House passes bill to dismantle ISP privacy

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bostjan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

2. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

The next Congress and next president (almost independent of party) are probably going to be dedicating multiple years to undoing what the current administration got done in three months.

3. bostjan

So, this might sound looney, but it's a serious question...

If I am correct in my assessment that there is generally more opposition than support for legislation for stuff like this, what should we be doing? Protesting has obviously done .... all to change a damn thing. Writing my congressmen will do nothing, since none of my congressmen support stupid .... like this anyway, but maybe it's worth writing anyway?

Or...maybe this isn't really a big deal...I mean, there are certainly worse things going on right now.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, our best hope here is Trump might decide to veto it - I literally have no clue how much support he has for this, but he ran on a populist agenda, so public outrage, especially from conservative Trump voters, might move the needle here.

Naturally, I'm not holding my breath.

5. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Protesting seldom, if ever, causes direct action legislatively. The goal of that and calling/writing your Congressmen isn't because they say "oh yeah, good point, I'm going to vote differently". Both of them keep the issues in the headline and infront of our representatives enough that they know what side their constituents, and how they need to vote for the sake of job security.

A good example of this is the AHCA. Early projections said they were within 4 votes of passing that bill, but rowdy town halls, protests and likely direct calls to congressmen to let them know what the public thought of it. As a result, that number dipped from a 4 member gap to more like a 36-50 member gap, and the number became insurmountable enough that it failed. These guys vote based on job security first and their corrupt interests are a close second.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The CBO really moved the needle, too - it may have been simple confirmation bias, where after rowdy town halls protesting the attempt to repeal the ACA, when the CBO came out and said "yeah, this plan will significantly reduce coverage," it agreed with what they were hearing from their constituents, and one point of data is an outlier, but two is a trend.

7. bostjan

Did you read the text of the resolution? It's pretty wide. It basically says that nothing in the FCC's 73 page handbook of internet regulations need apply anymore...in no uncertain terms.

I'm pretty sure that the White House already stated their support for the bill. Not that it would mean much one way or the other with these guys in charge.

Things like net neutrality had very wide popular support, from what I could tell. To me, this is a pretty high flying middle finger to the little guy.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

We'll hopefully be able to flock to ISPs that support net neutrality, like Google, who may expand their investments in this sector if people find this a sufficient motivation to move away from ....tier ones. Honestly I'd love to see ISPs like time warner and comcast put out of business when the consumer is finally given a choice to abandon them.

9. bostjan

Things always seem to work a little differently in the USA than in Europe/UK. I would be quite surprised if anything changes at all here, in terms of ISP availability.

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

<-- American computer scientist