Horrible/dumb music salesmen stories thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by XeoFLCL, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Black43

Black43 Hated Ibanezes once

At my local store, they're usually pretty helpful, pretty knowledgeable, but there's this one guy who... Well let this speak for itself.
    I came in one day, just browsing, when I saw they had an Ibby S570 (low-mid range S series). I was intrigued (as the shop usually doesn't sell Ibanez gear) and I asked the guy whether I could have a go on it, but he told me it was a "strange shaped" guitar and "wouldn't i like to play something more familiar" before guiding me towards a rack of new Pacificas.
    "Yamaha are one of the better guitar brands, much better than Ibanez or Schecter, they have better tuning stability and thick quilted maple tops!" he exclaims with glee as I plug one in, with the intention of drowning out the fvcker's false information with a wall of cheap Yamaha distortion.
    "Uhh... Don't the Pacificas only have veneer tops?" I asked. Brace yourself for what comes next.
    "What's a veneer?" :nuts:
    At this point, I thanked for his time, put the guitar down and actually broke down into tears. Of laughter, I mean.
    And to this day, I can never look at a Pacifica the same way again.

AxeHappy likes this.
  2. jimturmoy

jimturmoy SS.org Regular

I went to my local Guitar Center a week ago and asked them if they had any guitars fit for Haiku playing. They told me I needed bass strings for this. Everyone knows Haiku playing requires banjo strings. What a dumbass. The experience inspired me:

Guitar Center dude
    You know nothing 'bout this crap
    Bad moron poop poop

3. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

The owner of the music store I go to is definitely not a dumb music salesman in the sense of most of the stories in this thread, he definitely knows his gear, does amazing repair work and setups, and is all-around a fairly good guy...but for the love of all things holy, do NOT mention Musician's Friend, or any online music store to this dude, you will hear a half-hour tirade of how he thinks they sell nothing but factory 2nds, and don't tell their customers about it. :wallbash:

4. Syphon

Syphon SS.org Regular

It's easy for a sales man to sound like an idiot in the music industry.

5. jbab

jbab SS.org Regular

Aaaaah good old Steve's haha. I got fed up with them, so I go to Long & McQuade or Archambault instead (only if I can't find what I want online). I took two different guitars to their tech for hardware issues, and both came back unchanged. And I waited for at least two weeks each time, because they "don't call, you have to check by yourself" (that's actually what they told me when I called). They didn't charge me though, so at least there's that.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm in the same boat. I live a few blocks away from an Archambault so I go there for basic things, but I work near L&M, so I go there for any major purchases- but I've gone often enough that I know who to talk to, who to avoid, and some I recognize from local bands.

Steve's was alright at first when I tried my first couple of pickup changes on my own and did a brutal job of soldering- they fixed it without charge, which is great, but they're so condescending about it at the same time. Instead of being supportive about my trying to learn how to do my own work, they would act like it was an insult to work on my cheap instrument, and say things like "we'll have to fix it when you screw up the next one".

A long time ago, my uncle insisted on asking them to fix an amp he had, so he brought it to them and dropped it off, then heard nothing for a while. He kept calling to ask what was going on and there was always an excuse. Then he went into the store one day for something unrelated, and they were using his amp to just jam behind the counter when they weren't busy. They weren't "testing it", it wasn't fixed. Ended up getting it repaired somewhere else.

AxeHappy likes this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Reading some of the responses in here, is anyone really surprised that the staff at chain music stores doesn't really care about being more informed/helpful?

Half the posts here, and in most threads like this; they pop up about once a month, are pretty much folks saying they didn't really intend on purchasing anything and more or less knew what they wanted and didn't care for any sales steering.

:shrug: :2c:

8. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Pretty much that ^^. There's really only 2 main types of customers at guitar shops, with a rare third... the guys who already know what they want and don't need any help (ie the same guys that sit around talking all day about it on the internet... losers /eyeroll) and the guys who don't know anything and will believe whatever the salesman tells them. You can't win over the first, so why bother getting things right for the second? What's the advantage? That rare third, the customer that knows a little but still needs help, isn't common enough to make a big difference.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't know about surprised, but I don't think what you described would disqualify anyone from deserving to deal with informed sales people. I'm just as guilty as anyone else of walking into music stores, window shopping, playing a bunch of random guitars, and leaving without making a purchase- but at the same time, they don't know that I'm not going to suddenly decide to spend thousands of dollars in their store because I was maybe on the fence about something but they convinced me by being well informed and helpful- and it does happen.

10. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Guitarget (Guitar Center) in Denver.

Me: "Hey, do you guys have any 7 or 8 strings?"

Sales guy: "Um, why?"

And off to Drum City-Guitar Land I went.

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I actually wouldn't be surprised at all. Well, at least not with MF, but I wouldn't go into a 30 minute tirade about it. :lol:

Maybe he forgot how to say "Yes/no"? :lol:

12. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

See, your mistake was not going to DCGL first.

13. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

Had no idea it was in Denver till I texted a friend there about where I should go.

14. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

My worst experience was in a Toronto Long & McQuade. I walked in with the prospect of trying/buying a deluxe stratocaster they had. So i went into the store, my first time going to this store since I was visiting family, and asked the salesperson if I could try it. He just smiled to his coworkers letting them know he was about to make the joke of the century and answered me "these guitars are not meant to be played by french people". For the record, I am from Quebec which is a french native province in canada. I did not know sales persons could sell guitars only to who they want to following their racist ideology. :shrug:

On a funny side note, the person I was with when this happened knew the CEO, Mr. Long, on a business level and they had a meeting the week after, but he let it go not to make unnecessary drama :lol:

15. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I can get over the fact that GC hires idiots since it's easier than you'd think to take advantage of their lack of anything relating to sense. I usually don't buy pedals new but had to pick up a Flashback X4 before a show so I strolled into GC, played one for a bit, let the guy get nice and wet that he was about to make a sale, and then I said "I got that email for the deal but forgot to bring it, but I don't need to have it on me for the deal right?" He stood their for a minute and proceeded with, "oh yea, the 20% off! I'll have the manager manually put it in for you since you forgot the email." That was only a few weeks ago. I still laugh about that working.

On a more aggravating note, I've been stopping at a few GC's just to try guitars and see what I'm feeling for my next purchase. The GC bro's see this as I'm going to buy every guitar I touch so they flock. When one of them daydreams without noticing me wander to a different section of guitars another bro swoops in "hey bro, I'm Broseph is there anything I can help you with?" The other guy gets salty, barges over with "I've got this... so what do you think of that guitar?" And the process repeats.

I was looking at PRS and EBMM and this guy was so set on me trying out their new Gibson's. He kept taking guitars off the wall while I was trying a BFR JP6, "here man, we just got this in it's a ummm... (looks at tag) oh yea, a LP Studio." I lost track of how many I turned down even after telling him Gibson is not a comfortable guitar for my playing needs. So he'd then run over to his computer and yell for me to come look at other Gibson's he'd order from the website for me while I was trying to play guitars they had in store.

I got fed up and went to see if they had any short speaker cables since I left mine at the last show we played. He popped up behind me practically giving me a shoulder massage "what kind of cable do you need? Banana? We've got some nice Monster 15+ footers." At that point, I just walked out. I've had girlfriend's that are less clingy than GC reps. If only they understood that not everyone wants/needs their hand held, they'd catch on that they can make more sales without hawking around customers. I'm there because I need something and I'll probably buy if the damn rep stops trying to follow me around for body massages the entire time.

Out of aggravation, I'll be driving an extra 20+ miles to go to another GC to make my purchase this weekend.

16. blckrnblckt

blckrnblckt SS.org Regular

Once, I went to Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA, and the salesman called the quilt top a flame top. He also tried to convince me that either the Ibanez RG series was higher end than the Ibanez S series, which suprised me since they are two separate lines.

17. JaxoBuzzo

JaxoBuzzo ....ing river pirate

Hey! I work at Guitar Center!

18. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

There's a local guitar shop by me, called 'Joe's Music'. The guy has no prices on his guitars, and if you ask him, he just sizes you up and gives you a hefty price so he can make the most money off you. It's always way above the listing price of the guitar.

Nobody in my family will ever buy an instrument from him.

19. TheStig1214

TheStig1214 Mr. Tophat Jones

How long has he been there? I don't see him lasting that long.

20. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Back in about March or April, I went into one of the local stores to order some picks. JD Jazztone 208s. They have a drawer for them in their display, but it's always empty. So I order a bag, paying the full price up front.

A few months later, in July, I realize "You know, I never did get those picks or even a call back about them." I go back to the store. They can't find my order. The woman that took the order has been canned for skimming off the top. The sales rep there now speculates that she probably pocketed the money. He promises to order a bag of the picks and not to charge me.

Fast forward to September. I've been calling once every couple weeks. I talk to the same guy each time who insists "yeah man, they're on their way."

Finally I talk to someone else. Not only can he not find an order in their system at all, but apparently that second guy has been flaking out on all kinds of orders and ordering other things that he shouldn't be. The guy was fired like a week later.

Now, this is where it turns into a good salesman story, because the third guy really went out of his way to make things right. When I told him that I paid for these picks months ago, he relayed that to his boss. The boss actually came back and said "sorry man, there's no record, so we'll have to charge you if you want them." This third guy actually went ".... that" to the degree that he paid for another order of this bag of picks out of his own pocket rather than disappoint me. A few days later, they arrived. I gave him a pick to try out for his trouble, and it turns out that he loves the thing.

AxeHappy likes this.