Homebuilt Blackmachine Clone-Baritone 7

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by penguin_316, Apr 20, 2013.

1. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,

I don't claim to be a luthier by any means. I have minimal power tools and my workshop was literally my driveway. Having said that, this guitar has a few aesthetic mishaps but plays beautifully and sounds amazing. Start date was 2.5 months ago...

Specs:
    Body- Semi-chambered American Mahoghany with Black Walnut top and white ABS binding. The neck is compression clamped ala wood nut bolts for max sustain and sound transfer.

Neck- 27.5" neck. Curly Maple with Purpleheart stinger(fat ass stinger, purpleheart is a rock and I love it in all my baritones for stability). Strandberg-esque neck profile similar to an Endurneck (however, it is NOT an Endurneck...I did it by hand and just kinda winged it)

Headstock- is Black Walnut

Fretboard- is African Ebony and very beautiful up close (I still need to buff/polish the fretboard a lot but since I'm plying the instrument now that may take awhile). Luminlay blue side dots. Frets are 6100 jumbo Jim Dunlop nickel. Nut is Graphtech Black Tusq XL.

Hardware- Hipshot Black bridge, Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat 7 (Distressed Camo), Black Sperzel Trimlok tuners, Black Dome Knob, Fishman Switchjack endpin jack, Stewmac Shielding paint for all cavities, Alpha push-pull pot (Volume knob with push-pull for humbucker or single coil from the Cold Sweat)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sounds clips soon to come but I just bought a new PC and have no DAW or any VSTs/plug-ins installed yet.:shred:

2. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

Nice-really like that top!

3. penguin_316

Oh and one other thing. I machined that back string retainer from a block of brass, which to my surprise wasnt that hard to work with being metal and all.

4. AwDeOh

AwDeOh SS.org Regular

I see plenty of potential in the finished product despite the errors, mistakes are only bad if you don't learn from them. The binding and top are well done.

Looks like you had some trouble with the routing, did you use templates?

5. penguin_316

I did the routing by hand because my jigs kept coming up shitty because the MDF I had wasn't getting alone with my handheld electric saw. It kept leaving uneven edges...the thing is, if I had a proper setup all the errors could have been avoided.

Honestly though, it sounds really good. Better than my carvin 727 and my JP7. Both Ill be selling shortly.

6. AwDeOh

AwDeOh SS.org Regular

^ Definitely, keen to hear clips.

It's pretty difficult to make a pickup/cavity template with a jigsaw, the only case you'd want to do that in is for a body/headstock template, which you'd finish on a drum sander. The most accurate way is to set up something like this:

[​IMG]

So for your pickup cavity, you'd make something like that and follow it with a template follower or a pattern follow bit, cutting into the MDF intended to be the final template, then make a second box to cut the pickup wing cavity.

7. penguin_316

I would have thought of that, if I wasn't so caught up in the momentum of wanting to finish it to play asap.

Patience, it really is the toughest virtue :) The finish is also a work in progress, takes time to build those oil layers up. I guess the guitar isnt technically finished...but since I'm playing it I figured I'd share.

I'm gonna throw up a youtube clip here from my iphone in a min, if I can get it working.

8. penguin_316

Ok hella sloppy playing lol, I have been building and not playing. Regardless, here you go. Sorry the quility is horrid, Iphone 4 vid/audio is pretty lackluster.
    EDIT: and if you couldn't tell from the video, this thing is very loud acoustically. In a good way :)

9. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

10. penguin_316

Ah ok cool, I didn't even know about that thread. i guess i should post this in the "sevenstring guitars" section as well.

11. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

Does indeed sound quite nice, and very nice job on the guitar! Hope to see some more in the future :)

12. penguin_316

Someone asked me, so i figured I'd answer here. When I say "Alto 15 inch cab" I mean "Alto 15 inch FRFR powered monitor".

13. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Purpleheart is a ROCK? You put a ROCK in your guitar neck????

14. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

What happened to the neck pocket?

EDIT: Sorry... I just re-read the OP. Pretty good work if you have minimal tools and aren't a luthier.

15. nutsock

nutsock SS.org Regular

Turned out nice! Awesome job!

16. penguin_316

2 thing happened to the neck.

#1)Of all the routes the neck pocket was absolutely perfect, straight and even etc etc. Keep in mind I was doing this freehand laying on my driveway lol. I had planned on making the neck a few mm oversized on the top and bottom because I absolutely hate when my low or high string frets out.

However, when I got my set of 6100 Dunlop frets though they weren't long enough to cover that extra distance so I had to make the neck a bit smaller where it bolts on.

#2 The slight tilt to bridge was not an accident. I did this to accommodate bigger intonation corrections for the longer scale and possible thicker strings if I wanted to tune down to F or something. So its offset by like 2 mm. Great idea right?

Well I forgot this meant I'd need a marginal tilt to the neck as well to have the strings lined up correctly. So had to route the neck pocket out more.

The second time though, the router had a mind of its own :(

17. penguin_316

Yea I did. My old bands guitarist and I both owned Ibanez MMM1 Mike Mushok model 6 string baritones. They have a huge strip of purpleheart down them and are the most stable necks I've ever played on. Literally, they stay in tune for months sitting on a rack.

Purpleheart, can't say enough good things about it.

18. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Have you considered gluing in some pieces of wood along the sides of the neck pocket and rerouting it to be a tighter fit? Or are you chalking this up as more of a learning experience? All things considered it doesn't look to bad, though you may want to invest in some sort of table to route on and some scrap plywood for templates. :lol: The volute could use some work but as long as the guitar plays to your liking then that's all that really matters. Also, nice work with the brass plate on the back for the string through bridge!

19. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

Just to be clear, Purpleheart is not a rock as in a stone. It's a tree, but a very stiff one.

20. penguin_316

Due to the method of the bolt on neck with T-nut screws the neck is compression clamped way tighter than a typical bolt on. There is no tone loss from the sides of the neck pocket not touching.

As far as looks go, well I've thought about it but I dont think its that big of a deal. I'm a hobbyist after all.

I used the same method as Darren from Decibel guitars, because in theory it just sounded too good not to try. Look up his DB1 build to see the T-nuts in the neck and body.