Horizon devices Precision Drive

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by soldierkahn, Dec 1, 2018.

1. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

Was watching a couple of the demo vids for the precision drive, and it looks like it can accomplish two things for me in one but was wondering if anyone had any experience personally with the pedal. Im not trying to be a fanboy, just looking at what it actually offers. I have tone that I would love to "clear" up like the pedal did for his tone in the Sweetwater demo, but I also saw that it rocks a noise gate as well. Ive alreayd got an ISP Decimator (the original, not the G-string one), which does get the job done per say, but was wondering if the gate in the Precision Drive was any better?

$220 is a lot for a pedal, but if it can do what i believe it will fix, it will be more than worth it to me. I believe this issue is what has been holding me back on using different tonewoods etc. The lack of clarity in the upper mids has always been a pain.

2. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I’m pretty sure there is an old 76 page thread about this pedal buried in the SS.org archives somewhere. It’s been covered Ad nauseum. Do a search and I’m sure you’ll find it.

soldierkahn likes this.
  3. soldierkahn

much appreciated. im not the greatest at using the search function on here lol

4. soldierkahn

the only results i get for Horizon Devices is the "Nano Attack". Searching by Precision Drive doesnt yield much more usable results.

5. FitRocker33

I’m pretty sure there is a big thread somewhere about it if you look, but in the meantime. What specific questions do you have about it? I’ve owned one in the past, as well as a maxon 808 and my current fortin grind. Maybe I can answer something for ya.

6. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

The PD is a great pedal and is super versatile.

The gate is great but it isn't anywhere the one you currently have. However they would probably work well in tandem.

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

try this syntax in google...
    precision drive site:sevenstring.org

soldierkahn likes this.
  8. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

If you got the precision drive, what would your signal chain look like?

When I bought one a few months ago, I didn't have a gate, so my idea was to replace my overdrive Maxon OD808 with the PD to combine the OD and gate features, keeping the pedal chain simple. However, upon testing it out, for my particular signal chain (into a Revv G3 -> Fender Excelsior) I much preferred the Maxon OD808. So I ended up selling the PD. IIRC, I bought it used for $170 and sold it for the same price.

I think the only way you can truly know if it works for you is to test it out yourself. For me, I'll be sticking with the OD808 and picking up a Fortin Zuul in the very near future.

soldierkahn likes this.
  9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Totally disagree with it being versatile -- it's a one truck pony with varying degrees of that trick. But if you like Misha's sound, it definitely pushed you in that direction. I think the Misha's vid with the Yamaha is pretty indicative of it really -- just going from some amp with a lot of mush gain to that tight, percussive honky sound. Most of my amps sound pretty bad with it but it works well with my more high gain stuff.

10. soldierkahn

my main question about it has to deal with the Noise Gate. More particularly, the comparison between the Gate built into the PD as compared to the original ISP decimator. I love the Decimator, but the original struggles with a knife edge balancing act between tight gate and choked notes.

I can already tell that its going to help me shape my tone so that part im not too curious about, I just would like to know if the gate in the PD is better than my Decimator. Id love to remove the Decimator if the PD can at least compete with its competance.

11. soldierkahn

Thanks Hollowway, ill have to remember that one for the future

Hollowway likes this.
  12. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

It cant. It helps cut noise down from the boost. But your decimator is way better. Buy a Zuul then find an OD that suits you

13. soldierkahn

signal chain: Ibanez RG970XL - EMTY pickups - ISP Decimator - Amp

I am fairly certain I will be endlessly mocked for my current rig(this IS sso right?), but the problem that I am having is extremely similar to the demo. When Im playing, i have to deal with loose bass because if i cut too much low end out, the tone becomes shrill. At about the 6:30 mark in the below video, Misha plays the amp with the pedal off, then he turns it on and plays again. Without losing the low end, it seemed like the mids and high mids are pushed further to the front balancing the tone out a lot better. This has always been my complaint with almost every amp Ive played, that I cant get a tight enough low end while retaining those High Mids for palm-muting crunch(this was what drove me to search out different pickups, thinking they could solve the problem). I have always had to just "settle" for whatever I could get. But with the addition of the noise gate feature into it seemed like it would do both jobs that im asking of it.

Was originally going to go for the Invective 2x12 like Misha has in the video, but with me not even in a group currently, i cant justify spending $2750 for an amp that is way too overpowered for a small house. Im not trying to just buy everything that Misha uses, its just hard to deny an amp that looks boss and sounds killer as well. I found an old amp I used to have that I really loved so Im gonna go after it instead, the discontinued Line 6 Spider Valve MKII. Allows me to have enough power to compete with my brother when we jam together, but will also allow me to play at low volumes when everyone is sleeping (most of my playing occurs between 10pm and 6am lol).

oops forget to include the video im referencing:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  14. FitRocker33

Also, because the PD is in Front of the amp It won’t reduce amp noise like In the fx loop.

soldierkahn likes this.
  15. soldierkahn

ahh okay, so the consensus really is that the original Decimator is a better gate than the PD, so using them together might be a great idea. It might make it to where I can open my Decimators threshold a little more and not get so much choked off sound?

16. soldierkahn

Line 6 Spider 3 has a built in gate that reduces a lot of the hum at the amp (doesnt help prevent screaming feedback at loud volumes, but thats why i picked up the decimator.), and I cant remember if the SV MKII has a dedicated FX loop. I never really have much going on signal chain wise. I dont even have a wah pedal currently lol. Its literally, guitar-> ISP-> amp lol.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

I own both a decimator and the pd. the decimator is a far better gate. The PD gate shaves high end off along with hum/feedback, whereas the decimator is less indiscriminate and doesn't shave off the high end like the PD.
    As far as versatility goes, it is relatively versatile imo. It's pretty good for lower gain mild OD sounds, but it also works well for boosting an already high gain sound. I wouldn't recommend it by itself if you're trying to drive a clean channel, it just doesn't have that much gain on tap compared to the maxon od808x, mxr m77 or airis savage drive.
    The attack knob essentially takes you from mid boost esque tubescreamer territory to disgusting borderline unusable clanky tones.
    YMMV

soldierkahn likes this.
  18. soldierkahn

thank you! Yeah, im starting to see from most of the reviews that the gate in it is definitely left wanting and not to be used as a sole gate. Im hoping that if I run both pedals, I could back off on my Decimator a little bit more than i do now so its not choking things as much, but what im most hoping for was that clarity i heard in the video. That amp sound before the pedal is turned on is very close to what I have now, and I cant tweak my eq anymore because turning one knob changes more than just the highs. But being able to maintain that same tone but being able to make it more clear with the mids and high mids, seems like a perfect fix for whats urking me in my current sound.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

any decent TS style OD will chop out some low end and add in high end/mids or upper mids, which tightens up and gives a more aggressive sound to a lot of amps. The mxr m77 is a really good cheap option besides the staple od808/ts808 pedals, and it'll do exactly what you need.
    My biggest complaint about the Precision drive is that it's not as tweakable as I'd like. The savage drive is a good alternative if you need more tweakability in terms of eq. You could also just run a 10 band eq pedal to really finetune your sound. The caline eq pedal is like 40$ new.
    The gate on the pd is fine, but running it concurrently with the decimator will prob be overkill ime

soldierkahn likes this.
  20. soldierkahn

awesome! ill have to give this some real though then. WHats probably going to end up happening is ill wait to get the rig im going to stick with, then start getting some OD/TS pedals to do a shootout and find which one has the flavor i want.