Home-made Recording Studio Desk(IMG heavy)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Najka, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Najka

Najka Meow-core

So I wanted a desk with a lot of workspace. Even cheap small desks are a lot of money.. I decided to try and make one. It came out pretty well, so here is what I did. Anyone else who is going to attempt this can hopefully find some use out of this thread. I really saved a ton of money, and I have something that is nice and unique. The entire project took me a week to complete, between cutting the wood with my hand saw, sanding, letting the stain and poly dry and clean up. I spent about 2 hours a day, but it was well worht it.

It is 8x4, so I have plenty of room, it's killer. It doubles as a work bench!

I started off by walking into Home Depot, I literally just winged this whole process. I have little carpenter skills, so don't judge.

Tools: Power drill

Hand Saw

Brush

Sandpaper/sand block

[​IMG]
    I found a big piece of wood, yay!
    29.99, 8x5 sheet of wood.. cool.

I grabbed a couple 2X4's from the cheap wood bin, and had the Home Depot employe cut them both into 8 35" pieces.
    I had him cut the 8x5 sheet of wood length ways about a foot from the top.
    [​IMG]
    Okay, if you are an amature carpenter like myself, do yourself a favor, and drill holes in the wood before you attempt to put the screws in.
    For extra strength, I paired the pieces togther to make the legs like so..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bam, screwed the legs right onto the table top.

[​IMG]
    I picked up some cheap 8' pieces of wood, they were $2.99 a pop. connected all the legs along the bottom, to keep the foundation sturdy. I kept the front of the desk open.
    [​IMG]

with some of the left over scraps from the base of the desk I fashioned them together, screwed them to the top of the desk, and laid the 1x8' piece of wood cut off the 8x5 on top. (hope I'm not confusing you, the pictures should explain)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a desk now! If you are doing this your self make sure to are taking very good measurments, and you use a wood block or somethig to make the cuts nice and even. I just scored the wood where I wanted to cut with a pencil and hacked away at it with the saw. I ended up having to force pieces together. bad mojo.
    [​IMG]
    screwed a peice on each side, help reinforce the desk and gave it a cleaner look. ( I'm totally just winging everything here)
    [​IMG]
    Bam. Now the top part is nice and sturdy! thanks to my trusty power drill and my ingenious meticulously placed pieces of scrap wood.
    [​IMG]
    Bam, I don't know, it looks cool.
    [​IMG]
    Planning on putting the computer here, so it's off the ground (never happends..)
    [​IMG]
    8' piece along the back, it really helped with keeping the top piece more sturdy.
    [​IMG]
    I found a 1"x8' strip of molding, fit perfectly over the edge. nice little touch.
    I used liquid Nails to adhease it.
    This is also out if the molding section. They had all kinds of stuff that you could use to ornate your desk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sand the desk Before you apply the stain. Please, do not skip this, I tried to and it came out like S***.
    Also, Don't use the Poly/Stain all in one..it sucks. I stained the whole desk with it. Came out horrible, so I barrowed my friends power sander, and sanded the whole desk again. Big fat waste of time.
    I went back and got the stain called "honey" and a can of Poly. I applied the stain with a rag, gave it a couple coats. Then applied the poly. I put 3 coats of poly on mine. Put it on light. I didn't sand in between coats because I was afraid it would scuff the poly up. Next time I do this, I plan to get the finest sandpaper I can find and lightly sand in between coats to keep the surface smooth. Invest in a decent brush when applying the poly. It will suck when pieces of your cheap brush start falling off onto you hard work.

[​IMG]
    yay! now my whole apartment wreaks of poly.
    I put a 2x4 under the top sheet of wood, about 7 inches from the front edge to act as support, to keep the top less flimsy. Then I added this handy keyboard shelf. I found it at Office Max.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also picked up a sweet chair at Office Max!
    Bam studio desk! total cost: $90, i could have spent less if I had not bought that stupid Polyshades all in one stain/poly.

[​IMG]

You should watch The Decent, it's pretty brutal.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out!

2. TraitorsEyes

TraitorsEyes SS.org Regular

damn, that's sexy.

Najka likes this.
  3. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

Great job, it looks amazing!

Najka likes this.
  4. ooidort

ooidort SS.org Regular

Next step: paint the walls with something dark to really mesh everything together. Looks awesome as is though.

Najka likes this.
  5. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

Nice! Very inspiring. Makes me want to give it a go.

Najka likes this.
  6. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

That's really impressive! I was actually impressed by the 8th pic but the finished product is a beautiful workstation!

Najka likes this.
  7. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Very nicely done.

Najka likes this.
  8. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

Awesome work, sweet setup you've got there :D

Najka likes this.
  9. Najka

Najka Meow-core

Thanks for the comments!!

10. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

Wow !! Turned out great.

Najka likes this.
  11. sh4z

sh4z SS.org Regular

Looks Great! I would've opted for a chair with no arm rests or removable arm rests. As they tend to get in the way if you want to sit in front of the pc with the guitar. Looks like you might be able to take them off. Only problem is it might be supporting the back of the chair! :lol:

Awesome work anyways :metal:

Najka likes this.
  12. Najka

Najka Meow-core

Yeah, the chair was kind of a compromise between lounging and comftorability with the guitar. I spend hours on end mixing, and it was pretty comfy for the price. It was on clearance so I couldn't pass it up. I have a couch in the background I normally sit in when I start tracking or jamming

13. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Figured it would end up looking okay, but it sure livened up with that stain. Looks way better than any sub-$150 desk for sure!

Najka likes this.
  14. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

Super classy and lots of workspace! I suggest you get a pair of Auralex Mopads or something similar for your monitors to sit on... you'll probably notice that the sound clears up a lot.

Najka likes this.
  15. XxSilverburstDiezelxX

XxSilverburstDiezelxX Audio Engineer

GREAT JOB! Now just get the new PRO PADS from auralex and decouple dem moniterzzzzz.

Najka likes this.
  16. Hourglass1117

Hourglass1117 Banned

This is so classy.

17. geoffshreds

geoffshreds SS.org Regular

your desk turned out nice man. here is a couple pics of a desk that i just finished. i can definitely agree that the all in one stain/poly stuff is total crap! i started doing mine a reddish/mahogany color and it was looking horrible, so i did the same thing and took the belt sander to it. decided just to leave mine natural/poly. i like your stain a lot though. how much did you spend in parts, and how many labor hours?

Attached Files:

Najka likes this.
  18. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

holy fuck. I paid 870$ with shipping for my studio desk, I am so fucking gelly. Nice work broski

Najka likes this.
  19. Najka

Najka Meow-core

$90 but I wasted like $12 on the polyshades all in one.

It took a week, about 1-2 hours a night. The polyshades and having to resand it put me back a day.

Nice work on your desks! I really like the first one

20. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

DUDE! That's freaking awesome!!! Great job. :yesway:

Najka likes this.