How can I get an Opeth tone with my gear?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Darkanus, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Darkanus

Darkanus SS.org Regular

For some time I try to immitate their Blackwater Park/Ghost Reveries albums heavy sound but with no success.
    I like how it stays so clear, natural and articulate. It seems that there isn't much gain involved, while it still sounds really heavy and aggressive.
    I have a Carvin V3M equipped with a full JJ tubes set, both EL84's and 12AX7's, so it sounds much tighter than the stock one. The cab is a MESA 2X12 Rectifier, GT10 for effects and EQ [I plan to trade it for a POD HD500], and the guitars I use are a CORT G290 and a Cort X6 [BKP Aftermath in the bridge....yeah, I know what your'e thinking...].

Can you please give me some directions? Amp's EQ/GT10 settings/etc...
    Maybe I need to get a boost pedal [TS808?] for extra tightness/clarity or the GT10 will do?
    Any piece of advice will help. Thanks in advance! [=

2. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

More mids, less gain and pick harder instead of adding extra gain to distort the sound :)
    I dont know how the Carvin sounds, but try to imitate the Marshall/Laney-ish sound without the multi-fx in front.. Really clear distortion at lower gain settings.
    Adding a TS in front might help too, when I play opeth with my JVM i always turn down the gain knob and pick a little bit harder.. Sometimes boost the signal with a TS for more clarity, less mudd and still tight bottom :)

3. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

It's hard to immitate the sounds on albums, there is so much going on with any mix (got to admit that guy gets amazing clean tones, especially on new stuff... IMO the more recent albums have overall better sound quality). I can assure you, Opeth doesn't even sound like Opeth!

Are you way off base from the tone you want to get, or almost there?

4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

^ Did you even listen to the last album? It sounds like they used gp5's distorted midi sound.

thedarkoceans likes this.
  5. thedarkoceans

thedarkoceans Banned

:rofl: :rofl:

6. Underworld

Underworld SS.org Regular

Ahah! This, or they forgot to check the guitar's controls and played the whole album on the neck pickup with the tone knob at zero :lol:

7. Lycanthropy1313

Lycanthropy1313 SS.org Regular

The rhythm guitars for Heritage was all Stratocaster (SSS) and JCM-800 2210...with some PRS and AxeFX here and there. It was supposed to sound thinner. Mike said he was tired of hearing that generic thick huge Rectumfrier guitar sound.

8. Double A

Double A Subhuman

And Lars was also sick of hearing clear and pounding drums when Metallica recorded St. Anger...

9. Lycanthropy1313

Lycanthropy1313 SS.org Regular

Hahaha St. Anger...Metal's funniest joke.

10. Quax

Quax SS.org Regular

You're not seriously comparing St. Anger to Heritage?
    As for Opeth, try to go for a Rectifier-like Sound and tweak it a bit. That should probably do it.

11. Droman

Droman SS.org Regular

:lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:

12. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Of course not, I am just saying that the guitar tone on Heritage, no matter how vintage they were going for, was about as good of an idea than was the drum sound on St. Anger.

13. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

If what I've read before is correct, Opeth have used a Boss GT-10 through Laney amps on those albums. So if you want to nail the tone, your GT-10 is ideal. You won't be needing an HD500.

14. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Their tone uses very little gain in order to keep those big chords clear.

15. asher

asher So Did We

According to their own website, Blackwater Park was a Laney VH100L, an "ENGL 100W" and a Peavey 5150.

16. Darkanus

Darkanus SS.org Regular

I know they use the GT10 mosty live, not sure about studio use. Their live sound is amazing, and Mikael said they are using the GT10's distortion rather than the amp's. I find it hard to believe this. I can't get a descent clear, distorted sound from my unit, no matter how i tweak it. I mainly use it's effects, looper and usb for recording. A pod has all this+higher quality amp sim's and much more..And I want to use it for modern high gain deathcore stuff aswell...

Heritage lacks that signature Opeth heavy tone, but I think it still sounds pretty great in its way. Mikael wanted to do something different...St Anger isn't a comparison :nuts:

Generally, I know how a Rectifier/Marshall sounds like, but the problem for me is to understand their character and nuances to a level that I can utilize my hearing to immitate these sounds. My ears aren't developed enough yet.
    So if possible, specific directions like EQ/amp setting/effects/etc will be more helpful.

Maybe my demands are too high, but it seems for now that i'm far off my goal. \=

:lol:

17. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

When I saw them here I hated his tone.

18. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

St Anger was a bad attempt at a metal record.

Heritage is a good attempt at a prog-rock record by a metal band.

I don't think it is even worthwhile to compare the guitar tones on Heritage to other Opeth recordings. For starters Heritage was recorded mostly on strats at standard tuning which already puts it far from their previous work. I have had Heritage on high rotation for a few weeks and I'm really enjoying it.

FWIW I agree with the less gain, more mids, harder picking thing. I also think that it's always really hard trying to cop album sounds with a single guitar and amp setup, when in all likelihood what you hear on the record is a mixture of several different guitars/amps/takes.

19. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

No.. Thats Lulu.. :lol:

20. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Some things are so bad that they become good. Lulu is not one of those things. I think it went all the way full circle and became bad squared. :scratch: