:

9. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

From an awsome song by The Haunted.

10. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I just thought it up, then searched it.
    It was a power metal album name.

I didn't care and used it anyway

11. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I believe i've decided to go with "From The Mouths of Heretics" as my "band" name (band as in me and a drum program)
    Needed something to fit the sound/ theme/ lyrical content. Basically I play dissonant, sinister sounding progressive, groove oriented deathcore in the vein of old school BoO and Carnifex, with some influence from The Acacia Strain and Vildhjarta and a dose of post rock in the style of Explosions in The Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Lyrical content usually has themes of misogyny, misanthropy, and anti organized religion. The anti organized relion aspect led me to go wtih something with Heretic in it and the rest just kind of fell into place. Too me kind of encompasses my sound so it works.
    My old band was called Beneath The Necropolis. That came about after my manager @ work suggested The Devil's Root Cellar (said in an exagerated southern accent). The devils "root cellar" aka basement would be underneath hell (city of the dead aka necropolis), so there for "Beneath The Necropolis".

12. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

We were discussing with the other band members for more than a month and couldn't come up with something that wasn't lame. Then we decided to check song names from bands we liked to get some inspiration. We liked the name Monochromatic Stains from Dark Tranquility but we didn't exactly wanted to just blatantly use it. Our singer proposed to use Semic (from semiology which he was working with then) and aside from that we liked the meaning (stains of meaning).

Unfortunately most english speakers confuse the root of semic (people have dirty minds) and we end up some times with stupid comments or people thinking we are a comedy band. Can't always get what you want hehehe!!

13. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

LOL thats not bad actually. I'm jamming with a group of guys and "Crash n' Burn" :hbang: has been stuck in my head. I just thought of the word "Crash" and how to use it, and that's what popped in my head - so there you go.

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I played one of my 80's EVH sounding songs for someone awhile back and they told me it sounded like a pure trash classic... so, Pure Trash Classic it is.

15. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Well, technically I'm not a "band", but:

In the mid 90's, I used to use a chat program called IRC. I used the handle Sin, after my favorite Nine Inch Nails song. Fast forward to when I started doing electronic music, and I discovered there was already a DJ using that name. My style was/is mostly about high energy and the mashing-together of sub-genres, so the next natural evolution of the word that came to mind was Synergy. I took away the E so I could be one of the cool kids who purposely misspells things, and that was pretty much that. :yesway:

Had I known that within 2 years it was going to become corporate America's favorite buzz-word, I would have chosen something else, but I'd already begun to establish myself by then. :lol:

16. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Ancient Chinese Secret.

17. StratoJazz

StratoJazz SS.org Regular

The first band i was in was Bravado. We were really into the band Rush at the time. So we strived to make our music like they did.

The second band was called Lucy Lovehandle's Breakfast Bonanza which was latter changed to the Tall Tale Nuggets. These names were chosen because of our interest in bands like Umphrey's Mcgee, Moe, The String Cheese Incident, Phish, and the whole jam band culture. Not to mention the influence of other substances(such as weed).

(Not to be a troll(or that guy that posts his music) or anything but if you want hear what that sounded like, you can hear it in some of my music below.)

Now i play alot of Jazz music and dabble in EDM(Electronic Dance Music). My jazz group is called the Hanna/Coovert group, and my Dj name is StratoJazz. Those are alittle less creative than the others but oh well.

Props to ancient chinese secret man!

18. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

I was considering alot of different names for awhile...and nothing was really sounding good, or the name(s) was (or were) already taken by some other band or artist.

Then one day "Wings of Obsidian" literally just popped into my head out of nowhere. It was so weird, yet so inspirational that I just stuck with the name.

19. goatLuke

goatLuke ss.org Noob

we couldnt come up with a name for quite some time. Then 1 night after band practice at my house my neighbor decided to tie his goat up to an old truck frame. We continued drinking and carrying on outside in the driveway and about every minute that fing goat would go off making all sorts of noise. After a while I said "im gonna go punch the shit out of that goat". Our singer looks at me like he saw a ghost and says "Goatfight that it." And that was it. www.reverbnation.com/goatfight

20. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

I was inspired by a card from Magic the Gathering. I know... I'm a nerd.