Horror fans?

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by distressed_romeo, May 25, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Anyone here seriously into horror books?

Some of my favourites are...

Anne Rice: Pretty much anything, but especially IWTV, Memnoch the Devil, Vittorio, and the criminally underrated Violin

Poppy Z Brite: Lost Souls (the best vampire book ever!) and Drawing Blood (her short fiction rocks too!)

Dan Simmons: Song of Kali (probably the most horrible ending ever conceived).

Clive Barker: Absolutely everything, but especially Weaveworld and the Books of Blood. Getting very impatient waiting for the Scarlet Gospels to come out.

Storm Constantine: The Grigori trilogy (if you're into the occult and ancient cultures, then you'll love this. Metal Ken, I imagine it would be right up your alley;)) and Thin Air (best rock star story ever!).

Thomas Ligotti: Mentioned him in another thread...seriously creepy.

HP Lovecraft: Shouldn't need much explanation. Panders to my lifelong view of the universe.

MR James: Kind of old-fashioned now, but some of his stories really freaked me out the first time I read them.

2. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

The only horror books I ever read were Stephen King books, The Graveyard Shift was my favorite, I like Stephen King and he lives in Bangor, Maine, about 2-3 hours north from me. :yesway:

3. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I am a huge horror fan. I have seen literally hundreds of horror movies.

As for horror books, I've read about 5 Anne Rice books.

My favorite writer hands down would be H.P. Lovecraft. I've read every single story he's ever written (haven't read all of his poetry, though). My favorite Lovecraft stories would be: 1. Dreams In The Witch House, 2. At The Mountains Of Madness, 3. The Strange Case Of Charles Dexter Ward, 4. The Dunwich Horror, 5. Call Of Cthulhu, 6. The Rats In The Walls, 7. The Shadow Out Of Time, 8. The Whisperer In Darkness, 9. The Thing On The Doorstep, 10. Pickman's Model.

I mean, those are roughly my top 10, I might have them slightly out of order or missing a few stories I couldn't think of.

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Astrophobos for the win \m/

5. Naren

Somehow "for the win" nonsense doesn't sound right when combined with Lovecraft...

I have read quite a bit of Lovecraft's poetry, just not all of it, like I have with his stories.

6. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

i guess thats just my way of saying 'it owns' lol

7. distressed_romeo

+1 for all of those. Add 'The Dream Quest for Unknown Kadath'...I like that one because it has kitties in it!

8. Naren

I like that one for different reasons, but it actually is pretty low on my list of Lovecraft stories because it wanders aimlessly from section to section, has no real focus (if we're honest with ourselves), has no real horrific elements (and even takes away from some really creepy passages in other stories), and stuff. Don't get me wrong. I liked it. I'm one of Lovecraft's biggest fans. It's just that Dream Quest is not one of my favorite HPL stories.

There are cats in a lot of Lovecraft's stories. Granted, "The Dream Quest For Unknown Kadath" and "The Cats of Ulthar" are the only 2 stories I can think of where cats are given human-like intelligence. "Cats" are one of the re-occuring themes in Lovecraft stories.

9. distressed_romeo

I agree completely...I just think the scenes with the cats are cute. Very immature I know.

In terms of pure horror 'The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward' and 'Pickman's Model' must be pretty close to the top...

10. Naren

The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward blew me away when I first read it. I love how he would just put complete "out there" things in the story that you just don't see coming. Charles Dexter Ward is a good example of that.