Holy Diver/ VHII in an RGA121?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Chrisesp, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Chrisesp

Chrisesp SS.org Regular

I'm on the hunt for some new pickups for my RGA121. I had the Tone Zone and PAF Pro in there previously, loved the PAF Pro but the Tone Zone I found a bit too bass heavy for anything other than E standard/Drop D.

I've got a lead on a cheap BKP Holy diver bridge and VHII neck. Would these work well in my RGA121? Bearing in mind I like my bridge pickups tight and with quite a bit of bite and brightness. And would the VHII pair well as a neck pickup?

Thanks.

2. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

I also had an RGA121 with a Tone Zone, and felt the same way as you; not tight enough. I also had a D-Sonic in there at one point, which is my go to for basswood guitars, and it actually felt a bit too tight and "stiff" in the midrange there. Likely due to the 1/4" maple top.

I currently have an RG8 with a Holy Diver set that I scored used here for a decent price. The Holy Diver is alnico, so it's not the tightest or most modern sounding pickup. You may prefer a ceramic magnet bridge pickup based on your description, which I also prefer (especially for an 8).

If the price is right, I'd say it's worth trying out though. The Holy Diver should be a bit tighter and brighter than the Tone Zone, though again, not as tight as a ceramic pickup.

I have no experience with the VHII.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickup hoarder

magnet has nothing to do with how tight sounding a pickup is, that's more inherent to how much wire is wound round the coils and polepieces used. anyways i have the 6 string version of the holy diver and it's plenty tight and responsive for metal of any kind. for this situation though, i'd say try and grab a rebel yell or painkiller, they're brighter and more aggressive,though depending on how inherently bright your rig/guitar already sound, they may be obnoxiously bright.

4. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

I've got a SD Sentient and Nazgul set - it's tight and works well in a RGA321f.

5. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

i have the set in a basswood rg project guitar and they work very well. the HD bridge is a little tighter than an SD custom with a similar voicing