How about a no bump option?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by BIG ND SWEATY, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

on a couple other forums i go on they have an option to not bump the thread if you have nothing useful to add to the discussion, this could stop the bumping of incredibly old threads. just a suggestion:agreed:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Usually, those who do necrobump don't realize what they're doing and wouldn't know how or why to use such a function. Kinda like a "no car accident" button. It's an accident, it happens.

Necrobumping isn't too big of an issue when it happens every once in awhile. It is an issue when someone signs up, searches for something random and then comments on twenty or thirty threads from five years ago with the ":hbang:" smiley. It's happened.

The forum used to automatically create a message warning folks that the thread was of a certain age without a recent post, but that didn't really stop too many folks either.

Thanks for the suggestion though, maybe Alex will see it and do something.....though I wouldn't be too overly optimistic.

3. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I can definitely vouch for the moderator's explanation that it is usually an accident. Another popular guitar site hates me for that reason. I signed up, had no idea what necrobumping was and proceeded to put in my 2 cents on posts all over the place, thinking i was doing the world a favor. Apparently not. Then i go to make a few posts about my new amp and they went bonkers. That's when i found SS.org (Don't worry I've learned my lessons)

I've also suggested just locking old threads, but then if someone has something really useful to add they can't.

4. Velixo

Velixo SS.org Regular

(Afraid of necrobumping this thread:)ugh:), but anyways; ) How about specifically changing the message to say that replying an old thread just to post a smiley or say "I like this" is annoying and unnecessary?